AuthorTopic: help!  (Read 1558 times)

Offline yer auld aunt nelly

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
help!
« on: October 15, 2005, 21:09:49 »
anyone out there with a stage 1 v8 or a series110 as i need a bit of help with the solinoid starter connections on nelly!  :roll:
yer better not naff this up an come back to these shores or god help me yer auld aunt nelly will jump out of her grave an like as not kick yer teeth in......

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
help!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 21:47:43 »
What exactly is the problem I work on cars day in and out.
WATER DRAWS LAND ROVERS LIKE IRON FILINGS TO A MAGNET
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Series3 90 look alike Project.
Skipton North Yorkshire

D E F R A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.

Attack Member
well
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 21:58:19 »
just want to know on which terminals on the starter solinoid the three main cables and the connecter cable go.As the ref i got for my v8 dont match what ive got in front of me!And i didnt take the connections of so dont know.I would imagine a stage 1 or early v8 rover would have the same set-up.As mine is different to early rangies!
yer better not naff this up an come back to these shores or god help me yer auld aunt nelly will jump out of her grave an like as not kick yer teeth in......

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
help!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 22:03:32 »
Do you have a photo as it sounds strange to me. A pick would be good. If not can you find a pic on the net that looks like it....
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

Attack Member
help!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 22:13:24 »
ill try and get one on here tomorrow,But i need to know does the connecting wire go from the side closest on the solinoide to the starter.And the three remaining thick wires one of which is battery feed go the side of the solinoide furthest from the starter motor if you see what i mean    :roll:

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
help!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 22:25:11 »
On a normal starter there is a thick wire that comes out of the MOTOR near the solinoid this goes on the nut nearest the motor. Then the other nut is the thick live feed straight from the battery. The small terminal which is a small nut or spade connector goes to the small wire which is a feed from the ignition switch. This wire is the one which sends a +12v to the solinoid which then makes the magnet in the solinoid whack a copper strip across the inside of the two BIG nuts to make a connection for the motor. If you have a pair of jump leads and a battery connect the black to the Negative - on the battery then the other end to the body of the Motor. Then take the red lead and Carefully connect it to the Big nut furthest away from the motor. Then the other to the battery +. Be ever so carefull not to touch the solinoid case. The motor should do nothing. Then take a wire to the + red and touch the small connector small nut or spade connector.

At this point S**T yourself as the motor spins out of controll off the table.

HOLD IT WHEN YOU TOUCH THE WIRE.
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
help!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 22:28:46 »
Check this out...

The motor gets its Earth or Negative from being bolted to the Bellhousing on the gearbox. That is why you have to give it a negative - with the jump leads to make it work. Hope this is of help.
Give us a shout if you need more help...
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

Attack Member
help!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 23:13:32 »
o.k.so ive got the spade connecter  in place.And connecter from solinoide closest to the motor with the motor.And main battery feed is on the other side to motor ive got two more ring ended thickish cables thier the ones that i need to know about.

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
help!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 23:17:37 »
Ah now this is where a picture would be good. I suppose you mean there are cables on the landy or are they coming out from the Starter motor....
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

Attack Member
morning!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 08:56:21 »
Ah right i see what you mean.What we have here is a 110,85 plate v8 with engine and just about everything in place (including starter and solinoide).After a gearbox transfer so the two cables im talking about  are already in the bay at the place there meant to be just need the right connection.The probs with nelly is she is at that point in age when she is to refered as a series110 as oppossed to a true 'defender' .And it is believed by some that she may have a rover sdi block.The jury is still out on that one .But the more i find out is she is more like a stage1 than a defenderv8 under the hood!

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
help!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 16:24:21 »
those sound like they need to go on the same terminal as the link to the battery, as they provide +12v to the rest of the car.
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Attack Member
i see
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 17:21:24 »
tryed it like that and thats were me troubles started.But when i put one to one an another to the other she started!!! yer-hay.So like i always say with nelly yer never can tell

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal