AuthorTopic: Bulkhead bottom bracket door pillar repair advice  (Read 3703 times)

Offline MisterC

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Bulkhead bottom bracket door pillar repair advice
« on: December 05, 2005, 22:19:59 »
As normal with Series vehicles the bottom of the door pillars on both sides are showing the usual signs of wear.  I also noticed the bottom brackets which bolt to the bulkhead outriggers have seen better days. Still sound, but looking a bit, shall we say, corroded.  I know that you can get the door pillar repair and bottom bracket, but I don't have a welder, nor can I weld, so I was wondering if you could just replace the bottom bracket, and if so can you do it without welding.  Thanks in advance.
1972 SWB Petrol 2.25 SIII, safari top side windows, Limestone, FWH, 750xR16s, Weber carb, Kenlowe fan, Maplin DIY ignition amplifier and now overdrive.  Coming soon...(cheap) SU carb conversion and (cheap) electronic dizzy conversion (he said hopefully).

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 23:38:01 »
Might be as well to get a local MiG-wielder to plate it. Any other repair won't have a great deal of strength, and for £ notes you should find someone to do it reasonably cheaply (a lot cheaper than replacing the pillar)
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline wookie_73

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 02:03:52 »
Yes is the simple answer the whole bottom bracket assembly slides in (if your lucky) and bolts to the bottom door hanger.

Offline MisterC

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 20:34:43 »
Thanks for the replies.  When I looked at new door pillar repairs and bottom brackets at Billing (didn't buy one), the bottom bracket was 'free' and looked like wookie_73 said, and slid in and lined up with the bottom door hinge holes.  I just couldn't believe that 2 door screws/bolts, was taking the whole weight of the bulkhead on one side.  No wonder they're swines to undo.  Any further experiences/advice with this problem would be welcomed.  Thanks.
1972 SWB Petrol 2.25 SIII, safari top side windows, Limestone, FWH, 750xR16s, Weber carb, Kenlowe fan, Maplin DIY ignition amplifier and now overdrive.  Coming soon...(cheap) SU carb conversion and (cheap) electronic dizzy conversion (he said hopefully).

Offline Lee_D

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 00:00:55 »
Quote from: "MisterC"
Any further experiences/advice with this problem would be welcomed.  Thanks.

My experience is that they are spot welded in but it's highly likely you may get it to drop out if it's that bad.

When I refit them they are welded in. As you say they carry a bit of weight. The door bolts go into captive nuts which are only captive on a spring which slides into place.

Heres some piccys from my last venture

http://www.lrproject.com/jlo/index.html

which may cast a little light..

Lee D
Currently : ' 03 Range Rover Vogue TD6 Auto, '90 110 CSW TD
Previously : 101 Ambi Prototype, Jaguar powered IIa Auto , '83 RRC , '90 RRC , '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:03:48 »
The bottom door hinge bolts on the pillars, do NOT hold any of the strain from the bulkhead.

You have two pieces for the door pillar.  The door pillar itself, and the bracket.  The bracket must be lined up correctly with the door pillar, and welded securely into place.  Failing to weld it could result in damage to the pillar when the vehicle is being used, or worse, the bolts sheering off, causing the bulkhead to move about freely.  :shock:

Offline MisterC

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 20:22:15 »
OK, I get the message, welding, welding or welding.  Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.  Regards  Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal