AuthorTopic: servo brakes  (Read 7978 times)

goody

servo brakes
« on: February 10, 2004, 20:49:42 »
Hi, am I right in thinking that to convert my series3 to servo brakes would involve no more than going to my spares supplier asking for a new servo/master cylinder some new brakepipe and fittings and then spending the best part of a day (maybe two) laying on my back under landy getting covered in oil. I plan to do this at the same time as converting to a prima engine so would have a feed for the servo.
Cheers.

Offline MADMAN

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
servo brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 21:57:23 »
Hi
to fit a servo you will require a complete pedal box assembly from a series vehicle with servo brakes as the none servo pedal box will not take a servo
There are two on Ebay  now!
if you go for a single circuit master cylinder make sure it has the pipe fittings with it as they can be hard to track down
if you go for a dual circuit master cylinder  you will also require a shuttle valve to shut off the front or rear circuit in the event of a failier
also will you be using the dudliegh conversion plate to fit the prima engine or making your own?
please let me know how you get on with fitting this engine!
Regards Madman
93RRC 200TDI MANUAL
235/70/16 AMAZONS ON COMPONENT RIMS

goody

servo brakes
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 00:07:52 »
Thanks Madman, Looked on ebay but didnt see any pedal boxes , is that what they were described as? I was hoping to find one of the adapters secondhand but I reckon if one comes up on e-bay it will fetch top money and I'm not really looking forward to spending the best part of £500 to get a new one plus mounts from dudleigh, there is a bloke in surrey making them a bit cheaper than dudleigh so I might try him if i've found nothing when the time comes to do it.  I'm not looking forward to telling the wife how much they are costing as I only paid £141 for the  maestro (110k on the clock)
Cheers Goody.

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
servo brakes
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 18:02:30 »
I have the complete set of bits, including swivels, housing, servo, pedal etc...

trouble is it's miles away ..

make me an offer, you know you want to ;)
--

goody

servo brakes
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 22:37:36 »
Where abouts is miles away exactly, what sort of offers are you looking at, although my swivels are knackered why would I need them to add servo brakes?
Cheers, Goody.

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
servo brakes
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 22:55:19 »
Miles away is near manchester

As for replacing the swivels you don't need to persay, however the entire kit and caboodle is off a LWB 109 and therefore has larger drums.

The swivels are in reasonably good nick I seem to recall, someone took a gas axe to the front end of a series3 that got rear ended.  I got the bits which were easiest to remove ;)

as for how much they're worth..  I have *no* idea
--

goody

servo brakes
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 20:59:11 »
Thanks, I think manchester is a little to far away unless I get really desperate when I come to do the work (when the weather warms up)
Cheers Goody.

Offline Cheggs

Attack Member
servo brakes
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 13:52:05 »
Hi,
    I got a pedal box and servo from sams4x4.co.uk, she works out cheaper for a lot of parts, and will post, usually cheaper than Ebay auctions. :wink:
1994 Discovery 300 TDi Auto 
1972 Series III w\Prima Perkins     

1965 sIIa (Project)
1991 Discovery 200 TDi (Now sold)

"I'm not  mechanically minded but, I have several hammers"

Offline Litch

Attack Member
servo brakes
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 20:56:44 »
You can just use a remote servo and retain your existing drums & master-cylinder (you will still need to rig up a vaccum supply though).

I did this to my S111 20-years ago using a S/H servo from a Rover 2000, I made a simple bracket that tucked the servo under the top of the O/S wing adjacent to the master-cylinder and made a short section of brake-pipe to connect the two together.
A couple of years ago I bought a brand-new genuine Lockheed servo for my wife's MGB and found it was the same part as I used back then. Cost from an MG parts supplier was £100+VAT.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal