AuthorTopic: engine rebuilds  (Read 2630 times)

Offline plugger

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
engine rebuilds
« on: December 22, 2005, 15:38:23 »
My 2.5TD is getting breathless lately, needs a complete rebuild as blowing like a steam train with the breather removed. any recommendations in the Northants area for a garage capable of this?

Offline pedro

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 20:13:03 »
i had a 2.5td in mine and rebuilt it and it still only scraped though emissions. Year later it failed.
If you want my advice get a 200tdi from a defender if possible.
It will bot shreight in on the same gearbox and engine mounts.
A lot less work in the long run and will probably be cheaper.

Pedro

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 21:16:57 »
Thanks Pedro

It was the way I wanted to go but I've scoured the spares sites and apparently 200tdi's are getting few and far between.
Live in hope though, I've got 10 months to run on the MOT so a little time to trawl still.

Bob

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
engine rebuilds
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 21:29:28 »
Quote from: "plugger"
Thanks Pedro

It was the way I wanted to go but I've scoured the spares sites and apparently 200tdi's are getting few and far between.
Live in hope though, I've got 10 months to run on the MOT so a little time to trawl still.

Bob

theres loads of 200's but you just got to look,i got one which gad been rebuilt for next to nothing,bit o a mix n match (disco turbo & manifolds etc on a defender block) & it cost me less than 1k to have a nearly new engine

200s with broken belts are the best ones to buy  :wink:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
engine rebuilds
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 21:30:35 »
Quote from: "pedro"
i had a 2.5td in mine and rebuilt it and it still only scraped though emissions. Year later it failed.
If you want my advice get a 200tdi from a defender if possible.
It will bot shreight in on the same gearbox and engine mounts.
A lot less work in the long run and will probably be cheaper.

Pedro

so will a disco tdi,just need to mod the exhaust & its a cheaper conversion,more disco 200s than def about & got slightly more power  :wink:
Mike

Offline BigA

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 09:43:55 »
Plugger, i think dazzawhipple has a 200TDI he is wants to get rid of, and he is not far from us, Towcester i think??

Let me know if you decide to go down this route, as i have been thinking of swapping my 2.5TD out for a while now, like to see how it goes. Happy to give you a hand if needed (mind you ob past experience, you would probably be better off without my help :oops: )
1978 Series III 88"

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 13:45:52 »
[/quote]
so will a disco tdi,just need to mod the exhaust & its a cheaper conversion,more disco 200s than def about & got slightly more power  :wink:[/quote]

Thanks

Sounds like the way to go. Just gotta find a frienly garage and an engine... no probs. there then!

Bob

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 13:53:04 »
Quote from: "BigA"
Plugger, i think dazzawhipple has a 200TDI he is wants to get rid of, and he is not far from us, Towcester i think??

Let me know if you decide to go down this route, as i have been thinking of swapping my 2.5TD out for a while now, like to see how it goes. Happy to give you a hand if needed (mind you ob past experience, you would probably be better off without my help :oops: )

Thanks Big A

I'm not far from Towcester, have you contact details for dazzawhipple? Is the engine still in situ and running, able to be tested?
Reply off forum if neccessary.

regards

Bob

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
engine rebuilds
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 18:04:18 »

so will a disco tdi,just need to mod the exhaust & its a cheaper conversion,more disco 200s than def about & got slightly more power  :wink:[/quote]

Thanks

Sounds like the way to go. Just gotta find a frienly garage and an engine... no probs. there then!

Bob[/quote]
if you need some info/advice give us a shout or theres a few others whio have done the conversion on MC
Mike

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 22:40:09 »
Quote from: "BigA"

Thanks Big A

I'm not far from Towcester, have you contact details for dazzawhipple? Is the engine still in situ and running, able to be tested?
Reply off forum if neccessary.

regards

Bob

Bob

Its still in the disco complete and can be heard running(there is a choice of 2!!!),  Engines into 90 's easy I put a V8 in my 90 dont really need a garage to do it just a drive and a good weekend and you should have it done

Very easy to do the bit that costs the money is the extras Ie Rad, Intercooler, header tank, PAS etc

I have pm you with contact numbers etc

Darren
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 10:54:09 »
[/quote]

Bob

Its still in the disco complete and can be heard running(there is a choice of 2!!!),  Engines into 90 's easy I put a V8 in my 90 dont really need a garage to do it just a drive and a good weekend and you should have it done

Very easy to do the bit that costs the money is the extras Ie Rad, Intercooler, header tank, PAS etc

Darren[/quote]

Thanks darren I've not had the pm yet though, does it go to my email address or MC messages inbox.
 You can tell i'm new to all this stuff!

Also
I've  stuff been looking at your gallery, do you get to do much green-laning locally, preferably non-breaking type.

Regards

Bob

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 10:56:13 »

Bob

Darren[/quote]

Thanks darren I've not had the pm yet though, does it go to my email address or MC messages inbox.
 You can tell i'm new to all this stuff!

Also
I've  stuff been looking at your gallery, do you get to do much green-laning locally, preferably non-breaking type.

Regards

Bob[/quote]

Oops not sure where the "stuff" re your gallery came from

Bob

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 11:02:51 »
Quote from: "RedlineMike"

if you need some info/advice give us a shout or theres a few others whio have done the conversion on MC[/quote]

Thanks
I'll take you up on that when the time comes

Cheers

Bob

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
engine rebuilds
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 12:20:02 »
will you be fitting ityourself or will you be paying some1 to fit it?

if your getting some1 to fit it for you id advise you to get the steveparker turbo manifold,i made mine to fit but i have access to the facilitys to do sutch
Mike

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 13:29:55 »

if your getting some1 to fit it for you id advise you to get the steveparker turbo manifold,i made mine to fit but i have access to the facilitys to do sutch

Hi What's a Steve Parker manifold? is there somewhere I can refer to for instructions on what needs doing to convert from the 2.5TD to a 200TDi? It's  sounding more daunting by the minute. I knew I'd need to source an intercooler (does the Disco one fit?) but it seems I'll need a new rad plus other bits.

Bob

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 14:00:45 »
Bob you should have a bit at the top right of the screen .....it should say you have a new message

I will try to email you

Darren
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 14:20:40 »
Quote from: "dazzawhipple"
Bob you should have a bit at the top right of the screen .....it should say you have a new message

I will try to email you

Darren

Thanks Darren

It doesn't show any message from you.

Bob

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 14:23:57 »
okay email direct at darren.mumford@virgin.net

Darren
G'Day

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
engine rebuilds
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 15:28:39 »

Hi What's a Steve Parker manifold? is there somewhere I can refer to for instructions on what needs doing to convert from the 2.5TD to a 200TDi? It's  sounding more daunting by the minute. I knew I'd need to source an intercooler (does the Disco one fit?) but it seems I'll need a new rad plus other bits.

Bob

you need an intercooler n rad,the disco 1 fits but have to mod the bottom pins sloghtly (move them i think)
all the intercooler hoses need to be made up to size,the air box needs to be relocated,either git longer oil cooler hoses made up or blank of the holes in the filter housing,put new ends on the fuel pipes (only 1 neds redoing as the others can be manipulated to fit) if you use the steve parker manifold you dont need to mod the bulkhead,move the clutch pipe over about 2 inchs to maintain air gap between it & the turbo,the engine mounts etc are the same,instead of studs you will need to put bolts in the bottom of the bellhousing (mind n remove the dowel on the pas side  :wink: )
there are a few other bits but ill try n remember what i had to do on mine
Mike

Offline plugger

Attack Member
engine rebuilds
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 17:23:23 »

.....there are a few other bits but ill try n remember what i had to do on mine

I'm not sure I'll be technical enough to do all that, sounds like I better try for straight swap for the 2.5TD

Offline plugger

Attack Member
200TDi conversion
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 21:46:30 »
I've sourced the Disco 200TDi so I'll have a working if tired 2.5TD up for grabs and the rest of the J reg Disco to break, anybody interested?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal