AuthorTopic: Steering guard?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline spy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steering guard?
« on: November 29, 2005, 00:14:59 »
Can anyone suggest the best (cheapest!) place to buy a steering guard to fit my 1982 series 3.  One with suitable built in recovery points would be ideal!
110 2.5 Petrol LPG powered
Discovery 300tdi - Sold to Sooty
Discovery 200tdi  - SPY - SOLD
Series 3 - XUXY - SOLD :(

www.landyworld.co.uk

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 00:30:30 »
Rebel4x4 are quite cheap, the one on my 90 is a nice piece of kit.  They do them for series i think.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline stratie

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 06:19:34 »
£25 will get you one like this :D

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 10:10:51 »
doesnt seem to protect your trackrod verywell :?
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline Tractorboy16

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 12:11:37 »
Hi, This is the rebel one on TIM, Does cpver abit more but then i have mine mounted down abit more.

As you can see i have mounted mine throungh the spring hanger bolts and then i have welded two pieces of metel to the chassas which act as stops so that it can't spin around on that bolt. (if you get what i mean) I did this as the holes didn't line up and at the time of fitting didn't have any drill bits long enought or more inportatly, high tensile bolts to secure it so just did it like this.

sorry, can't find any pics of it but i can get some in like 2 weeks when im home for xmas.

Me xxx
James Groom 21
88" 2.8TD Hybrid
Td4 freelander

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 20:04:28 »
None of the guards seem to be totally bolt-on - they all follow the same design & only one pair of holes lines up at a time.  The fact that there are several pairs gives you a choice of mounting positions.  Jaes' idea of welding on a couple of tabs to stop rotation is excellent!  Most old LRs don't need any more unneccessary holes!
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline Tractorboy16

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 20:57:28 »
Quote from: "dave_2A_2.25Turbo"
Jaes' idea of welding on a couple of tabs to stop rotation is excellent!  Most old LRs don't need any more unneccessary holes!

plus, as u can see from the pic i have been able to mount mine lower on the spring hanger this way meaning it does cover the steering bars a little better,

Me xx
James Groom 21
88" 2.8TD Hybrid
Td4 freelander

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 07:38:04 »
Oddly enough a lot of the Series trials motors don't have steering guards and prefer to use a hunky set of Sumo bars and a little discrimination on the part of the driver.

have seen a couple of occasions where the sttering guard acts as a barb on sharper rocks.  That is the motor slides up the steering guard and the rock falls in behind it, wedging the motor and doing something unpleasent to the steering it was supposed to protect..
--

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 08:34:25 »
Oddly enough.....

I was having the same conversation with a mate of mine recently - the trouble with 'protection' is that, the more you have, the less discriminating you tend to be.  The feeling of invulnerability can cause problems that would easily have been avoided with a little more caution - my mate ended up with the steering guard on his bobtail RR wrapped round the steering bars - without the guard he'd have gone ROUND that particular rock and had no damage whatsoever.

Mounting too low can also be counter-productive - as Datalas says, it can act as a barb and hook up.  On the other hand, too high and there's no point.

TBH if I could get a set of Sumo bars for the tenner I paid for my guard, I'd have gone for those instead!

They look purdy tho!!
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline stratie

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 15:47:44 »
Quote from: "ian_s"
doesnt seem to protect your trackrod verywell :?
That's why it was only £25  :lol:

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 15:54:32 »
Quote from: "datalas"
Oddly enough a lot of the Series trials motors don't have steering guards and prefer to use a hunky set of Sumo bars and a little discrimination on the part of the driver.

have seen a couple of occasions where the sttering guard acts as a barb on sharper rocks.  That is the motor slides up the steering guard and the rock falls in behind it, wedging the motor and doing something unpleasent to the steering it was supposed to protect..

Afraid I agree - I think there is much more value in strengthening the rods than trying to protect them from contact.

Offline Neil Jones

Attack Member
Steering guard?
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 20:30:29 »
Here's my steering guard:

and here's how it's fitted:

The winter prepares the earth for the spring, so do afflictions sanctified prepare the soul for glory

Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

1972 SWB Diesel
Parabolic Suspension
Capstan winch
Overdrive
Inertia seat belts
LR90 Doors
BFG MT's
CD Player stereo (mounted above passenger)
Snorkel
Axle breathers.

Next on are rock/tree sliders and a new lick of paint!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal