AuthorTopic: what to do?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline yer auld aunt nelly

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
what to do?
« on: October 03, 2005, 21:34:37 »
For once in my life dare i say it things are going my way.And i am left with a bit of a problem namely do i (A) buy a new motor for myself with some of the  improvements loan im getting on top of my mortgage(as the price of our council property was way below the agreed value of the mortgage approval figure)or (B)fix up NELLY and proberly buy mrs nelly a freelander as the idea of someone the dimensions of a ompalompa just cant drive any thing else landrover make.For the sake of clarity nelly will need a new bulkhead soon the interior will need seeing too and the rear tub has seen better days,and i should say a respray is in the offing.Plus whatever option i take i will also be getting winch and bumper and a dirty great brownchurch roof rack !But this is one of those chances that only comes once in a long time.And any spare cash soon will be swallowed by kids, ive got 4.In ten years teenagers all,plus keeping up fixing up this place.So i dont want to nonce this chance up any suggestions would be greatfully recieved.YER AULD AUNT NELLY (not turtle's  brother)      :D
yer better not naff this up an come back to these shores or god help me yer auld aunt nelly will jump out of her grave an like as not kick yer teeth in......

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 21:38:33 »
Always Have a Backbone = Freelander and then a Hobby, to throw money at when times can afford.

Thats how i play the game. If the Hobby vehicle gets a bit Dead then you have the Backbone vehicle. untilt he hobby vehicle is sorted.
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline Colin 009

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
what to do?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 21:43:51 »
I'd go with B, as its a safe bet, her indoors will let you do anything after that.
Cheers.
Colin,
Shiny Blue Crew 009
                   "Everbody Has to be Somewhere"

Attack Member
and theres more
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 22:03:28 »
BY the way did i mention that we also picked up a h reg disco along the way which was originally meant to be mrs nelly's,When aunt nelly had a strop on. But in the fullness of time it's become apparant that mrs nelly just wont be able to drive the disco without major mods to the control's .Are these possible, if so it might help the situation as we would still have a comparitively family motor(but saying that even the disco light is fading) I know that proberly just muddied the water's further but these things need carefull consideration!!    :wink:
yer better not naff this up an come back to these shores or god help me yer auld aunt nelly will jump out of her grave an like as not kick yer teeth in......

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
what to do?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 09:23:45 »
Sorry if this is a stupid/personal question, but in what was does Mrs Nelly struggle to drive the Disco?  :oops:

I'm just trying to visualise what mods might be required?

:wink:
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline turtle

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 09:30:18 »
Mrs Nelly is a very small person, she has trouble reaching the pedals on most landies. The pedals would need to be modified if possible for her to reach.

Offline TimM

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 10:57:59 »
And if we adopt a (relatively simple) pedal extension would your brother be able to use it?
Tim
2009 Range Rover TDV8

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 11:47:52 »
Quote from: "turtle"
Mrs Nelly is a very small person, she has trouble reaching the pedals on most landies. The pedals would need to be modified if possible for her to reach.

In that case, the obvious thing to do is get her a 101 - they're ideally suited to smaller people due to the way the seating position is designed.  However, unless she has the biceps of Popeye, probably best treat her to a PAS conversion too.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Attack Member
now theres a thing
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 14:54:22 »
funny you should mention that.Because she has always said she wanted a 101 but when your 4.11 you cant see over the dash let alone stear,Plus little baby nelly needs to fetched in an out along with the shopping etc,Like i said how do you get someone who's 5 an a half stone an 4'11 tall to drive any thing with a green oval on it.If it helps with a mental picture my oldest who's ten years old is about the same size!!!! :P

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 15:23:39 »
Well, Mrs Thelobster is only 2 inches taller, and she's driven the 101 without a major problem (apart from the steering and brakes, but I'm sorting that out...)  The problem most people have with the 101 is getting in and out.  You really need a gantry.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Attack Member
yes maybe
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 16:38:31 »
Thats interesting but what im after is a football-mum motor as it seems i have half a team of kids round here!Are you trying to convince me that a 101 is the perfect family motor    :shock: must admit nice thought  :lol:

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: yes maybe
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 16:40:50 »
Quote from: "yer auld aunt nelly"
Thats interesting but what im after is a football-mum motor as it seems i have half a team of kids round here!Are you trying to convince me that a 101 is the perfect family motor    :shock: must admit nice thought  :lol:

There you go then !

Seating for 12, plus the shopping, plus the luggage and a few other things you might want to carry...   no problem parking it... everyone just scatters when they see it coming down the road.    (Especially if Mrs Nelly is so short that you can't see her behind the wheel ;-))
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attack Member
but then ?
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 17:37:00 »
HA-HA But the other point is we got to insure the damn thing mate!! Baring in mind it will be mrs nelly's first car!  :D

cardinal_Biggles

what to do?
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 20:05:03 »
and if you are feeling a bit devil may care get yerself an M3 Halftrack probably hard to find spares and would tear up the tarmac something awful but nobody would argue with ya when yer out driving and at least you wouldnt see another one in the car park at tescos.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 20:19:06 »
How about a pair of 2" leg extentions. Im sure someone on here can sort you out with the required goods.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Attack Member
a-ha
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 20:45:02 »
all very well and good boys--i some how get the feeling that yuor not taking  this issue seriously   :wink: And i must admit it is quite farcical but have you ever tried to match a munckin to a motor?believe me its not easy.Plus the more levity that is shown towards this issue the greater danger im put in.She may be small but can be quite "nasty"So please before all landy privaleges are withdrawn how the heel can i get mrs nelly in a car and not end up with her looking like a mascot on the dash? :wink:

Offline Simon_Doc

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 20:57:14 »
I know this'll make you cringe, however ever thought about looking @ the Japanese side of 4x4's for the missus? Bearing in mind the average height of a male in Japan is 5'5" they design their motors for the more "vertically challenged" (aka short 'ouses) amongst us.
My 12 year old is 4'9 and she can drive the paj just fine with the seat fully forward and raised up a bit from where I @ 5'10 need it.

No flaming me please I am only thinking outloud...

Simon
Red / Silver 1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 TD XRII Wide Body. 5 Cog Manual Box, 24 to the gallon and lovin' it!
The Devil made me do it, but God said it was alright by him!

Offline The Fat Controller

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 21:10:32 »
Quote from: "turtle"

can you put blocks of wood on her feet like the boy in indiana jones,that way she could reach the pedals and see through the windscreen at the same time
BRIAN                                                              1987 Range Rover 6cyl turbo 5dr 5 speed(diesel)diesel.1988 Range Rover 3.5V8 vogue se(duck)lpg. car trailer(s c ruffy).  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/duck  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/diesel/0/264830-1121727056.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/2406/RANGE%20ROVER/DSC00079.jpg

cardinal_Biggles

what to do?
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 14:57:24 »
Yeah and if seeing over the dash is a problem then just get her a booster seat I had one when I was a kid and they are surprisingly comfy however if seeing over the dash is a problem then how about simply replacing the drivers seat with one with a height adjust function surely that'd sort out any issues of verticality.

Attack Member
but also
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 23:12:23 »
yer mate i know what yer saying but then the issue is reaching the pedals and dealing with the floor being further away! :roll: But saying that turtle just brought round a pamphlat sent to him by timM i believe which has bolt on goodies for special drivers.And there is some interresting stuff in that pop round at the weekend and have a look see!

Offline TimM

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 09:00:40 »
He's printed the lot off?

He must have more money than sense!

Or access to somebody elses' printer  :twisted:

Hope it helps  :wink:
Tim
2009 Range Rover TDV8

Offline turtle

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 10:10:07 »
Quote from: "TimM"
He must have more money than sense!

:)

There was some intresting stuff in the PDF, was well worth a read I though, anyways Nelly now got it Thanks Tim, which has given him some ideas. Cheers

Offline TimM

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 10:12:48 »
Printing that lot out would have sucked my ink cartridges dry several times over!

52 pages of full colour.....

Thats where work comes in (with their colour laser printers  :twisted: )

Glad it helped.  :wink:
Tim
2009 Range Rover TDV8

Offline turtle

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 10:14:50 »
Quote from: "TimM"
52 pages of full colour.....

Only printed it out in B/W, keep the colour cartridge for special things  :wink:

cardinal_Biggles

what to do?
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 14:49:25 »
Righto nelly I shall see thee upon the friday or saturday whatever tickles yer fancy more if ya want i'll bring the beast pc round as I am getting the new brothers in arms game tommorow give that a play if you fancy

Attack Member
funny enough
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 17:20:01 »
coolio dude yes mate friday would be good.And cheers timM once again i rang some of the no,s and got quite good replies.One of which was a place in kingshill Bucks who said that most of their trade was for persons of chalanged hight.Including the woman i was speaking to who had a corvette coupe modded so that she at 5ft could drive!     :P

Offline TimM

Attack Member
what to do?
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 17:23:37 »
Glad to help

:(contented):
Tim