AuthorTopic: "Stop The Press. Rambler Supports Off-road Driving!!  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
"Stop The Press. Rambler Supports Off-road Driving!!
« on: February 27, 2004, 23:41:26 »
Yes I know it's a surprise to read that, but the following letter was in the regional paper this morning - the 'Yorkshire Post'

From ; A. Dodds
Darlington

"I am disturbed by the picture that had been painted of off-road vehicles on green-lanes and consider myself lucky that the places I walk have been relatively free of vehicles.

Then two things made me think again; I learned that they only have legal access to five percent of the green-lane network, then a friend told me that letters of support for vehicles are rarely printed*

Letters in favour of a ban are non-specific making much of the damage caused but being careful not to identify the sites mentioned, or in the case of MB's letter of Feb 2nd, also saying how marvellous it will be when they are banned.

He didn't quite claim that it would cure the worlds ills, but the letter was preposterous that even his most ardent followers must have been wincing.
This leads me to one of them; Frederick Manby (YP journalist)
He is, I think, an honest man as he makes no pretence at impartiality and actually identifies places.
The main picture with the caption on his article reads;
'Churned; The Roman Road On Blubberhouses Moor That Is Being torn-Up By Motor-bikes'

This track didn't look much different to the track on which I walk the Dog and there are no vehicles there, so I went to look.
I found the track & stood at the point where the photo was taken.
It was just back from the soggy bit for maximum effect.

The OS grid referance is 104/165 550 if anyone wants to check.

When I went, there was more water around but it had been raining. Although there were motorcycle tyre marks, the main ruts were parallel, wider and a different pattern to motorcycle tyres.

In all, given that the track was in very soft ground, although underneath it was probably stone, the track shown was in excellent condition for the time of year - and in no way 'churned' and the base was untouched.
I didn't get my boots muddy once in the section, neither did the gentleman in the smaller photo.

The same can't be said for some of the other rights-of-way used only by walkers going to the same Roman Road; in places the mud went over my boots.
Not a complaint, or a cry to ban walkers, is heard  from anywhere - it is what you expect if you are walking on soggy ground at this time of year.

It annoys me that people are twisting facts to ban people from their recreation when we have most of th lanes to ourselves anyway
Nobody is saying that all of them are angels or don't cause damage, but walkers aren't angels either and they also cause damage.

In the Brecon Beacons National Park they are using helicopters to fly in tons of stone to repair the damage done by walkers**.

Let's act like a jury, not a lynch mob!"

*Not exactly, I've had a few in the 'Yorkshire Post' & 'The Dalesman'
** Ditto, the Pennine Way, Lyke Wake Walk & numerous other routes

A brave letter from a gentleman who is a realist and believes the countryside is for every one to share.
I'll keep my eyes open for replies to this, I might even do so myself.
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 09:01:46 »
Richard

Just someone listening to the truth, nothing more - what a joy to hear!

Maybe Glass should see a copy of this and make something of it

Dave
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 17:04:05 »
I've kept the original letter from the paper, David.
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 22:05:45 »
press@glass-uk.org might like a copy of it. Apart from anything else Frederic Manby (mentioned in text) recently sent a request for information. Is it available on line? I had a quick look but couldn't find it or the original article.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 22:58:32 »
Matthew, should I just scan it, or contact them & send on a copy/original.

Don't think the 'Yorkshire Post' actually puts letters on their web-pages (updated every day though)
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 23:09:54 »
Probably best to email and ask. I think that address goes to Julian Poulter. I'm only a mere area rep, the enquiry from Frederic Manby came to me initially, which is how i know about it.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal