AuthorTopic: What suspension ?  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Kenny

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
What suspension ?
« on: March 27, 2004, 17:28:23 »
Forgive me if this is an old one.....

I am going to replace the shocks and springs all around, but do not want to spend a fortune. Any recommendations ?

Should I go for Heavy Duty springs due to the extra weight and off roading.

Thanks

Damian
Animal, ex BT Land Rover ninety
http://www.my90.co.uk

Too many bits too list..........

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
What suspension ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 17:40:27 »
You could do a lot worse than Pro Comp.  Not hugely expensive, and will last well.

They do a couple of grades of damper, one is gas charged one is standard oil.  The gas charged will stiffen the suspension up a little on the road, but they are more expensive.

Hope this helps.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Keaney

Attack Member
What suspension ?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 18:45:57 »
for what it is worth i run es9000 procomp shocks from Explorer UK, Richard is very helpful plus the shocks come with a lifetime guarantee, I have had them for five years and have had two weep due to lots of off roading. Richard has replaced them within three working days and at no cost to me... not bad for £140 inc vat :)

The springs i have are genuine rears on the front and scorpion racing + 25% on the rear....

good luck

Offline Kenny

Attack Member
What suspension ?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 20:43:57 »
Thanks for the responses.

As to the Scorpion +25%, is that on standard length shocks ?

Cheers

Damian

Offline karloss

Attack Member
What suspension ?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 18:57:32 »
I also run the pro comp explorers. Very fine shockers. Little bit of a harsh ride I find. I also run with +2" heavy duty springs which doesn't help matters much! I don't know whereabouts you are but simmonites in bradford often have some quite good deals on with suspension packages. Ignore what they tell you in the catologue and on the web site, ring and ask.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline turtle

Attack Member
What suspension ?
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 10:03:58 »
Hi kenny, I also run with the Explorer Pro Comp shocks +2" and 15% uprated springs.  A very good setup and I agree with karloss there are a little harsh, but since I have replaced all the bushes things have improved.

I know a couple of people that have contacted simmonites and got some good deals of a full set of shocks and springs.

Offline Kenny

Attack Member
What suspension ?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 14:16:38 »
Well contrary to all your advice I have gone for the Scorpion 1"+ Kit all round. Could no afford the procomp :(

So now the fun really starts..................

Whilst doing this job should I replace the radius arm bushes as I believe they are original (120,000). If so is it really worth while using Poly Bush considering the age etc or should I go for Bog Standard.

Damian

Offline karloss

Attack Member
What suspension ?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 23:52:27 »
If you start asking questions about polybushes you are going to get 6 different opinions for every 5 people you ask. My opinion, for what it's worth, if your bushes are good, regardless of age, keep 'em. If they need replacing coz' they are worn/split/perished, then change them for the polybushes. Another opinion of mine (and it is just mine! :twisted: ) is that people who rave about how good polybushes are, are the people who have spent lots of cash and are embarassed to say they can't tell the difference!!! :D They do last well tho'!!
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline MZ6666

Attack Member
What suspension ?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 07:00:32 »
"6 OPINIONS FROM 5 PEOPLE"
WOT A CRACKING TERM!
I'VE GONE FOR PRO-COMP AND I'M PLEASED BUT THEY ARE A MORE HARSH RIDE, THOUGH STUNNING OFF-ROAD.
UNLESS YOU'VE EXCESS MONEY IN YOUR POCKETS FOR LIGHTENED ONES OR A SET THAT OFFER MORE DROOP (ie your wheels will drop further, maintaining contact, and therefore traction) STICK WITH STANDARD RADIUS ARMS!
CHEERS,RICH
'DONK' =1993 200 Tdi BEAST- 2"ish BRITPART/PRO-COMP LIFT,MODULARS/BFG MUDS ,K&N FILTER,HUGE INTERCOOLER,SNORKEL/+BREATHERS,MILEMAKER HYDRAULIC WINCH ON A DISCOPARTS BUMPER,STEERING/TANK/DIFF GUARDS,MIDLAND 98 CB,FRONT/REAR ENDS a'lA MAD MAX
'BURBLE' - 1995 DISCOVERY 3.9 V8 ES LPG
3" PRO COMP, 265/75's BF GOODRICH,TDS GOLDFISH WINCH,WINCH BUMPER, TANK/ DIFF  GUARDS, FLEXI ARCHES,CHERRY BOMB!! more to come !!   
'BERTA' - 1995 DISCO 300tdi ES - standard, My Wife's
'VRUM' - SUZUKI 1200 BANDIT -modded ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal