AuthorTopic: Pin things  (Read 4885 times)

Offline karloss

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Pin things
« on: March 31, 2004, 22:07:23 »
Right then, silly question time. Why is a 4 pin diff a 4 pin diff? Where are these pins? How many pins does a "normal" diff have? Oh, lastly, what had 4 pin diffs as standard and how do you know youve got one without dismantling it?Answers on a postcard to the usual address.... Bonus prize for the person who guesses why I need to know!! :D
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Pin things
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 18:42:00 »
OK, guys, When I wrote answers to the usual address. That was a joke.  :D A little poor perhaps,  :oops: but, a joke. Has anyone got an idea about diffs and pins and stuff? :?:
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Pin things
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 23:24:11 »
The pins refer to the bits which hold the planet gears in the differential.  The standard diff has 2 planet gears and hence 2 pins to hold them in place.

A 4 pin diff has 4 planet gears, distributing the load across a greater number of teeth and making them essentially stronger and longer lasting.

IIRC, the Series 3 1 ton was fitted with a 4 pin diff in the front axle due to it's increased load carrying capacity.

Hope that makes sense.... if not I'll stick a piccy on which will explain it better  8)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Pin things
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 13:59:57 »
Thanks Tim, I was beggining to think my sense of humour was too finely tuned/ too daft for my own good!! :oops: Did they fit these in V8 rangies at some stage? Only I've just bought said vehicle (on an X plate) and a mate reckons these should have 4 pin diffs as standard but I'm not convinced.
Cheers, Karl..

1990 90 TD

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Pin things
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 21:10:46 »
Not that I know of.  I guess Police Rangies might have had them fitted, but that's supposition.

:-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Pin things
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 17:44:57 »
the  only vehicle that came with 4 pin diffs as standard was V8 90's in the back axle,But all army 90's had 4 pin diffs front & rear  to make them squaddie proof.at the wknd a mate with a tomcat that has 4 pin diffs all round managed to break the flange clean off the diff,thats how strong they are.
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal