AuthorTopic: Low Oil Presure on 300tdi  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Sooty

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Low Oil Presure on 300tdi
« on: April 05, 2004, 21:19:33 »
Hi All
I have a 300tdi with low oil presure, :cry:  before I start taking the dam thing to bits has anyone got any ideas on when it may be?
Does anyone know if you can get the oil pump out on a 300tdi without dismantling the engine?
BTW it is also smoking a lot and missing but I think that is another problem, Injectors maybe!!
Cheers
Bev
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Lucy-Jo

Re: Low Oil Presure on 300tdi
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 22:02:22 »
Quote from: "Sooty"
Hi All
I have a 300tdi with low oil presure, :cry:  before I start taking the dam thing to bits has anyone got any ideas on when it may be?
Does anyone know if you can get the oil pump out on a 300tdi without dismantling the engine?

How many miles has it done?

Low oil pressure can be caused by a worn out oil pump, or big end or main bearing wear.

I haven't done this job on a 300, but I believe the oil pump is simple to remove - sump pan off (lots of bolts), then two bolts (with locking tabs) hold the pump into the bottom of the engine.

I suggest a bit of diagnosis to work out what the problem is would be wise before diving underneath and changing your pump. There is no point taking the sump pan off, changing the pump and reassembling it all if you are then going to have to take the pan straight back off again to sort out the big ends or bearing shells.

Let us know what you find when you do!

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 22:47:09 »
Hi Lucy Jo
I also have not done a 300tdi before thats why I am asking for guidence but I think you will find the 300tdi has the pump on the front of the engine not in the sump like the 200tdi and therefore I was hoping somebody who has removed a pump on a 300tdi could tell me if it can be removed easily.
As regards to taking the sump off and not checking the big ends if the big ends go on a diesel you know it as ear defenders are required for about 1 minute and then a bag of sawdust to cover the oil all over the drive, with a comprestion ratio of 20:1 plus they don't nomally knock for long.
Thanks for your input and I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Bev
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 08:46:17 »
Hi All
Just a comment on this problem.
After taking advice from more than one source it was dicided that both problems were caused by head gasket gone between number 4 cylinder and the oil ducts.
Removed the head on Friday (easter bank holiday) and the head looks like an ice rink after a good hockey match, some numskull has scraped it with a wall paper scrapper a no no on a ally head.
will get the head machined and refitted and we will see.
Cheers for now
Bev
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal