AuthorTopic: Wiring in new Storage Solutions cubby box  (Read 6334 times)

Offline Ollie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wiring in new Storage Solutions cubby box
« on: March 12, 2004, 09:02:05 »
OK, so my new cubbybox from stoage solutions is and waiting to be fitted :)
I have the top dollar version, with the two rear power sockets 8)

So, how did people wire these things in?
How did you route the power from the battery box :?:
What rating inline fuse did you use :?:
Did anyone consider a junction box for power, the running the required connections from that, if so, what did you use as a junction box :?:
Anything I've missed off this list :?

Cheers guys
Ollie
sex is the breakfast of champions

Offline turtle

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 09:22:17 »
You flash git  :D  

I would be intrested in the answers as I been looking at these cubby-boxes as well.

Does it not come with any clues, instructions etc?

Offline Mace

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 09:42:46 »
Ollie, don't know the answers but I know a company who might be able to help....cheers

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk

Andy
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Ben

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 11:44:55 »
Hi Ollie

Although I didn't get the version with the accessory sockets, I do have a stereo and a CB in my cubby box...

I've taken a permanent and a switched live from the fuse box (used a test meter to find the relevant feeds...), and then ran the 2 wires under the rubber transmission tunnel cover and up into the cubby box. Both wires have inline fuses at the cubby box end.

To get a good quality earth, I went straight to the battery...

I guess in your situation I'd suggest taking two separate feeds from the socket side of the current accessory socket fuse (as opposed to the battery side), and running it under the mat (as above). I'd put an inline fuse in for each cable, probably at the fuse box end of the new wires.

The only concern with taking the feed from the socket side of the current fuse is that you're potentially putting three times the lod on the original fuse.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the side of the fuse to use?

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 18:14:20 »
With my cubby box I just drilled a hole in the bottom of it and ran a couple of wires to the battery under the passenger seat.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 14:10:09 »
OK, so I took the feed and return from the battery. With the amount of time wasted on installing the cubbybox,(more about this later), I went for the easy option.
I bought two junction boxes from Maplins for £4 each. These were in the car audio section, and are designed for high powered amps. Over kill, I know, but suited to purpose, and cheap. They are gold plated, and are housed in a nice little perspex box. The configuration is one in and five out. So I was able to wire in, separately the two power sockets and the CB. Still leaving me room for further expansion :D

The cubbybox is an execellent design, very well made too. The instructions are not great though, and I find them all too assuming. After a very good chat with the vendor, I have become to realise that Land Rover 'add-ons' are never designed to 'fit'. It's 'assumed' that some interpretation of the fitting instructions is necessary, depending on your vehicle. So following the instructions to the letter can lead to frustration and confusion.
Being a perfectionsist, well, striving to be one :wink:  it's difficult for me just to throw something in. To this end, getting the cubbybox in the right position, perfectly aligned, took some time. Drilling the holes, then lining up the bolts was somewhat tedious :?
Anyway, I would recommed this design to anyone. It works well, and even when offroading, the cup holder still manages to keep a grasp on my blackcurrent :lol:

I'll post some pictures when it stops raining :D

Ollie

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 14:21:32 »
As I've said before, Land Rover, the original kit car, if you need it just bolt the thing on and drive away
Nothing looks out of place on them

Kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 11:20:30 »
OK, so as promised, some pictures :D

This is what she looked like. Being a short arse, the arm rest is too far back for me as I have the seat forward quite a bit. I positioned the box as far forward as I could without the cup holders getting in the way of the difflock lever.

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 11:21:36 »
OK, so the wiring was pretty easy to sort out.

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 11:22:35 »
A closer view of the junction boxes, these were ideal, and are held in place with some Velcro. Hmmm, looks like I've lost my grommet for the power cable going through the hole... :oops:

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 11:25:17 »
The CB, eventually, I would like where the current radio is, in the dash. It would not fit in the radio section provided by the cubbybox, so I used one of the map pockets. Its help snugly inplace by the seatbelt mount.It works well, and is easy to use.

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 13:56:29 »
HI Ben,
You said you'd fused the feeds at the cubby box end.
You need to fuse at the battery end of the cable to protect the cable.

I may be teaching my granny but...

Fuses are designed to protect the cable. Should Ollies grommet cause the cable to fray and short out the fuse at the battery should blow.

Ed
PS If you don't want to or can't find the grommet Vehicle Wiring Products do some stuff that you cut and make a grommit out of it called grommet strip . Or put some of their split harness wrap on it.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/sleeving/sleeving.html#gen46
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 18:40:30 »
Ed,
I have put an inline fuse at the battery end :) It's not shown on the pictures.
I bought some grommets from a local car store, I couldn't quite get the right size, so I cut it down a bit, maybe a little too much :?

Cheers.
Ollie

Mostie

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 09:23:18 »
Quote from: "matthew"
With my cubby box I just drilled a hole in the bottom of it and ran a couple of wires to the battery under the passenger seat.

Same as Matthew, but I decided to install an extra (6)fuse box under the seat next to the battery so I could rewire the interior light, a small and increadibly ineffective heater, CB and radio....in relative safety!

Car electrics scare me since I forgot to disconnect the battery whilst changing the indicator stalks and a wire in the fuse box and one in the dash happily burst into flames as contact was made between the connectors and the steering column. oops! :oops: still it gave me a damn good reason to work on the car all weekend instead of the PhD!!  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal