AuthorTopic: Alloy wheels on off roaders  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Tailendcharley

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Bus pass next year...hooray !!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
Alloy wheels on off roaders
« on: November 20, 2005, 14:45:10 »
:) Does anybody know why manufactures fit alloy wheels to off road vehicles...if you use the vehicle how it was intended the last thing you want is alloy wheels hitting large stones etc....perhaps it's just me but I would prefer normal metal wheels...thank the Lord that my recently bought Vitara has normal metal wheels....of course I was forgetting that most off roaders only do the school runs and Morrisons car park...silly me.
VW Caravelle 2500 cc 5 cylinder 174 BHP Pan European Cruiser
Suzuki Vitara 1600 soft top Green Lane Messer
Numerous motorbikes
Large German Shepherd called Zak

Wait for me,I might be stuck...I haven't a clue where we are or what we're doing...

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 15:22:50 »
I dont like alloys on offroaders but thats just my preferance they arent really a problem, yes they are more likely to break rather than bend but for most uses they are fine.  

I wouldn't have alloys any where near the 90 like :wink:
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 15:25:10 »
Hmmmm...of course there are some Land Rovers that can't have steel wheels :( So you *have* to have alloys.
--
Neil

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 22:31:53 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
Hmmmm...of course there are some Land Rovers that can't have steel wheels :( So you *have* to have alloys.

I may be wrong (it has been known! :shock: ), but hasn't the L322 got the same PCD as a Td5 Discovery??
Steel wheels were a 'base' fitting on them & the commercial

Go Neil, tell me I'm wrong :roll:
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: Alloy wheels on off roaders
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 09:27:06 »
Quote from: "Tailendcharley"
:) Does anybody know why manufactures fit alloy wheels to off road vehicles...if you use the vehicle how it was intended the last thing you want is alloy wheels hitting large stones etc....perhaps it's just me but I would prefer normal metal wheels...thank the Lord that my recently bought Vitara has normal metal wheels....of course I was forgetting that most off roaders only do the school runs and Morrisons car park...silly me.

ooh... what a hatful of spiders.

Reason 1...  how many volume manufacturers of vehicles make "off-road" vehicles.    My view... NONE

To take an example...  Land Rover make 4 wheel drive cars and utility vehicles.   The utility vehicles (i.e. the Defender) comes with steel wheels in the basic model.  All the others (including the higher spec Defenders) come with alloys to make them look pretty.

It is only the likes of us that turn these vehicles into 'off-roaders'

Now, I'm not knocking the off-road ability of a factory vehicle..  far from it.  But from a design and marketing perspective I would argue that building and 'off-roader' is not a very practical thing to do as a mass-producer of vehicles.

I would say the same is true of most of the 4x4 manufacturers on the market today.   Even vehicles like the L200 and Navara, which are very squarely aimed as builders vehicles, site support, etc.  come out of the factory with alloys because they make the vehicles look more expensive.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 23:11:25 »
Quite agree Tim.

I was following a Disco 3 down the motorway the other day - it looked to have less ground-clearance than my Astra van
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline Slimer

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 00:03:19 »
Quote from: "dave_2A_2.25Turbo"
I was following a Disco 3 down the motorway the other day - it looked to have less ground-clearance than my Astra van
Ah but they do have height adjustable suspension, presumably it was lowered to 'road mode'

We spent ages trying to find steel wheels for the D3, when we finally found someone willing to make some he wanted so much for them that it worked out significantly cheaper to buy a set of basic D3 alloys off of that auction site from someone who'd upgraded to something more 'bling' in the wheel department. I think I ended up paying less for 5 17" alloys and getting Cooper STTs on them than I would have for the steel wheels alone

Si
Si

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal