AuthorTopic: Cam Belt  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Ollie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Cam Belt
« on: March 18, 2004, 09:55:51 »
More questions :roll:
What's this modification on the cam belt I keep hearing about :?:
How can you tell if it's been done?

Also, at Tixover the other week, I, didn't put any wading plugs in, (Forgot :oops: ), and looking at this picture, it's plausable that some of that 'orrible mud made it's way into both holes, oh err. Should I spray some clean water in there to try and wash it out :? Or leave it?

Cheers.
Ollie
sex is the breakfast of champions

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
Cam Belt
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 11:07:47 »
OK, so it seams like the 300TDi modification is being kept under wraps by Land Rover, nothing new there then. According to LRO May2004, "....the fuel pump bracket was made a little too short, which pulled the injector pump out of line. This in turn made the belt run slightly off 'true', which made it ride off the pulleys. Unfortunately, this warps the front cover, so it all has to be replaced to cure the problem, ie;
New front cover
Injector pump bracket
Timing belt
Idlers
Crank pulley." :cry:

So, has anyone done/looked for this modification :?:  My Lucille has done 131Kmiles, the belt was replaced at 116Kmiles, before I got the vehicle. Should I be worried :oops:

Cheers.
Ollie

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Cam Belt
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 20:18:17 »
Quote from: "Ollie"
OK, so it seams like the 300TDi modification is being kept under wraps by Land Rover, nothing new there then.

Don't think it's been kept under wraps... the modification was a part of the normal service routine / advisory for 300 series vehicles as far as I know.

I think that list is the worst case scenario, and you only need to do all that if there has been damaged.

It's quite a well-known issue, so I'm sure there will be plenty of people who have done it.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ChrisW

Cam Belt
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 20:32:46 »
Blimey this is an old chestnut!

I'd say it would appear to be under wraps more down to the reason that these aren't done that often these days and a few dealers might not have any details.

ISTR that it was more of an issue on Discovery's than Defenders, anyone? Also, I think it was more applicable to early 300 engines, they should have made all necessary mods by the time they built your Defender Ollie.
Dealers were instructed to paint a 1" square of yellow on the top of the timing cover if they had carried out the modification - I've yet to see one of them though!

The fault was one of the pulleys was slightly out of alignment, over time causing the timing belt to move forward and rub on the timing belt cover eventually if left untouched it would wear out too much and snap causing other damage like bent or snapped push rods.

If you try searching using Discovery instead of Defender you may come across a bit more info.

ChrisW

Cam Belt
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 21:13:58 »
Found some more info here mainly relating to disco's but interesting reading if you're interested  :D
lrenthusiast forum

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
Cam Belt
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 08:40:15 »
Cheers guys. :D
That's put my mind to rest. Although I don't understand why it only really effects the Disco's? Are there differences between the Discovery 300TDi and the Defender 300TDi? :shock:

Cheers.
Ollie

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Cam Belt
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 08:51:31 »
There are certainly some differences, the exhaust manifold and turbo configuration are different for example.

Wouldn't surprise me if the front cover has differences too.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
Cam Belt
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 10:53:23 »
I believe the mod in question, was described in this or last months LRO mag. Its something to do with the allignment of one of the cam belt puleys. I think Muddyweb is right in that the difference is the front timing cover. This mod realligns the timing pump. If i find the article i will let you know where and what page.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
Cam Belt
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 10:56:59 »
Ive just found it in LRO International May Issue Page 208 at the top. I hope this helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal