AuthorTopic: borg warner transferbox  (Read 1989 times)

Offline johnniep

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
borg warner transferbox
« on: September 04, 2005, 21:58:26 »
hi all, help needed!!
we aquired a new rangie a week ago, and it had the front diff gone, so the front prop was off and was driven in diff lock "apparenly" so after doing the diff we took it out for a test driv and tried to get it out of difflock we could only get it in either high or low,
got home and checked it and it was a borg warner 005 transfer box, ive never come acroos one of these before so we dont know wats wrong wth it, we have checked the lever and it appeard either ehteres a lever missing, or is this a viscous diff lock?, if so hoow do we get it out of diff lock??

desperate help needed please, as i need this or daily driveing and while it is winding up isnt any good
cheers all
johnnie p
rangie1, nissan 3.5tdi 4door vogue
rangie2, perkins 6cylinder 5.5litre disel 2door
rangie3, 3.5 v8 4door bobtail
rangie4, 2door engineless, probs b a special!

Offline forkarm

Attack Member
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 23:13:28 »
hiya.the borge warner does not have a diff lock lever.it uses a viscous coupling inside to engage the diff lock automatically.chances are that this has siezed and that is why the front prop was removed.
hope this helps
1991 200 TDI Range Rover.Now sold.
P38. 2.5 diesel.Should be sold.
If only i could turn back time !!.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 00:40:14 »
He' right, the B-W has no diff-lock, it's got the viscous LSD instead.  Interestingly if you look at the stubby lever once removed you can see that in the factory they just welded up the lever for difflock, otherwise it's the same pressings for the lever.

Anyway, you don't need to know that :roll: .  If the diff is fully seized it can snap CV joins or half shafts in extreme circumstances, it will wear your tyres though.  The B-W only has one ratio too, which is quite tall because it was fitted behind 3.9 and 4.0 litres, not 3.5 or VM deisel.

You can check it easily.  With one wheel lifted you should be able to undo/tighten wheelnuts, don't panic this is normal.  Underneath you should be able to turn the propshaft for that lifted wheel very slowly, VERY slowly.  You can't quite undo a propshaft bolt with a spanner, that's how tight it will be.  Another test, park on a hill and jack up the back axle, if it rolls forwards, all is well.  I don't seriously expect you to do this, be warned, if the LSD is working it will fall off the jack, unlike a 'proper' diff lock.

You can also try driving it with the front end raised on a trolley jack but I can't guarantee what will happen, mine will sometimes spin a little, sometimes not.  I don't know about the B-W unit but when Ford fitted viscous LSD to the XR4x4 the fluid thickened when heated by wheelspin and progressively locked-up.

Oh, you shouldn't have it tested on a 2-wheel rolling road, be careful when you have it MOT'd, make sure they know how much a replacement costs if they insist on putting it on the rollers!
In truth it should tollerate 1 wheel being on a slow roller but not both wheels on 1 axle, it may climb off the rollers, it may go BANG.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline johnniep

Attack Member
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 09:19:34 »
hi
thanks for all your help, just want to check some things,
rangerover blues, your right, it is coupled to a 5speed box and a nissan 3.5turbo diesel, and are you sayin that due to its thinner profile it fits in the smaller gap left?, also do you think it could just be the oil that needs changeing? if its thickenedup and is keeping it in "difflock"also, why can i find high and low range? it does engage those 2, hmmmmm, why dont i get the one with the normal bloody transfer box, how hard are there units to unseize then, if that is the case?, the front diff was removed due to te front diff being mashed,a-ha, could the diff have got like that due to the transfer box?

cheers
johnnie p
rangie1, nissan 3.5tdi 4door vogue
rangie2, perkins 6cylinder 5.5litre disel 2door
rangie3, 3.5 v8 4door bobtail
rangie4, 2door engineless, probs b a special!

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 10:49:27 »
Quote from: "johnniep"
<snip>if its thickenedup and is keeping it in "difflock"also, why can i find high and low range? <snip> could the diff have got like that due to the transfer box?

The high / low selection is a purely mechanical affair, and not much to do with the viscous coupling unit in the box, so it isn't odd that you can select them OK.

If the box is faulty and it has been run for a long time on the road, it is quite possible that diff damage could occur.. there is a lot of energy stored when the transmission winds up.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 11:07:35 »
Sorry, I seem to have confused you a little. The B-W still has high and low but there is onle one choice of box available and the high ratio is taler than most LT230 boxes.  It takes up at least as much space under the car as the original one too, I know because it's damn hard to remove the brake drum on ours, which has the B-W retro fitted very much as yours has.

It's not the oil, the viscous unit is sealed for life and oil tends to get thin, not thick.  Ours was filled with EP80/90 for over a year, with a friction additive and it did no harm at all to it, nor did it effect the viscous unit.

It's poosible the unit will operate diferently as the vehicle warms up though.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 15:46:47 »
Range rover blues you say the viscous unit was only on 3.9 upwards.  Ive two 3.5 efi's and both have the BW box.

I love the BW for off roading, its great and I would not change it for the world.  I always keep a spare as they do break but if your into your off roading alot your'll soon notice
Ashley (but everyone knows me as Ash...)

Roxanne the 88" 300tdi auto Hybrid Trayback thats broken more than its fixed
Rosie the 300 Tdi auto disco that picks the hybrid up when broken...
Daisey the trailer that sits behind Rosie and lies under Roxanne.
The sexy threesome!!!!!!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 01:47:05 »
What year were these 3.5s then.  The B-W was introduced mainly for the American market, as was the concealed door hinge body, the 3.9 and the Lucas hot-wire EFi in it's original form.   I know the hot-wire made it on to a few 3.5s for about a year and the concealed hinge was probably the first one of these upgrades to be seen in the uk but they were introduced over a relatively short space of time, in LR terms at least.

Offline muddysteve

Attack Member
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 08:29:44 »
The RR that i broke a while back was an 89 3.5efi and it had a BW box

Steve
Steve                www.lanerovers.co.uk    www.surreyoffroaders.co.uk

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 09:05:29 »
me too, both F-reg 89's

Both standard, nothing flashy buyt both had BW's on them.  One of them is not in the hybrid!

The sexy threesome!!!!!!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 12:54:11 »
Thinking about it that makes sense, the 89 I broke didn't have a gearbox when I bought it either.  So the B-W was probably introduced for the 89 MY along with concealed hinges.

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
borg warner transferbox
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 10:49:43 »
Yeah must be 89.  We have an 88 in the field and its not got a BW

Learn something new everyday on this site!  :D

The sexy threesome!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal