AuthorTopic: SJ Fuel Guage wont work  (Read 1337 times)

Knotty

SJ Fuel Guage wont work
« on: August 25, 2005, 22:53:24 »
Iv'e done a search and no one has moaned about there fuel guage not working..... IT MUST JUST BE ME. I'm on my second SJ and both have this problem..............PLEASE HELP ME....PLEASE.

Every electrical item works in this jeep but the fuel guage. The rear lights all work so it can't be a bad earth.....can it ??

Do I drop the tank to test the sender or what ?   :(

Offline winchman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SJ Fuel Guage wont work
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 17:40:47 »
Most of them dont work, try running another earth from the battery neg to good clean metal on the tank ( if you can find any)
If this dosnt make a difference maybe the Posative connection on the sender has fell or rotted off, good luck with removing the tank, took me hours to get the mounting bolts out.
=When you do remove it cut a hole in the floor to allow removal of the sender next time with out removing the tank
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Knotty

Different senders OH JOY
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 22:49:32 »
It would seem the SJ has a single connector on the sender ans this Samurai I've aquired has three connectors.

One of them, the black must be earth but the other two ?

Has anybody got an accurate circuit diagram for a UK Samurai they can e-mail me ??

Please, please, pretty please ?

Offline Foden34ke12

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SJ Fuel Guage wont work
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 16:25:00 »
I had this back when i used to have an sj. Best bet is to drop the tank off and have a look at the connections above the tank. Get the necessary bolts and replace all the bolts because it is likely that they have never been taken off in the cars life and will most likely sheer off.

A good job to do while you are at it is get a can of hammerite and paint the tank guard as this is where mud sits and rots the metal work.

When you have new bolts in it will most likely be fairly easy to get the tank on and off. Not that you will ever really want to again...

As for the connections they are in the haynes manual but I would just try them and see mate thats all I did.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal