AuthorTopic: Re stamping chassis number on a stolen recovered 90  (Read 1108 times)

Offline vtrdaz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re stamping chassis number on a stolen recovered 90
« on: February 10, 2004, 19:55:20 »
Hi
We recently bought a stolen recovered 90 direct from an insurance company (52 reg hardtop).
We're in the process of getting new vin plates for it (guy salmon in hand) but we where wondering how we would go about getting the chassis re-stamped to the correct vin number?(the dealers say by law we don't have to have it done and they don't seem to want to do it but we'd like it done so that everythings hunky dory)
We've been told we could do it ourselves but i'm not sure how easy it would be - i. e getting all the numbers straight and in line as i'd like it to look as neat as possible.
Cheers
Darren

Purple1

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 21:04:26 »
There is no legal requirement to have the number stamped in following a theft. If you decide to do it yourself or get someone to do it, you could be letting yourself in for a problem, unless it is done to factory standards. As we all know, 4x4s are prime target for vehicle crime. Therefore, Police tend to stop and check a large proportion of 4x4s. Imagine how much your suspicions would raise if you were a policeman and you stopped a 4x4 with a stamped in number that wasn't exactly as  it should be. I realise it is explainable, but, probably not at the roadside in the middle of the night to a suspiscious bobby just doing his job.
Just my opinion but I wouldn't bother. Just get the vin plate sorted and leave it at that.
Hope this helps

Graham

Offline vtrdaz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 21:41:14 »
thanks graham - we're of the same school of thought as you .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal