AuthorTopic: which lockers  (Read 2139 times)

Offline chuggaman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
which lockers
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:36:20 »
need to get diff lockers but as these items are so expensive

can i have your experiences with different brands

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline Digsit

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:08:54 »
Vehicle history:
Discovery 200tdi - Charity - went past her expiry date
Discovery 300tdi - Clarity - went into rear of Audi A3
Discovery 300tdi - D'une  - went bang
Discovery TD5 - unnamed - just went

Cliff - In my own little world............visitors welcome !!

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:14:37 »
ARB front and rear without any doubt

theey're on and off when you want them to be, have the benefit of an onboard air system. i'd recommend modifying the supplied wiring so you can switch both independantly, the supplied setup is setup so you can only have the front if the rear is in

run all the airlines inside hosepipe

keep the oil changed regularly, oh and make sure your axle breathers are clear.

been in for 12 months and done a stack of events and play days, plus its ace on wet roundabouts if you drop the rear locker in - HEHE
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:19:37 »
Ive got an ARB for the rear, was thinking if a limited slip fir the front but Im really in two minds.

Certainly for the rear an ARB is my 100% choice.
Ashley (but everyone knows me as Ash...)

Roxanne the 88" 300tdi auto Hybrid Trayback thats broken more than its fixed
Rosie the 300 Tdi auto disco that picks the hybrid up when broken...
Daisey the trailer that sits behind Rosie and lies under Roxanne.
The sexy threesome!!!!!!

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:41:43 »
Dunno if you guys get "Detroit" lockers... they're like a rachet so that both wheels are always driven unless one is going faster... I hear they are a bit noisier, but it's always on if you need it....

An ARB fitted right is great, and badly fitted one is crap :) Make sure the airlines are well up under the body and protected from snags...

There are much better air pumps out there for not a lot more than the ARB....

Offline Spooky

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 14:02:26 »
Quote from: "EvilEd"
Dunno if you guys get "Detroit" lockers... they're like a rachet so that both wheels are always driven unless one is going faster... I hear they are a bit noisier, but it's always on if you need it....

This is a question I find myself asking, as you get cries of 'They're totally useless' on here as well.

I can understand the problem of wanting to 'open' the diff to help with getting out of ruts, but otherwise, what is wrong with the Detroit?? :?: Maybe someone out there who is wiser than I am (not hard I know) will have the definitive answer ...
Regards,
Mick Ghost

2000 Td5 ES, named 'Dixie'
Shiny Blue Crew 017

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 14:07:20 »
The only problems I have heard is with "Worn" carriers in the Diff.... if it's slightly worn, the detroit will wear it out and be REALLY noisy. So long as your carrier is good, they shouldn't be a problem, and no air lines to get caught on branches or pulled off by mud...

Saying that, I'll probably fit Arbs when I fit some.....

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 15:20:23 »
Quote from: "EvilEd"

Saying that, I'll probably fit Arbs when I fit some.....

Me too  :wink:
Ashley (but everyone knows me as Ash...)

Roxanne the 88" 300tdi auto Hybrid Trayback thats broken more than its fixed
Rosie the 300 Tdi auto disco that picks the hybrid up when broken...
Daisey the trailer that sits behind Rosie and lies under Roxanne.
The sexy threesome!!!!!!

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 17:04:19 »
My set up is as follows :

ARB in the rear...   locking action when I choose, not when it thinks I need it.  Best value for money for a full controlled locker in my opinion.

Detroit Trutrac in the front.... this isn't the Auto locker... they are the scourge of the known usiverse as far as I am concerned..   The Trutrac is a torque biasing diff, which gives you a large degree of limited slip operation...  this is a progressive build up, so the effect on your steering and potential for damage to the front axle components is greatly reduced.   With a trutrac you keep the driveability of a progressive limited slip diff without the 'binary' response of a full locker.  I've yet to experience any situation where my setup was beaten by a vehicle with a front locker solely because of the locker... it's usually because I have managed to do something stupid and get stuck :-)

Why do I despise the auto-lockers ?  Well... because they auto-lock !  Whenever they feel the need.  I know a number of people who have given up on them because they got so fed up of them locking up on the road or on a slightly muddy track, and all the bangs and clatters which come with them releasing again.   A locked front axle makes steering anywhere very entertaining.   A rear locker can be bad enough, a front locker is a nightmare in my experience.   A front locker that you can't manually disengage ?   Not in my 90 thanks !
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Spooky

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 20:02:04 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Why do I despise the auto-lockers ?  Well... because they auto-lock !  Whenever they feel the need...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the 'Detroit Locker' was more of an automatic unlocker, insofar that it is normally locked, but allows an outside wheel to 'freewheel' faster than the inside wheel on a bend on a tarmac road.

I'd agree about never fitting one to the front axle - indeed I wasn't going to fit any locker to the front (I don't intend to get that serious, as it's still a fairly nice truck) ...

Maybe I'm just getting myself all confused (again) ... ](*,)
Regards,
Mick Ghost

2000 Td5 ES, named 'Dixie'
Shiny Blue Crew 017

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 20:34:59 »
Quote from: "Spooky"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the 'Detroit Locker' was more of an automatic unlocker, insofar that it is normally locked, but allows an outside wheel to 'freewheel' faster than the inside wheel on a bend on a tarmac road

Well, whichever way round it is... in my experience they don't work very well :-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 21:44:53 »
I am running an ARB air locker in the rear and a standard diff in the front

its great cos u can choose when u want to use it or not.

I would recommend fitting one as when the circumstances are right and u keep traction when others have lost theirs it makes you look likea real cool driver!!!!

I would say that dont expect miracles with them in soft mud as you just tend to end up with three wheels spinning rather than two!  (or so)
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 22:33:58 »
Quote from: "davidlandy"
it makes you look likea real cool driver!!!!

I KNEW IT! There was always something not quite right there somehow!! :wink:
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 23:31:01 »
Arb's are what i have and can recommend them. There when you want em and normal under all other conditions. I would look to upgrade to 4 pinion diffs at the same time, you may as well. Jack McNamara are supposed to be stronger but I havent used them and they are more expensive.
Detroit lockers are pants!!!! My mate killed one in less than 500 miles , gave poor handling on the road and you have to drive differently. They lock under power , so they are not engaged as Spooky suggested. You have to approach corners and coast round on an even throttle to stop them locking in. If not they can lock in mid corner with pant filling results(especially in the wet!!)
Arbs mate they make so much sense....have you had a lottery win or what???
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 14:15:48 »
thanks guys

so the resulting concencus points towards arb.

now with the bigger wheels i also need to adress either the ring and pinion or the transfer box to adjust the ratio.

i have heard lots of times that its better to leave tha halfshafts as standard as they are relativly cheap to replace(and easier)

now if i go for the 4.1 ring and pinion for front and rear axles and put an arb locker in the rear...is the standard transfer box going to be ok and cope with the setup..thus leaving the halfshafts as the weekest point..

mike

Offline Mace

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 14:27:21 »
If you change the transfer box for a defender one it will leave your low ratio a bit on the high side with big boots on I believe. Some say 1st gear tickover is too high. Changing the R&P to 4.11 will return both High & Low ratio back to a similar ratio to stock wheels and tyres, thus improving your very low speed gearing. Depends what you want it for I suppose.
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 15:16:36 »
I've found my fuel consumption has taken a dive, as well as (obviously) top speed with a defender t box in my Disco.

It does make towing the caravan a bit easier and as I do most of the mileage with the caravan on the back it's not mch of a problem.

I'd be a bit more concerned about it if I had to do most of the miles solo without the van.

I'm considering going back to my old T box as I've since found I had a pump problem and that may have contributed to the lack of power in certain power ranges. I seemed to be forever flitting between fifth and fourth while towing.

The defender box I fitted has some seals leaking so it'll be interesting to see what the old box is like while I'm redoing the seals on the defender one.
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Disco Inferno

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 00:15:57 »
i'm still runninga standard disco transfer box and stanadr ring and pinions
yeh its bit quick inlow box but i've jsut adjusted my driving style, i still use it onthe road but soon that is going to end
have heardof usin g a 1.6 ratio tranny box from an early 110,
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
which lockers
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 09:38:05 »
I went for an Ashcrofts recon 1.41 t-box, mainly cos it was nearly half the price of getting two recon diffs!
Low box is still controllable on downhill slopes with plenty of engine braking but as Wanderer has said, the fuel consumption has increased.
I wouldn't change it back to the old box though, I can pull away on 2nd on the road again, accelorate up hills and do 30 mph in 4th & 40 mph in 5th again. Well happy with it.  :D

Oh, and I've now got the twin rear shocks fitted Chugg' great offroad, a bit solid onroad!!  Article in the Workshop.  :wink:

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
which lockers
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 20:11:18 »
Quote from: "Budgie"
I went for an Ashcrofts recon 1.41 t-box, mainly cos it was nearly half the price of getting two recon diffs!
Low box is still controllable on downhill slopes with plenty of engine braking but as Wanderer has said, the fuel consumption has increased.
I wouldn't change it back to the old box though, I can pull away on 2nd on the road again, accelorate up hills and do 30 mph in 4th & 40 mph in 5th again. Well happy with it.  :D

Oh, and I've now got the twin rear shocks fitted Chugg' great offroad, a bit solid onroad!!  Article in the Workshop.  :wink:

i did the twin rear shocks too

and yes i must agree

big difference

and better

even better with plus four shocks

mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal