AuthorTopic: Amazed and chuffed  (Read 1459 times)

Offline thermidorthelobster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Amazed and chuffed
« on: September 20, 2005, 12:46:01 »
I'm pretty pleased - I've refitted the carbs, which I stripped down and rebuilt, to the 101.  As I did so I pondered over the chances of them working - there's a lot of complicated stuff to mess up in there, and it's not run at all since the trip back from the Malvern show.  So you can guess I was quite chuffed when it started on the first turn of the key!

It now runs sweetly - better than before it broke - and idles nicely.  I've done some first-pass tweaking of the jets but will let somebody with emissions gear get it done properly.

Now at least I can drive it to Farnborough to get the power steering fitted!  I think I'll ask the guy to sort out the blowing exhaust manifolds whilst it's there - nasty job to get to them!
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline muddysteve

Attack Member
Amazed and chuffed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 17:09:22 »
I dont think its gonna fit in pauls workshop so i hope its not raining when it goes in  :lol:

Steve
Steve                www.lanerovers.co.uk    www.surreyoffroaders.co.uk

Attack Member
Amazed and chuffed
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 18:23:48 »
Hmm, hadn't thought of that  :?

At least with the engine in the cab you can work on it without getting wet  8)
David French
Tree-hugging communist
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Attack Member
Amazed and chuffed
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 14:05:29 »
Nearly hit the rocks this morning when I started her up again - started fine three times (I wanted to check!) and on the fourth time, the starter wouldn't cut out and carried on running with the engine...

Then I turned the engine off and took the key out, and it *still* carried on running - engine and starter!  Fortunately there's a battery isolator, so I was able to cut it out before anything went wrong.

Wasn't sure whether the starter solenoid was jammed on (if I understand it right, the 12v feed from the solenoid to the coil would keep the ignition running, and presumably it would have carried on until the carbs ran out of fuel), or whether it was the ignition switch.  And of course I'd left the multimeter at home.

Took the starter off, glared at it a bit, sprayed it with WD40 to make sure the cog kicked back in;  also sprayed the ignition switch.  And now it works again.  Hooray!  Still not sure which it was though  :?

Also glad to see it runs both on unleaded and lpg, now I've got it to a garage to fill it up with gas.
David French
Tree-hugging communist

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Amazed and chuffed
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 19:20:19 »
Also glad to see it runs both on unleaded and lpg, now I've got it to a garage to fill it up with gas.

thought you would have to find 1 with a big enough forcourt to get it in  :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal