AuthorTopic: MOT Fail On Oil Leak?  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Skippy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« on: August 25, 2005, 18:55:32 »
Has anybody else had their Landrover fail on a power steering box oil leak, or any other leak for that matter?  :shock:  

For gods sake, it's a landrover it's going to leak!?
1990 Landrover Discovery
Mods: 2" Lift, most of arches chopped out and replaced with Devon 4x4 arch extensions to accomodate 265/75/16 Grizzly Claws, hybrid Evans UK/Rimmer Brothers exhaust, 3.9 efi V8 (Soon to be 4.6 if i can get round to fitting it!!)fitted, Landy LPG system, bull Bar etc, etc........ Now also sporting a Safari snorkle, Discoparts Rock sliders with tree protection, Discoparts Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, ARB dulux Bull Bar, Evans UK full external & part internal roll cage & chequer plate........Also RPI Tornado chip.

1999 Series 2 V8 GS Disco........ The sensible One coz i aint allowed to modify it AT ALL! Couldnt resist........ it's now running a sweet TD5 Alive exhaust system which sounds great you can hear my car on the exhaust section of the TD5 Alive Web site!

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 18:57:35 »
Not recently, but yes.

Any oil leak is potentially a test failure... a lot depends on the tester's discretion.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Dr Neil

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 18:59:10 »
i would of thought it depended on how bad the leak was, whether it was getting onto the brakes or if it was affecting the way the power steering operated.
200tdi over 200kmiles
+2"lift.
Procomp Es9000 shocks
235 MT's on silver modulars
diff guards
tank guard
Paidia4x4 winch bumper.
Discoparts HD rear bumper.
Champion 10000N winch
CB and CDplayer
Safari snorkel
modified turbo actuator vac pipe pick up.
twin batteries with Paidia4x4 split charge system
roof lightbar

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 20:21:48 »
Unfortunately its a common fault on these boxes, and yes they will fail.

But you can try some additive to reduce the leak, or wipe down the box before you take it in for the mot, it may be a slow leak,

Some of the probs are from two pipes that go into the top of the steering box, they have a rubber grommet inside to seal it.

If its the bottom seal, bit more of a swine there, some can strip and be replaced, but like mine it was a unit change, not a great problem, and there are 2nd hand units available

Clean and dry the unit, swing it from lock to lock and have a look above and below for the leak, then take it from there
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline seph234

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 20:24:30 »
i got told to jet wash mine off of the box before the test then it only looked like it was a small leak and he gave me an advisory to get it done
200 tdi disco
bf goodrich muds 265/75/16 on mods
2"lift bearmach springs pro comp shocks
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled
wizard bits steering damper relocation kit
sumo track rod####sold it#

now own lc colorado 2000 x reg 30td  and loving it!!!!

Offline Alan Robertson

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 20:49:39 »
Mine has had a small leak for years. A good de-grease with Gunk or similar just before the MOT has always done the trick.

Offline The Fat Controller

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 21:42:32 »
m.o.t testers are a rule to themselves,the main rules are
1.will they get leaked on?
2.will they get dirty?
if you can reduce the chance of either of these they can be nearly human
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
BRIAN                                                              1987 Range Rover 6cyl turbo 5dr 5 speed(diesel)diesel.1988 Range Rover 3.5V8 vogue se(duck)lpg. car trailer(s c ruffy).  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/duck  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/diesel/0/264830-1121727056.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/2406/RANGE%20ROVER/DSC00079.jpg

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 22:06:41 »
mine has a leak from the input shaft and if you leave it for a while it looks really bad as the oil spreads along the chassis but i cleaned it all off with degreaser and brake cleaner the day before the mot and it went straight thru
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 09:57:11 »
My tester said to me. "Have you just topped up you power steering fluid mate, To which i was going to say No, until i saw him winking, and he said "well you must have spilt a bit on the pump"

"Oh yes i replied :lol:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:00:15 »
When a steering box leaks from the main seal it can be indicative of wear in the main bearing, so it's on it's way out.  That said it takes a long time for it to become any worse.

The rule about leaks is not an easy one to apply, then it also depends on the tester's interpretation too.  A swivel can have a slow leak and provided it isn't running onto the road or any other componenets like rubber bushes or the brakes it can be left.  The steering however is a bit more serious, no one is going to looses control of their car because the swivel lost all it's oil (unless it seized) whereas if the PAS fluid ran out it could be bad!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 13:54:10 »
I have a feeling that a leak that you would fail for is one that is likely to lead to your vehicle dripping sufficent fluid on the road to cause a danger to other road users, presumably for puddles of oil at a junction which could cause motorbikes etc to skid or fall off.

If this is right then any 'slow' leaks should be OK, if anyone wants to know for sure let me know as I know a tester and he can give me the 'official' rubbish from his book.

Tim.
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline cstokes

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 20:55:29 »
The official line on mot is that, transmission or engine oil leaks are not part of the mot unless it is affecting the operation of anouther system or component such as the braking system. ie: a crankshaft seal leak is not a fail but if it was being flung onto a front brake caliper or disc then it would be a fail.  All power steering leaks or brake fluid leaks are automatically a fail.

Offline Dr Neil

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 21:46:41 »
:-k
200tdi over 200kmiles
+2"lift.
Procomp Es9000 shocks
235 MT's on silver modulars
diff guards
tank guard
Paidia4x4 winch bumper.
Discoparts HD rear bumper.
Champion 10000N winch
CB and CDplayer
Safari snorkel
modified turbo actuator vac pipe pick up.
twin batteries with Paidia4x4 split charge system
roof lightbar

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 21:51:25 »
As I understand it, they can also refuse to test a vehicle due to oil leaks in the same way they can if it is too dirty.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Skippy

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 22:06:42 »
Cheers for that guys, it's always interesting to hear the jargon that the testers hide behind!! :twisted:

It's all sorted now, although when you add all the welding that needed doing it came to over 500 quid  :shock:

SKINT AGAIN!
1990 Landrover Discovery
Mods: 2" Lift, most of arches chopped out and replaced with Devon 4x4 arch extensions to accomodate 265/75/16 Grizzly Claws, hybrid Evans UK/Rimmer Brothers exhaust, 3.9 efi V8 (Soon to be 4.6 if i can get round to fitting it!!)fitted, Landy LPG system, bull Bar etc, etc........ Now also sporting a Safari snorkle, Discoparts Rock sliders with tree protection, Discoparts Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, ARB dulux Bull Bar, Evans UK full external & part internal roll cage & chequer plate........Also RPI Tornado chip.

1999 Series 2 V8 GS Disco........ The sensible One coz i aint allowed to modify it AT ALL! Couldnt resist........ it's now running a sweet TD5 Alive exhaust system which sounds great you can hear my car on the exhaust section of the TD5 Alive Web site!

Offline seph234

Attack Member
MOT Fail On Oil Leak?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 22:32:36 »
these land rovers are good arnt they :lol:  :lol:
200 tdi disco
bf goodrich muds 265/75/16 on mods
2"lift bearmach springs pro comp shocks
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled
wizard bits steering damper relocation kit
sumo track rod####sold it#

now own lc colorado 2000 x reg 30td  and loving it!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal