AuthorTopic: Daihatsu Fourtrak  (Read 7829 times)

Offline strapping young lad

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« on: October 07, 2005, 15:30:44 »
been seeing one or two running about and i fancy getting one as a toy.

are the alright?

not going to get another landy before you ask.

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 15:57:40 »
Look out for body rot - they could be prone (but some great replacement bodies were available).

Aside from that, the engines were fairly good. The solid axle ones are fairly capable machines and could candle the rough stuff better than the independents. Spares can be problem and a little pricey, but the complete vehicle can be ridiculously cheap.

Brakes are quite good an' all!

HTH
cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 16:14:56 »
I've not had much experiance with them, but my boss has got one.

He is not technically minded, and doesn't use it like 'we' would, he uses it to pull his horsebox (rather than using his car).

All I can tell you is he has more money than sense so bought the biggest petrol engine and the most spec he could get, and yet I hate it, it is noisy and slow.

He always starts his towing in his 'yard' on hardstanding (I don't know where he take it), the only time he's tried to tow it out of his field he got stuck (wheelspinning in the mud - with road tyres!)), he telephoened me for help and I towed him (and the trailer together) out in my Discovery with no problems and that is on road tyres.

I thought Land Rovers were bad, but this takes the biscuit, he bought it to tow with, but I think he would be much better towing behind his car (530d).

I know this is only one bad experience, but this is the first and last time he's tried to tow in his field, he's not prepared to go in there anymore.

:lol:
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 17:38:36 »
isnt that down to experience though of getitng stuck

besides anyone with an ounce of common sense would get the horses out, then tow the empty box to a more solid ground then put the horses back in

or use the horses to tow you out! :)

nah its a diesel i would be going for and it will not get road tyres :)

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 17:59:09 »
Quote from: "TimM"
the only time he's tried to tow it out of his field he got stuck (wheelspinning in the mud - with road tyres!)), he telephoened me for help and I towed him (and the trailer together) out in my Discovery with no problems and that is on road tyres.

I thought Land Rovers were bad, but this takes the biscuit, he bought it to tow with, but I think he would be much better towing behind his car (530d).

With a bit of bad luck, or ill-considered driving, anyone can get stuck in flat grassy field.

Bear in mind that you had effectively eight wheel drive when you towed him out! :lol:

The transmission system (the only thing that counts in this situation) is no worse in the Fourtrak than your Discovery, in fact it might be slightly better - it could have had an LSD in the back!

H

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 23:48:44 »
whats the insurance like on a rrc compated to a fourtrak

i dont intend to spend anywhere near a grand on this thing, its a toy but has to be t&t.

its the insurance and engine size which will matter (mpg)

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 19:46:54 »
Quote from: "Henry Webster"
With a bit of bad luck, or ill-considered driving, anyone can get stuck in flat grassy field.

Bear in mind that you had effectively eight wheel drive when you towed him out! :lol:

I agree, anyone can get stuck, I think his problem was a lack of experiance, if your stuck you just put your foot down more, pulling him out I only had 4WD as he left me too it.

I think I got out through experiance, attitute, and (though on road tyres) better grip.
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 19:12:32 »
My Buddie  DAT 1 , was out at the weekend with his Hatsu  swb 2.8td  he was the oddman out  the rest of us were all Landy mounted 4Disco s  and 5 defenders  ,  his only mods- hd springs  BFG at s   his hatsu went everywhere  we went  with no probs  , MPG 30-35 insurance 200fcomp 60 ncb ,  i would say if it was lifted by 2inches  remove those huge bumpers replace with tubes  it would be very capable - its also mega reliable  he s owned it 3yrs not spent a penny except normal  regular serviceing.  spares can be got from Milners  they have most things . including panels.
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 16:41:43 »
We got a daihatsu fortrak its a 2.2 petrol its fast but around town its very thirsty. Great on motorways. Good off road if its got proper tyres on. Crap with road tyres. Ours is a K reg so it has electronic dampers which is super duper. HARD MEDIUM AND SOFT. A button for 4x4. Cumfy just expensive on parts. It don't go off road much but got great suspension.
WATER DRAWS LAND ROVERS LIKE IRON FILINGS TO A MAGNET
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Series3 90 look alike Project.
Skipton North Yorkshire

D E F R A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.

Offline The Fat Controller

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 21:55:01 »
front axles are no harder to rebuild than on the disco 1's or rrc's.i did one the other evening for a mate (civvy2000) who bought one a few weeks ago and wandered were all the play was in the front end.both swivels were full of mud,the bearings top and bottom contained only mud(no grease).new bearings,removal of mud,major cleanout,injection of a tin of grease,rebuild and haypresto no play where there shouldn't be.
THE RESULT,one happy civvy2000
BRIAN                                                              1987 Range Rover 6cyl turbo 5dr 5 speed(diesel)diesel.1988 Range Rover 3.5V8 vogue se(duck)lpg. car trailer(s c ruffy).  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/duck  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/diesel/0/264830-1121727056.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/2406/RANGE%20ROVER/DSC00079.jpg

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 20:53:45 »
I have owened one for a year brill ..

great engines anything you want to know let me know

Marriage is the only war where you sleep with
the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4
Range Rover Bob Tail 3.5V8

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 21:05:51 »
Try and get a 2.8 TD ES 7 seater type about 'E' reg with no rust. They seem to be the better ones for playing in.
They have a longer wheelbase for a more comfy ride. The short ones have a rough ride on the road.
They are meant to have better offroad manners than the later Fieldman type ones.

Chop the front bumper and the towhitch to have better angles front and rear.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline jalopy joe

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 12:58:15 »
Paid £500 for my old leafer, Comfortable it aint but as far as trialling goes, the drivers ability runs out before the cars :oops:  :oops:   I dont seem to have any more probs than similar landies and Suzukis on the odd playdays that I do.  Cheap fun really.  Going to change to a Landie simply because I want to upgrade to challenge spec. and the bits will be all available.
Suzuki Vitara - "Joes Jalopy"
New offroad project following the Niva and the Fourtrak.
Joe Richards

A "Saint" -  if it wasn't for Napoleon nobody would have heard of us.

Offline justinmud

Attack Member
Daihatsu Fourtrak
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 16:59:55 »
I have owned several fourtraks they are good offroad cheap for parts and reliable but it is true to say that they do get a good bit of body rot if they have not been looked after, check front body mountings,rear inner/outer arches where the plastic arches are,and the floor in the rear where rear seat passangers feet go. Also check before you hand over any cash that the 4wd works id go for one with all 4wd settings on the gear stick as some models are fitted with a button on the dash for 4wd high and uses solinoids and vacum pipes to pull it into 4wd and they are prone to fail and they are a pain to sort out. Any more help just drop us a message cheers justin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal