AuthorTopic: 2" lifts, any long term users?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline fram

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2" lifts, any long term users?
« on: September 23, 2005, 17:06:55 »
Hi guys,
             With the zook now sold and the Defender looking like its going as well, we are going to invest in a Disco mainly for greenlanes, and the odd pay and play with our club. After purchase we will have about £1,750 to spend on "bits" to turn her into a bit of a beast, we have already decided on winch and underbody protection etc and we are now looking at suspension.
Anyway the question is this, we are thinking of buying one of the lift kits from mm4x4, which includes,

decarbon shocks
coils
dislocation cones
extended bump stops
rear check straps
extended brake hoses

this seems like a good deal, and includes most of what you need to do the job, my question however is this
Has anyone had a 2" lift fitted without caster corrected arms and double U/J's, for any length of time? ie 6months or more, and have they had any major problems? I know this has been done too death but there is no specific long term "user reviews" if you know what I mean.
Thanks for all your help, and if any one can suggest must have buys for the Disco then by all means let us know.
Thanks
Fram.
Katie, Green 200tdi Disco

Offline seph234

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 17:55:21 »
my 2" lift has been on for about a year now and i havnt changed my props or corrected my castor and touch wood all seems fine so far.  joe
200 tdi disco
bf goodrich muds 265/75/16 on mods
2"lift bearmach springs pro comp shocks
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled
wizard bits steering damper relocation kit
sumo track rod####sold it#

now own lc colorado 2000 x reg 30td  and loving it!!!!

Offline seph234

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 17:56:52 »
](*,)  you just know i have jinxed myself now :lol:
200 tdi disco
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled

Offline chris9119

Attack Member
  • The New Big Boy, Gert...
    • Lordswood, Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 18:18:26 »
Fram

You said you had £1750 to spend, a good winch and bumper or going to set you back over £1k, a 2" lift kit - £300/400, protection - £150, new radius/trailing arms - £300, oooooooooooops, thats where its all gone...... :wink:

Chris
Chris
Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chris9119/gallery

Mud-Clubbers do it on channel 30

Offline seph234

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 18:42:55 »
one thing i would reccomend is rock sliders or whatever you want to call them, they have saved my disco loads of times. joe
200 tdi disco
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 18:47:50 »
personally i'd bung the cash for your winch in your back pocket and spoend your money on kit which will get you stuck to the point where you need a winch

underbody protection, wheels and tyres, decent suspenion.

going out in an under equipped vehicle and using your winch every 5 minutes gets boring and you can't get as much done in a day, whereas if your vehicle is more capable you will get stuck less often,
only trouble is you'll eventually get to the point where you get so far that none of your mates can reach you to pull you out.
i'd say thi sis the time to buy a winch
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 18:57:49 »
I would agree, a good winch is going to cost at least 500 quid. I have had similar kit from Scorpion on for 18 months and no probs, I have corrected the castor angle and have cranked trailing arms...Seph is right about rock sliders/ sills they are a god send. You needent worry about the propshafts.....unless you are very unlucky
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 23:16:53 »
10,000 miles on a 2" lift. I extended the brake pipes before I bust them and have eaten one prop shaf UJ - however it was probably on it's way out anyway... Got a second hand one with two brand new ujs for £55 from safari and no probs since (oh apart from the brakes and the plethora of holes I've found!)

Offline fram

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 23:24:59 »
Thanks guys,
                      I have done a bit of research on the kit, and you can get quite a bit for your money....!!

Rebel winch bumper and t-max 9500 winch £495 delivered
rear bumper £245 delivered from paddocks
Rock sliders from Mill services £158.63 delivered
safari snorkel £170ish from anywhere
lift kit from mm-4x4 £366 as described previously
rebel aluminium steering guard £93
QT diff guards around £100
Total cost...£1,627.63

The Disco we are, hopefully getting, allready has decent tyres on her so thats not a problem, which means we are well under budget, we already have shackles and strops and various bits, so as you can see it can be done. A local firm is going to fabricate a tank guard and possibly an 'A' bar but there is no real rush, the only other thing I would like to do is polybush all round, when we do the suspension. I was just a bit worried that fitting a 2" lift would lead to all kinds of problems but a few people I have talked to have done it without changing the caster angle and havent had any real problems but I thought I would check with you guys as well as there seems to be a load of people who have done it, and the advice you get on here always seems to be from very well informed people,
Thanks once again guys, and if there is anything missing from the List please let me know.
Fram
Katie, Green 200tdi Disco

colintandy

kit
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 10:07:45 »
dont forget the obvious that dredded VAT and delivery charges if you havent already    just a thought!

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 10:16:47 »
When you order the suspension kit make sure you tell them what else you are putting on the Disco as this will affect the strength of the springs they send you.
The +2" springs I was sent were for a standard vehicle and were way too soft for my Disco so I ended up with +3" springs.  :wink:

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 10:31:15 »
I ran a 2" lift on my 200Tdi for about 30,000 miles (then sold it) and have had a 1.5" lift on my TD5 for about the same distance.

With the 200Tdi I didn't modify anything else;  with the TD5 I extended the ABS sensor cables.  Brake pipes were fine in both instances.  Didn't do anything with the radius arms or the prop shafts.

No problems at all with castor angle;  the steering is perhaps not quite as precise as it was, but certainly not bad enough to need anything doing to it.  Everything else has been tickety-boo, apart from a transmission whine now from the TD5, which I thought was maybe a UJ complaining, but now looks like it's probably a diff bearing;  whether or not that has anything to do with the lift is debateable.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal