AuthorTopic: Belgium National  (Read 2600 times)

gords

Belgium National
« on: August 23, 2005, 23:12:23 »
Is it possible to do this event on your own, or is a passenger/navigator essential?

I'm booked on the "Adventure", by the way.

Offline Arightpest

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Belgium National
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 23:15:27 »
whats happend to the wife and kids :shock:

gords

Belgium National
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 23:19:37 »
Quote from: "arightpest"
whats happend to the wife and kids :shock:

Pauline isn't 100% keen on going - but will if it's really necessary. Stems from the "issues" we had on the first few days of the holiday :roll:

I offered the ride to my brother and he came up with the lame excuse of "no holiday left"! (OK, that's actually a valid reason :wink:  :lol: )

Offline Landieman

Attack Member
Belgium National
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 00:34:09 »
Hmm, tempting Gords but I wont have been at uni long, so I'll still be setteling in  :evil:

Oh well, I'll get round to going one day  :wink:
Ben, #1 Mud-Club T.A.R.T. (Token Angst Riden Teenager)

A DEMON WITH A BREAKER BAR!

Land Rovers don't leak, they mark their territory!

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Belgium National
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 01:15:04 »
Unless you can read a rally style roadbook and drive at the same time then you will need a navigator.
You see they don't give you a map of the route, it's all done with pictorial signs for the road ahead like this:

Or, you could always just follow another vehicle on the Adventure course and hope he/she can read the road book!!   :wink:

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Belgium National
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 01:21:51 »
Forgot to add:
When you get to the campsite on Friday, remember to programme it's position  as a  waypoint in your GPS, if you have one!!
Always handy if you really loose the plot with the road book!!  :D

gords

Belgium National
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 10:47:46 »
Quote from: "Budgie"
Unless you can read a rally style roadbook and drive at the same time then you will need a navigator.
You see they don't give you a map of the route, it's all done with pictorial signs for the road ahead like this[snip]

Yes, I thought that's what you got. As you say, not really possible to drive and read that :roll:

By the way, what's the camping facilities like?

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
map
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 11:10:53 »
Those (funny) signs are in fact Tulip-diagrams basically juntions etc seen from above , dead easy to follow when not driving at speed usually used with grid-references  also helpfull to have a trip meter --so yes you will need a navi.
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Belgium National
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 11:13:08 »
Camping is okay, there are grass "fingers" to camp on that are surrounded with hardcore.
There is a portaloo between each set of fingers and they are cleaned every morning.
There are showers on site, near the main arena, but I think there are only 10 showers so most people tend to go without until they get back to the ferry!!  :-$

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Belgium National
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 11:17:52 »
Gords,

If you don't have a second person, don't worry. You are welcome to tag with us, we might even be in Owl....

Alan Beale came with us last year on his own - it's still fun :-)

Maddy is a great navigator (and also puts me to shame as an offroad driver!)
--
Neil

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Belgium National
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 11:28:25 »
I found this photo of the site:

gords

Belgium National
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:39:21 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
If you don't have a second person, don't worry. You are welcome to tag with us, we might even be in Owl....

Thanks for the offer Neil ... but we've paid our money now - and I want the stickers :wink:  :lol:

Pauline knows she's coming if all else fails :lol:  

:idea: I wonder what the grandparents are doing that weekend? :D

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Belgium National
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 11:51:24 »
Er....paid your money? By Tag Along I mean - we will be there, and doing the adventure course....so you are welcome to join our rag tag group......

If you aint been before - don't try it on your own - if you get the roadbook wrong it spoils the enjoyment, especially as there are different roadbooks - so you shouldn't just tag behind "that land rover" ;-)
--
Neil

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Belgium National
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 11:54:29 »
Budgie,

That's our encampment from 2002 I think (or 2003!). You can just see Piglet's nose behind Alans silver Disco ;-)

And then there's Owens red Disco, Neil's blue one I think, and Georges green 'un ;-)
--
Neil

gords

Belgium National
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 11:57:06 »
By Tag Along I mean - we will be there, and doing the adventure course....so you are welcome to join our rag tag group.....

Ahh, I see :oops:  For some reason, I didn't expect you to be doing the "adventure" course :)  Tagging onto an experience group sounds like a good idea, thanks!

While we're on the subject (well, we are now), are we (mud clubbers) going to try and group together? When are people planning to arrive?

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Belgium National
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 12:02:17 »
Quote from: "gords"

Pauline isn't 100% keen on going - but will if it's really necessary. Stems from the "issues" we had on the first few days of the holiday

so did you ignore her directions and get lost then? or scare her half to death with your driving? :lol:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Belgium National
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 12:06:14 »
Gords,

The Adventure course is the only one that you don't have to queue up for hazards on (yawn), and also is suitable for the kids, and we like to have a good time .... no stress, no peer pressure, just a nice saunter around the greenlanes of France and Belgium :-)

Have done Extreme more times than I need to now, and the last time we basically got 1/3 of the roadbook done b4 we returned at 3am to tackle the "campsite" ;-)

With adventure at least we get to the whole course :-)
--
Neil

gords

Belgium National
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 12:13:17 »
Quote from: "beast5680"
Quote from: "gords"

Pauline isn't 100% keen on going - but will if it's really necessary. Stems from the "issues" we had on the first few days of the holiday

so did you ignore her directions and get lost then? or scare her half to death with your driving? :lol:

Neither, you cheeky monkey [-X

TomTom was doing the directions (when we weren't in a group) and it was mostly me that was scared by the 1000's of feet drops which were quite often only a foot or two away :shock:

On one particular occasion, we were on a narrow, rocky track with lots of tight bends - and a seriously large drop off the drivers side. Coming round one bend I meet a lunatic cyclist coming the other way. He seemed to be very insistant that I use the last remaining 2 feet of track, in order that he can continue his decent at madman speed.

Unfortunately, I decided against putting the wheels of my 2+ ton Discovery right on the edge, so he had to slow down ... unfortunately again, I didn't have chance (or the balls) to take my hand off the steering wheel to return the hand gesture he gave me. Shame he wasn't a mind reader though :wink:  :lol:

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Belgium National
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 12:20:06 »
we went along some deep ravines in the dales in yorkshire on hols , the drop was on her side though :lol:  and she,s not keen on heights :D
not as good as my father following a mountain track in an artic in italy, rounding one bend discovers road has slipped down the hill leaving a large hole :shock:  he had to wait for a bulldozer to push the road back up and hold it while he drove over and carried on  :shock:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Belgium National
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 19:44:31 »
Budgie,

That's our encampment from 2002 I think (or 2003!). You can just see Piglet's nose behind Alans silver Disco ;-)

And then there's Owens red Disco, Neil's blue one I think, and Georges green 'un ;-)

I think it was 2003 Neil, we were camping with the Yorkshire Off Road Club about two camps nearer the food tent!!  :D

Gord, we're catching the overnight ferry from Hull and normally get to the campsite at about 11am, returning on the Monday night ferry. I've not spoken to any of the Yorkshire lot yet but, if they are going this year, then we'll be camping with them again. What ever happens we'll be over to see you lot at some point during the the weekend.  :D

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Belgium National
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:19:33 »
I got my insurance reminder this morning by email. Bruno wants £85 by 1st September for those who have forgotten. Last year he didn't cash the cheque but held onto it and then destroyed it after the event. He always says it's only used if you have a claim to make. Don't know what he'll do this year so don't bank on the cheque not being cashed.

I'm going again this year with our local club so hopefully I'll get the opportunity to seek out you fellow mud-clubbers over the weekend. Should arrive before lunch on Friday. I reckon a beer or two maybe in order for the saturday night festivities :-)
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

gords

Belgium National
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 10:34:50 »
We've already sent our deposit cheque :)

I was planning to arrive around 2 - 3pm ... is that a bit late? I didn't think you could get in until 2pm?

It's still up in the air as to who's coming. Pauline still isn't keen, brother has to work :roll:

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Belgium National
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 11:01:44 »
Gords, last year we arrived at 4pm (due to hold ups with the sea-cat) and we found the camping area almost full. We had to squeeze our tent in between 2 others where there wasn't really room. According to those we travelled with last year, the camp site fills up earlier and earlier each year.
Mace

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

gords

Belgium National
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 11:28:23 »
Quote from: "Mace"
Gords, last year we arrived at 4pm (due to hold ups with the sea-cat) and we found the camping area almost full. We had to squeeze our tent in between 2 others where there wasn't really room. According to those we travelled with last year, the camp site fills up earlier and earlier each year.

Umm, better look at getting an earlier crossing I think!!

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Belgium National
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 12:50:19 »
It's really not that far once you're over the channel (about 90 miles from Calais if I remember correctly) but you really need to be leaving blighty before 9am, which is already 10am continental time.
Mace

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Belgium National
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 12:56:45 »
Quote from: "Mace"
 He always says it's only used if you have a claim to make.
The £85 insurance cheque is in case you damage anything of their's, or someone else's like a gate or fence during the drive, then they cash the cheque to pay the cost, it's not to cover damage to your vehicle.   :wink:

Gord, best get to the site before 12 if you want a good pitch, the 2pm is for signing in & getting your stickers. Make sure you've got the original entry sheet, with your entry number on it, otherwise you may be turned away!!  :shock:

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Belgium National
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2005, 12:50:12 »
Is there anyone else from here catching the 7pm ferry from Hull on the Thursday evening or are the rest of you going from the South Coast ports?  :D

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Belgium National
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 16:31:20 »
Not long now !!!

Who else is doing last minute panic tweeking and problem solving? One thing leads to another and my list gets longer not shorter :-)

Weathers looking good too.......whoopiieeeee
Mace

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

gords

Belgium National
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 17:07:44 »
I still don't know who (if anyone) is coming with me yet :roll:  At the moment it looks like it's me and my oldest boy - but who knows!

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Belgium National
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 19:05:22 »
lucky gits

wish i was goin, never mind next year i spose
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal