AuthorTopic: 200tdi heat problem  (Read 7837 times)

Offline timberdog

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi heat problem
« on: October 30, 2005, 21:11:17 »
Right lads and lasses i have had no luck with fitting the 200TDI and now i have a heat problem this is what happens and what i have tried to sort it out.

When Engine is on tick over on Drive no issues when i take her up to constant 50ish she starts to creep up temp wise slow down and temp cools off.

Given that i have had convert 200TDI to 90 i have had to fit a TIM clock and Sender which has been proven by other people who i know to run at 88 to 90 Oc with no issues (Unless Faulty One just my luck if so).

Any way from comming back from run i have felt the hoses and the top Hose off rad is hot / Rad warm / Bottom hose norm temp the Thermostat housing red hot.
Header tank cold which makes me think circulation problem but i have done the follwing to sort or find out what the issue is:

Flushed all pipes (No blocks free flowing with Hose and back flushed and the saem free flow.
Changed Thermostat and also left top off thermostat and put hose in Header tank an their is flow out the top of the thermostat.
I have back flushed Heater matrix Hoses both ways
Flused put hose directley over block to Heater
Flushed Rad both ways
Bled all hoses
When i took Thermostat out it runs 40 to 60 Oc no issues and then i can see flow in the header Tank as you would.

It seems as if thier is a flow problem when Thermostat is in!!!

Their is no water in Oil no Bubbles in Header tank and Engine seems fine no noises or smoke and seems nice when Thermostat is out or even when Thermostat is in but on Tick over but roll down the road and it builds in Temp...

Marriage is the only war where you sleep with
the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4
Range Rover Bob Tail 3.5V8

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 21:18:03 »
you did put the thermostat in the right way up??

have you tried another thermostat?
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline unknownmanxman

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 22:03:30 »
You could just leave the thermostat out and see what its like....
Jon - The Unknownmanxman

I have taken a vow of poverty - to annoy me, send money

2005 - Defender 90 TD5
1991 - Defender 90 200Tdi - See the spec http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=36
PTO H14W SE - one of a kind im told
2 Door, 90" RR - 43% Magic

Series 1 V8 trialler

Isle of Man GLASS Area Rep

Offline JD LWB

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 00:15:12 »
What is your new temp gauge reading?

I had the same problem with mine.   When i put the new temp gauge in, the rad still behaved the same (hot at top, cold at bottom, cold header tank etc), but the gauge reads between 88 and 91 and I can see the thermostat working (temp oscilates between 87 and 91 degrees), so the cooling system must be working properly.

I'll phone you tomorrow (Mon) and see if I can help. :D
James

It's Big, It's Blue, It's MINE! and it's DEAD!

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
mm
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 13:16:06 »
I have changed Thermostate and no good !!
and yes right way up Wax down..

Carnt work this out runs too hot to drive and engine feels hot

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 18:49:53 »
when i put mine on the road i was conviced it was over heating cos o the mixup between disco sender & def guage so i whapped the stat out & then found it took all the way to work (25 miles) for it to actually heat up,fitted it back in & fair enough it reads high but has never over heated even when doing heavy recovery yesterday,
Mike

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
heat
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 19:31:03 »
If the Termostat is stamped at 89 Oc what temp is safe to go up to?

I have now fitted back in and it runs between 80 and 97 on steep climb or high speed!!

I have also dropped in 50/50 Coolant mix

I wondered if i fit a thermostat that opens at say 80Oc it would help?

but Thermostat housing is really hot still and top hose is hot an lower coller and rad seems cool?

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
hh
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 21:26:41 »
any more views on this one?

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 21:37:20 »
ill try n give you a fone on ur moby if thats ok??
Mike

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
num
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 21:41:37 »
Ok mate 07707270979

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 13:30:51 »
Tim,

My conversion behaves the same, sits between 90 and 100 on a push, just around 88 normally, top hose and stat housing hot, bottom of rad and bottom hose cool, it's a new rad and I know it's not blocked. New thermostat (right way up).

Even when the temp gauge is near 100, I can't say it feels particularly hot under the bonnet, you can normally feel/smell that it's running hot can't you.

So I think the Tim gauge may be a little over optimistic and I don't think it's really anything to wory about. I'm going to fit those twin Mondeo electric fans, predominently to provide cooling when off road, as the fan cowl now cut to fit doesn't quite draw the whole air in over the rad, and may eventually look at removing the viscous fan altogether if the electric ones coupled to a kenlowe thermostat control do the trick.

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
stef
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 16:16:23 »
Hello mate its exactley the same mate i thinks it was me being Paronoid!1

Any way it seems to have cured it self today!! i think an air lock apparant(Bloody Big one and difficult to dislodge).
I was told they were [!Expletive Deleted!] to bleed!!

Any took her off road today and she sat nicley at no more than 60 - 65 Oc with no probs!!

On road she now sits at 85 0c and when pushed 90 - 95 0c  so must be ok and when i stop engine seems warm but not as bad as it was the other day..

Could have been a blocked in Engine coolant paths and needed to be run to unblock??

God knows any way its ok again till next time ..but thats Land Rover for ya!!

Hey when ya fit that Fan Details ASAP Begining to end .

Tim

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 18:07:41 »
Will do matey.
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 22:06:57 »
disco TDI <spit>

just got in from work after having to redo the headgasket as it decided to spit the dummy BIG style,couldnt leave it ticking over as it was blowing the water straight out,took an hour to whip the head of & 2 the refit it,god tappets take sooooo long to set
Mike

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 19:14:51 »
Fitted the Mondeo fans, pictures attached and on my new updated 200Tdi conversion page of my website http://www.90county.co.uk. Basically they have to be placed on the engine side of the rad as they are marked with a distinct direction and will then pull air in through the radiator, and need the bottom corner trimming away to fit. They have to go in on a slight angle to clear the top radiator hose, but that leaves each of the 2 fans covering the radiator and most of the intercooler. I connected the positive feed of one fan to the other, than ran a feed to the Kenlowe thermostat unit, from there a wire then runs to a fuse on the bulkhead and then in and connects to the position II connector on the back of the ignition switch. Both fans have their own separate wire to earth, all wiring 35 amp and the fuse 30 amp. I made a bracket up to bolt in to a redundant hole on the passenger side where the old radiator bracket used to be, and then a bracket on the drivers side which comes up and clips in with a radiator bracket clip as per the photo. I just made the brackets from redundant bits and bolted them in to existing holes. The fan unit is very secure with just two top mounted brackets holding it in. I'm going to get a heavy duty switch and put that where the old choke cable was, connected in between the ignition switch and fuse, that way I can disable the fans when using the 90 off road in water.

They seem pretty powerful and when they are both running, you can feel air being drawn in when you put your hand in front of the grill. The fan unit has some kind of temperature sensor on it, I guess by the design it justs butts up to the radiator, and I think if you connect your positive feed via this it might do the job. I had an old Kenlowe thermostat so used that.

So for a fiver plus postage off Ebay, a pretty good bargain!

Stef

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 19:16:42 »
and.............................

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
mm
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 20:24:40 »
Hey Steff i found a cure to reduce heat to perfection this bloke told me if you fit this Thermostat ya will thank me it works a treat and ya keep ya heat in heaters see below:

Fan looks great good job i will have a bash for the summer i think but try this stat it cost pennys!!

quinton hazell part no std is QTH117 (88 degree)
QTH104 (82 degree) iff you get the kit the gaskets may be different, think its listed for isuzu trooper 2.2 deisel 9/87-88 ,and ford maveric 2.4 12v 02/93-04/00. iff you compare the stats side by side there iddentical except the opening temp. try it worked for me, hope

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 08:16:19 »
Tim,

So you put QTH104 in, is that correct? Where did you get one from?

I noticed a slight issue with the fans this morning, if they are running when I go to switch off, the engine runs on for a few seconds after the key is turned off, I reckon the fans must store enough energy to keep the stop solenoid wire live for a few more seconds!!

Stef

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
yes
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 09:34:01 »
Yes mate Quinton wont sell it to you but get a Parts Shop to order i tell ya even if i push mine to limit now it does not get above 80Oc!!

PS Forgot you will have to Drill a hole the same size as the litle hole in the Old one as they aint got one in but this took me about a minute..

Its runs lumpy when Cold but as soon as it reaches about 40Oc its fine and ya keep ya heaters ok..

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 09:50:27 »
Ive just put an Isuzu 1.7 tdi in my zook, and exactly same problem.
Ive put a damned accurate(1 decimal place) digital temp gauge with the sender in the top hose.
I was gettin a reading of85 ticking over, to 95to 105 when on boost, pulling hard.
Thing is, you could bear your hand on the rad.
I added some more radiator in the form of another cooler plumbed into the heater circuit, and tried again.
This time, just gettin 80 ish when dawdling, and 95 when on hard boost.
Conclusion, its gonna get hot on boost, live with it, try noot to keep hard on the gas for ages.
Also, discovered if I fit a cooling fan to my intercooler, the temp immediately drops about 3 degrees when I switch it on.
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 12:59:02 »
Does it really need a hole drilling, or is the pressure release hole just specific to the 89c ones?

Stef

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
hole
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2005, 14:16:04 »
You can try it mate without but i know they should have an Hole to release Air locks etc it may be fine without it i just took advice from the cahp who did this to his Disco and both his and mine are great now!!

Try it its gonna cost ya £6.00!!!

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200tdi heat problem
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 17:11:07 »
Put the lower temperature thermostat in, decided not to drill a hole as it already had a breather gap. Much better, sits as 82 now, and only crept up to 90 when sat in heavy stationary traffic last night.

Just need to sort this slipping PAS belt out tomorrow and hopefully all done!!!

Stef

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal