AuthorTopic: Optima Battary?  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Optima Battary?
« on: December 20, 2005, 20:42:38 »
Hay there, I need to get a new battary for my Range Rover. I was going for a optima yellow top battary untill I spoke to the guys at Scorpion, they said that they used to use optima but have changed to a Exide maxima 900 dc as they think its a better battary. I have not got a winch yet but may do in the futre, my only requirments for the battary is that it will be ok working at -30 (trip to norway year after next) and it will last. What do you all think, and which one do you think I should go for, and does any one use anything different that they think is better than both of these? Thanks alot Merry Christmas

Jonny

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 20:56:22 »
I would buy a big Samson for £40ish it will do you fine.  Then buy the mega battery if/when the winch arrives.  

Norway is cool (pun intended), been twice.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 21:20:42 »
Did they say why they thought the Exide was better ?  

I've not used them Exide, but I can vouch for the Optima.. works very well in most conditions I've thrown at it.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 21:26:26 »
Can't help you with the low temperature's you'll be facing  8)

All I can add is I've had two Exide's fitted for the last 18 months and they have been fine to date, and I've thrown a lot of winching at them.

hth

Dave
WIP ........ just Keeps Changing .......

SW

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Optima Battary?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 23:30:43 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Did they say why they thought the Exide was better ?

Maybe it's cos they sell Exide & not Optima?  :twisted:

Jonny, If it's just a starter battery you're after at this stage then, with Optima, you may be better off with the Optima Red Top. The Yellow Top is a deep cycle battery and designed for applications that may completely flatted the battery and it lasts longer when repeatedly recharged from flat.

Get a yellow top to power the winch and use a red top to start the vehicle.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Ummmmm
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 21:26:21 »
Thanks guys, Jim thanks for your reply, did you do anything else to you Land Rover to take it out to Norway? And Did you have to get stud tyres fited when you got there? I have been told that you have to have studed tyres fited when dirving in the winter. What about your engine, gearbox oil? Is there anything that you would recomend me to do/take with me.

Tim, they said they stoped selling optima because they tryed the maxima and thought it was better?........ They said that they had had a few optimas returned put no Maximas... and I guss they are only selling the Maxima!

Dave, Did you fit the Maximua 900dc? if so did you get a good price on them? The best I can get is £149 can you beat that?

muddyweb, I did think about just geting the red top but I thought go for the best I could get i.e. the yellow top and the Maxima could, if need be handle a winch, which would save me having to buy another battary..... does that make sence?

Thanks all again Merry Christmas

Jonny

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Re: Ummmmm
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 21:35:36 »
Quote from: "Jonny Boaterboy"
Jim thanks for your reply, did you do anything else to you Land Rover to take it out to Norway?

We had snow chains i think they are a requirement for winter over there unless you have the studs.  But to be honest they close any roads that are too bad anyway so we never used them.  We did nothing to the truck, except the rad muff and a good service, 2nd spare tyre and spares cos Landys are rare in Scandinavia.  What time of year are you going, i went in may 2002 and july 2005 so never got the full on winter experence?  I guess ya know about the prices......OUCH :shock:
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 21:39:24 »
Ive had a single Optima battery in my 110 for 5 years now. Never had any probs at all.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 21:51:28 »
Nice one Jim, So it sounds like I can leave my alltarains on and get some snow chains, where is best to get them, over there or here, and did you have a set for just the front or did you have front and rear. Im planing to go in jan-feb so its going to be cold last year when we were out there it got to -32 Did you take any detail about Land Rover stockest, or any clubs that are out there? What about sat nav? I dont have the money yet but im planing a sat nav for the trip.

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 21:59:02 »
When i went this year i borrowed Tom-Tom and it was a godsend theres no way we could have driven through Bergen and Gothenburg without it.  There are no stockists for LR in Norway as far as i know, theres a couple in Sweden best to take a few bits.  We had four 750/16 chains bought over here and dont buy anything over there as prices are nuts.  I can supply Email of the Swedish LR club if you want it maybe they can help.  How do you get around at that time of year, i thought the main routes got closed? Hope your sleeping bag is good!

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 22:08:32 »
Johnny
Yes they are the 900dc.  When I bought the Exide's they were 120 + VAT each (£141) but that was over a year ago  from Scorpion, so I 'spose £149 is about the going rate now.  I heard cheaper prices bandied about but never tracked any down so .......  bit the bullet  :oops:

Just don't tell the Mrs  :shock:

Dave
WIP ........ just Keeps Changing .......

SW

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 22:43:21 »
Thanks Dave, will do, have the money in the bank so best spend it befor the bills come in!

Jim, Yes the e-mail of the Swedish LR club would be great, as for the roads the main routes are kept open where possiable and you tend to be driving on a bed of snow and ice with mountains of snow either side! I only know as we have freinds there who picked us up from the air port and drove us up to our snowboarding destination, about a 2 hour drive in a ford transit which never warmed up! + I think they deal with snow quite well and just get on with it.... hence my interest to go out in the Range Rover. The plan is to spend about 4 weeks there with a mix of snowboarding, driveing and walking the dog! which created problems as we carnt take her (the dog) on the ferry so will have to drive up through france! Hope the heaters will keep us warm enogh! :?

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Optima Battary?
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 01:45:44 »
Lucky sod, that is my dream to drive there and back, will do it in the next couple of years for sure.  You have a PM with Tobias's Email.  They are very cool blokes, totally insane but can't hold there booze.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal