AuthorTopic: Superwinch H14 stripdown  (Read 8455 times)

Offline oakeedokee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Superwinch H14 stripdown
« on: March 22, 2004, 21:12:22 »
Does anyone out there know how to strip down a pto driven H14 Superwinch? Rather than send it off to the likes of PG Winches, I thought I'd have a go myself ('cos I'm a cheapskate and also if you don't have a go yourself then you never learn anything).
 The freespool mechanism shaft has broken and I need to replace it. I got as far as taking the end plate off the drive end, but couldn't work out how to remove the gear assembly to access the other end where the freespool components live. Anyone got any ideas?
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
well i tried for ya mate
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 19:53:25 »
Hi i did this earlier, but they dont seem to be much help. Sorry.
From me to SUPERWINCH.COM
comments: Hi i have a h14 super winch, and the freespool mechanism shaft
is broken :( . I need to replace it, but i cannot find any instructions on
how to do it.  :x I have looked for some professional help on the matter,
but noone seems to have the knowledge. Would it be possible please, to
e-mail me some instructions on how to repair my own winch. :D  I would
really appreciate this. Many Thanks Wayne. :D  :)  :o

From SUPERWINCH.COM

We don't really have any "repair instructions" for any of our winches.
Basically all you can do is follow the winch parts breakdown which is
not the easiest approach. Other than that, I'd recommend you find a
local hydraulic repair shop or send the winch in to us.
 :evil:  :evil:

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
Superwinch H14 stripdown
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 22:47:44 »
hmmm.....they were REALLY helpful, weren't they? I might try one of the other forums, but if you get any clues beforehand keep me posted. Otherwise I'll let you know how I get on.
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
H14 WINCH REPAIR
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 13:39:52 »
HI OKEDOKEE,JUST READ YOUR TOPIC!

IVE GOT SUPER WINCH SPARE PARTS BOOKLET AND INSTRUCTION
MANUAL ILL HAVE A READ AND SEE IF IT SHEDS ANY LIGHT

HOPE COME BACK TO LATER WITH SOME HELP

CHEERS KEVIN
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
Superwinch H14 stripdown
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 15:44:23 »
Thanks Kevin, got your e-mail by the way. I've worked out how to get the end casing off with help from another forum. It's simply a case of whacking it with a rubber mallet 'til it comes off. My freespool mechanism is the same as yours with a mushroom shaped knob sticking out the side. I have spoken to Superwinch (who were actually quite helpful), but they don't manufacture this type any more so they are sending me a complete freespool mechanism of the newer lever-type to replace my existing one. The clutch on the pto can be set using a torque wrench. I'll e-mail the details to you.
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: Superwinch H14 stripdown
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 21:02:14 »
Just for reference for the mudclub archive on this thread as it bound to be useful to someone in future as it was to me recently.... reposted from some other forum somewhere...
To strip your H14 do the following:

Strip Down

1/. Remove the tie bar that links the two red housings together.

2/. Stand the winch on it's end with the drive housing lowest. Attempt to lift off the free spool housing complete. It 'should' lift straight off. But the winch drive shaft may be siezed in the spherical bearing in the free spool housing. Just use to tyre levers or simlar to pry the red free spool housing off aginst the drum flange. If you damage the lip seal around the drum flange - don't worry it will be perished any way and they are only a few quid. Put the free spool housing to one side.

3/. Remove the the big circlip from the end of the exposed winch center shaft. You will need to push the drum back allong the winch center shaft to allow this to come off as the drum is being pushed against the circlip by the two sprung anti rotation 'buttons' between the drum and drive housing.

4/. Slide the drum off the winch center shaft. If your unlucky the shaft will be rusty in the center - this will mean the drum gets stuck after sliding allong the winch shaft about 1". It will move with a bit of persasion. However if you choose to hit the drum flanges to get it to move - BE CAREFULL. The weld between the flanges and the drum center tube will facture........ Put your now fractured drum to one side.

5/. You now just have the drive housing left with the input shaft and the winch center shaft sticking out of it. If you want to strip it make sure you keep the parts in order so that the shims go back in the right place. Remove the propshaft UJ from the input shaft. Remove the 4 allen head bolts around the input shaft. Hold the winch center shaft in one hand and rotate the input shaft. One way will wind the input shaft and worm out of the drive housing. Note that there are a number of shims between the input shaft removable bearing housing and the roller thrust bearing. These set the end float on the input shaft/worm gear. Don't loose!

6/. Now undo the 8 set screws that hold the circular plate on the end of the drive housing. The plate should then come off with a bit tapping on it;s edge. Don't stick a screw driver down the gasket face - you will damage the aluminum faces on the housing or the plate. This will result in the plate not sitting flat when you rebuild it - this will make the winch shaft end bearing sit at an angle to the shaft. Note that the gasket thickness used to seal the plate onto the housing and the little shim that fits in the bearing housing on the reverse side of the plate set the end float of the winch center shaft. If you don't get the right gasket from superwinch, or cut your own from the right thickness gasket paper you will need to adjust the end float using a different little shim - Get the right gasket!

7/. You should now be looking into the drive housing and be seeing the big wheel gear. The winch center shaft should now slide out towards you.

8/. Go back to the Free spool housing. Remove the 4 allen head cap screws that hold on the free spool lever locking mechanism. The locking mecahnisam should now just lift off.

9/. Lay the free spool housing down so you are looking into it. You should see a roll pin that loactes the engagement fork onto the free spool lever shaft. Drift it out. The free spool lever and shaft should now come out of the housing. Often they are siezed. If so drill a small hole in the plastic plug on the front face of the free spool housing. This will allow you to use a screw driver to leaver out the plug. You can now use a drift to knock the free spool lever out.

10/. The splined dog collar should now be free to lift out of the housing complete with the engagement fork.

11/. The last component in the free spool housing is now the spherical bearing. This should spin and be free to tilt. If you need to remove it you need a external bearing puller with a slide hammer. Alternatively turn a bit of hard wood down so that it just fits into the bearing bore. Pack the inside of the bearing with grease, fit the wooden shaft on top and hit with a hammer (wear safety glasses) - it will hydraulicaly push the bearing out.

12/. Clean up your componets/check condition etc.

I would suggest that you do not remove the bearings either side of the wheel gear. You will need a big press to remove the wheel to get at the back bearing. The worm and wheel are an industrial quality gear set running on proper bearings (unlike most winches). Unless you have had a bearing failure or oil contamintation they should be OK to reuse. If not they are all available from a bearing stockists (even the spherical bearing). You need to knock out the 'core plug' to change out the roller bearing at the non drive end of the worm gear.

Reassembly.

1/. Start by fitting a new lip seal into the drive housing for the winch center shaft. Pack the ball bearings either side of the wheel gear with grease - they don't sit in the oil. Put the drive housing on your black and decker work mate so that you can them lower the winch center shaft and wheel gear assembly into the housing.

2/. Use a bit of grease to hold the small shim in the bearing pocket of the housing end plate. Use a new gasket and fit the end plate. It may need gently tapping on over the bearing. If it is sticking, take it off and put it in the oven at 150C. It will expand enough to slide on. Fit and do up the 8 set screws. Check the winch center shaft is free to turn - is should spin easily and have negliable end float. If it doesn't turn easily you have probably trapped the small shim.

3/. Turn the drive housing on it's side so that you are looking into the hole the worm goes in. Using a screw driver or similar drop the thrust bearing into it's recess. Put the worm gear into the drive housing by rotating it to screw it past the wheel gear. Fit the drive end thrust bearings and the shims, place the aluminium end cover on and do up the 4 allen head cap screws. Check the input shaft turns freely. Also check the input shaft end float. With the winch center held tightly you should have about 0.010" end float (this is my figure, superwinch were reluctant to tell me the correct one, so I measured the end float before I stripped mine)

The rest is the the reverse of the strip B) .

Adrian

.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal