AuthorTopic: RHD to LHD . Anybody done it ?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Canada Al

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
RHD to LHD . Anybody done it ?
« on: December 20, 2005, 01:40:22 »
I am thinking of converting My 109 FC to LHD . If i can get the bits of course . Has anybody done a R to L convertion ? I have a good idear what is involved but , what have I not considered . :-k

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 18:17:28 »
Might be an idea to list what you already have considered Al!! :lol:
Janie.
Willow, Keavy, Angel, Thor, sleep tight my darlings, God bless.[/i]
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 22:32:11 »
Well , I have considered the pedals , not too much trouble there as they are hydrolic so its just hoses . And the steering box , need a LHD box from a IIa/IIb FC for that , also I will need to move the air cleaner , again no problem . And I may have to reverse the wiper action .Now ,  the gear levers present a bit of a head scratcher , the main box is not a problem but the hi/lo and fwd will be on the wrong side  :-k . Any thing you can think of ?

Offline j99mud

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Hemel Hempstead
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 22:38:19 »
I know that Scorpion racing have done this conversion before if you give them a call they will probably be able to help you out they have always been more than helpfull when i have had problems http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/
hope this helps :D

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 23:03:25 »
Quote from: "Canada Al"
Well , I have considered the pedals , not too much trouble there as they are hydrolic so its just hoses . And the steering box , need a LHD box from a IIa/IIb FC for that , also I will need to move the air cleaner , again no problem . And I may have to reverse the wiper action .Now ,  the gear levers present a bit of a head scratcher , the main box is not a problem but the hi/lo and fwd will be on the wrong side  :-k . Any thing you can think of ?

Al, I don't know much about FC's but I drive a LHD Defender, I assume the gear levers are on the floor? If so, leave them there; in Defenders, the gear lever is a little nearer to you in LHD, and the tranny is only a slight lean away, I mean, how often do you need to go High/Low/high?? (I'm only  5'1", and it's not a problem going in and out of difflock etc. ) The gate remains the same, my wipers are also as a RHD version; the only slight bugbear is that there's about 2" on the left of the screen that doesn't get swept.
HTH :)

Ah, Just thought; is the tranny tunnel central or is it offset to the right ?
Janie.
Willow, Keavy, Angel, Thor, sleep tight my darlings, God bless.[/i]
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Offline Slimer

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 23:08:45 »
Likewise on my LHD Series III 109", gear lever, hi-lo, hand brake etc. are in the same place as on a RHD. You just get used to it, gears are central either way.
Si

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 19:40:48 »
The FC is a bit different , no trany tunnel for a start . The Hi/lo and 4x4 are mounted remotely about 4 or 5 feet in front of the gearbox . But I do see your point . I think they will be fine where they are . Merry Christmas by the way .........Al

Offline Lee_D

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 00:15:47 »
Bung some power steering on to it.. assuming it doesn't already have it. Would be a great improvement on the unpowered steering and give you more time to dedicate to pumping the brake pedal. :roll:

Lee D
Currently : ' 03 Range Rover Vogue TD6 Auto, '90 110 CSW TD
Previously : 101 Ambi Prototype, Jaguar powered IIa Auto , '83 RRC , '90 RRC , '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 14:13:03 »
Power stearing would be good , but I have no room cos the box is hard against the headlight . I am trying to look into power boxes from other makes . Any surgestions ? I have tried a ram on the track rod but that was way to scary . :shock: Just another thing on the list I surpose .

Offline Lee_D

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 14:55:48 »
Can you rotate the drop arm then shorten the link to the relay (assumes you have a relay).

Martyn Bailey has uses a Disco box I think on his 101 Ambi, details here

http://www.101fc.net/grumble-pas/index.htm

I've also heard of folks doing 101's with LDV 200 van Power steering boxes which I'm led to belive is a simpler operation but never seen one in the flesh.

Chris Perfect was doing kits for Series Landies using a Ram but I'd heard mixed reports on these when in use. Maybe these would lend themselves to youe application but seems you've already been there and done that.
Currently : ' 03 Range Rover Vogue TD6 Auto, '90 110 CSW TD
Previously : 101 Ambi Prototype, Jaguar powered IIa Auto , '83 RRC , '90 RRC , '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 19:08:21 »
I have had dealing with Mr Perfect in the past and have found him to be far less than his name . The ram on track rod system he sells  gives you the handling style of a go-cart , no feed back and nothing to stop you swinging full lock ( thats not a lot on an FC ) at speed . There is a relay but it mounted on the wrong side I think . The chassis is the same as an LWB SIIa , but I think the output from the stearing box would be on the wrong side of the chassis if you just move the box . Also on the FC the gear ratio in the stearing box is lower ( cos of the big wheels ) . I may check out power box manufacturers to find something suitable  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal