AuthorTopic: Turbo lifespan  (Read 9201 times)

gords

Turbo lifespan
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:33:42 »
Do turbos generally work until they blow up and/or generally fail? Or do/can they gradually lose effectiveness?

I'm currently looking at options to up the power of my Discovery, but it's probably best to check everything is working efficiently first!?

Is it just a case of connecting a boost guage to check it, or is it more complicated than that?

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Turbo lifespan
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 10:51:36 »
Quote from: "gords"
Is it just a case of connecting a boost guage to check it, or is it more complicated than that?

That's the best place to start, it will give you an indication of the turbo, actuator and lift pump performance.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gords

Re: Turbo lifespan
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 11:02:15 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"

That's the best place to start, it will give you an indication of the turbo, actuator and lift pump performance.

What's the procedure for testing and what readings would I be looking for?

Anyone got a boost guage handy? :wink:

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 11:04:15 »
Jasons got a boost guage

u just plumb it into the inlet manifold.

I would think carefully prior to making any adjustments - the consequences can be expensive.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 11:18:32 »
Quote from: "davidlandy"
Jasons got a boost guage

Who/where?
I would think carefully prior to making any adjustments - the consequences can be expensive.

Yes, don't worry!!

I need to do something as it struggles to reach, let alone maintain, 70mph :shock:

While on holiday (France, Alps) I found that 60 - 70 was impossible to maintain where the roads were not flat (or there was a headwind!). Although, 75 - 80 was better but I could only get to that sort of speed downhill. It managed to maintain it on the flat but would drop to 50 -55 going uphill :(

To/from Wales this weekend was a similar story - pretty much impossible to maintain 70mph. 4 hours at full throttle is not good for fuel consumption ... and it makes my leg ache!!!

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 11:26:21 »
that dont sound right at all - mind you the bigger tyres you have fitted will make little a bit of difference.

I would suspect that its not the turbo being faulty though.

have you tweaked the pump?

Jason lives in northants, if u go onto the yellowstrap website his mobile no.is on there - have a word with him and im sure that he can post it to you - it has piping on it and unions.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 11:37:25 »
that dont sound right at all - mind you the bigger tyres you have fitted will make little a bit of difference.

I would suspect that its not the turbo being faulty though.

have you tweaked the pump?

No tweaks to anything!

I took the EGR valve off recently which really helped the low end/slow driving. No effect to the top end unfortunately.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 11:42:50 »
What shape are your filters in, both fuel and *air* ;-)
--
Neil

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 11:48:16 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
What shape are your filters in, both fuel and *air* ;-)

I replaced the Fuel filter about a month (or two?) ago. The filter is K&N and was clean-ish a couple of weeks ago.

I suppose the intercooler is a suspect. It's not been cleaned out since I've had the car.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 11:53:29 »
Get a boost guage on it... if you are struggling that much, my guess is that the turbo isn't boosting properly.  Could well be the actuator... that's what was wrong with Daz's 200 Tdi.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 12:03:41 »
Get a boost guage on it...

Anyone know of a web site that sells the required gauge/connectors/etc?

What rating (of gauge) do I need?

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 12:23:11 »
Your engine should boost at 1bar, so I would recommend gatting on that records more than this, mine guage goes to 2 bar and would sit at one bar nicely vertical, allowing plenty of movement either way for over/underboost.

I got it from a car tuning shop Carnossier, it's made by Tim Guages (which is handy for me having TIM written all over my dials!). I'm afraid I can't find there website though.

Mine would work great if I could work out how to fit it  :oops:
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 12:48:39 »
I've been Google'ing and came across someone who had performance problems which were solved by cleaning (?) the fuel sedimenter?

What is it? Where is it? How do I clean it?

NeilWilson

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 12:54:39 »
I've been Google'ing and came across someone who had performance problems which were solved by cleaning (?) the fuel sedimenter?

What is it? Where is it? How do I clean it?

http://www.difflock.com/servicing/tdi-6k-service/tdi-6k-2.shtml

About 2/3rd of the way down.  Cheers.

Neil

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 13:10:54 »
Ah, so that's what that thing is!

For the 12,000 mile service, they recommend taking it off and cleaning it internally. I assume you can do that without draining the fuel tank?

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 13:34:20 »
If the intercooler hasn't been cleaned then it's worth doing.
I can't remember what size tyres you've got Gord but if it's something like 235x85's then this will drasticly effect the gearing of the vehicle and make your speedo read upto 7mph slower than you are actually going!!

If you've got a GPS then check your actual speed with what the speedo is telling you, it may not be as slow as you think!  :wink:

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 14:31:28 »
Quote from: "Budgie"
I can't remember what size tyres you've got Gord but if it's something like 235x85's then this will drasticly effect the gearing of the vehicle and make your speedo read upto 7mph slower than you are actually going!!

So, you haven't read all the stuff that appears under all of my posts then :roll:  :wink:  Yes, 235/85's :lol:

I've checked the speedo with a GPS and at 30 it's dead on, by the time the speedo is reading 70, I'm actually doing 75. In my previous posts, I'm talking actual GPS speed readings.

The problem is not so much that it takes a long time to get there (70mph), but the fact that it struggles to get there in the first place and then struggles/fails to maintain it.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2005, 19:08:46 »
just had my 90 on the boost guage as its fitted with a disco engine & its only doin 7 psi or .5 bar & i lengthened the actuator rod 1 1/2 turns & that didnt make any difference,any sugestions as my 90 strugles to get to 70 mph aswell but itts fitted with 205's & a NA t box
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline seph234

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 20:33:11 »
i thought that you shorten the actuater arm i.e wind it in. to gain boost im only refering to my rs turbo days so might be wrong with the landie but i should think its the same as any other turbo. joe
200 tdi disco
bf goodrich muds 265/75/16 on mods
2"lift bearmach springs pro comp shocks
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled
wizard bits steering damper relocation kit
sumo track rod####sold it#

now own lc colorado 2000 x reg 30td  and loving it!!!!

Offline seph234

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 20:34:46 »
and before anyone mentions it, yes an rs turbo. I am from essex :lol:
200 tdi disco
bf goodrich muds 265/75/16 on mods
2"lift bearmach springs pro comp shocks
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled
wizard bits steering damper relocation kit
sumo track rod####sold it#

now own lc colorado 2000 x reg 30td  and loving it!!!!

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 21:16:58 »

So, you haven't read all the stuff that appears under all of my posts then :roll:  :wink:  Yes, 235/85's :lol:

:(bigoops):

Have a go with the turning the diaphram in the injector pump through 60 degrees and see what happens.
I think Seph is right Mikee, you should be shortening the actuator rod so the gate opens more. Not something I've had a play with yet.  :wink:

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 21:34:34 »
Quote from: "Budgie"
Have a go with the turning the diaphram in the injector pump through 60 degrees and see what happens.

But check the turbo first !

No point messing with the fuelling until you know the rest of the system is working properly.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

colintandy

fuel pump
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2005, 21:55:35 »
if you take a look at diaphram inside fuel pump as you stand at wing see where your little mark is try putting at about 3oclock and then try this will increase the rate of fuel flow 3oclock is about full open then just adjust back or forward a little till your happy if your smokin to much under load go to the lock nut under the cap of the top cover to the fuel pump lossen and adjust up or down according to smoke level but always mark stuff befor so you know where to put back if you not happy
be carefull not to overfuel as your engine cant take it for to long without fitting correct exhaust ect to get max gas flow and youl end up stressing your engine and exhaust very quickly also take actuator rod off and turn inwards if not seiezed and be carefull to grip well as you dont want to turn the insides of the actuator turn in about 4 turns at a time and check you might find you run out of rod befor your happy you can shorten but only do about 3mm at time this all should increase performance there are other things you can do but there me secret secrets regards colin hope this helps

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2005, 22:21:05 »
Quote from: "V8_redline7500"
just had my 90 on the boost guage as its fitted with a disco engine & its only doin 7 psi or .5 bar & i lengthened the actuator rod 1 1/2 turns & that didnt make any difference,any sugestions as my 90 strugles to get to 70 mph aswell but itts fitted with 205's & a NA t box

<Bump> im a tit,i actually shortened it 1 1/2 turns ie screwed the bit of the turbo up the thread,will have a go again tommorow if im quiet at college,
seph dont worry bout the rst,was gonna buy 1 but built my 90 instead
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Re: fuel pump
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2005, 23:44:39 »
Quote from: "colintandy"
if you take a look at diaphram inside fuel pump as you stand at wing see where your little mark is try putting at about 3oclock and then try this will increase the rate of fuel flow 3oclock is about full open then just adjust back or forward a little till your happy if your smokin to much under load go to the lock nut under the cap of the top cover to the fuel pump lossen and adjust up or down according to smoke level but always mark stuff befor so you know where to put back if you not happy
Be careful cos' not all the popmarks are in the 12 o'clock position on the diaphrams, better to rotate it a maximum of 90 degrees from where you find it.  :wink:

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 09:19:40 »
I've spent years working on big Diesels, the size of busses, I have never seen a turbo loose performance, they are made with too much reserve.
Boost problems are always eleswhere, Intercoolers are teh most common or even air leaks, on the disco it could be the waste gate controlling it.

Your origional guess was right, when a turbo goes it just dies a death, keep changing your oil to give it the best life and when you stop let it spin down before you turn the engine off and stop it's oil supply.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 10:51:12 »
Does this look like the right sort of thing (boost gauge)?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7992906599

What's the recommended stuff for cleaning InterCoolers and where do I get it?

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2005, 11:06:54 »
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

gords

Turbo lifespan
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2005, 11:08:24 »
Looks about right.

and :

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=5743&highlight=cleaning+intercooler

Excellent ... now to find the nearest B&Q :wink:

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
Turbo lifespan
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2005, 11:55:57 »
What about the de-laminating turbo hose problem - the problem where the hose collapses (sp?) down on itself as the engine sucks for air, sure it was mentioned on here not long ago !

Jim
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal