AuthorTopic: Black smoke?  (Read 8930 times)

Offline Andy.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Black smoke?
« on: August 14, 2005, 22:57:57 »
Just seen this on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-DISCOVERY-DEFENDER-FREELANDER-BLACK-SMOKE_W0QQitemZ4568818807QQcategoryZ31348QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, peoples thoughts please  :?:

It mentions about the EGR plate, will my 93 200 series have one of these  :?:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

ChrisW

Black smoke?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 23:01:36 »
I believe the 200 engines did not have EGR at all, only being introduced during 300 engine production.

Perhaps a 'question for seller' - does he sell genuine snake oil too?  :wink: (my personal opinion only of course!)

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 23:12:09 »
ROFL

8 quid for a ball bearing to wedge the valve open :-)

Clearly this genius also doesn't understand the concept of tubo-lag either... since apparently this ball bearing will remove all the effects of that too.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Black smoke?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 23:48:21 »
I just removed my EGR unit, replacing it with a £2 LR blanking plate on the manifold. Then replaced the top intercooler-inlet manifold pipes & tube with a single pipe. Job done and bit more space in the engine bay!  :wink:

Offline jnoshea

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 08:35:43 »
Quote from: "Budgie"
I just removed my EGR unit, replacing it with a £2 LR blanking plate on the manifold. Then replaced the top intercooler-inlet manifold pipes & tube with a single pipe. Job done and bit more space in the engine bay!  :wink:

Does this work? Are there any side-effects such as increased NOx in the emissions? I've alwyas thought of doing this to stop the smoke when I pull away hard from a roudabout but I've been worried that when the MOT comes around it will fail the emission on something else.  The EGR valve must have been put there for a reason.
Cheers
James

Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 Auto

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 10:30:34 »
James,

I have done this to my TD5 as well.
The main side effect is that your engine will be breathing clean air and the inlet manifold won't be getting gunged up with oily residue.
As for emissions, I don't believe that NOx is currently part of the MOT, so nothing to worry about there.
Simon
1998 Disco Series II Td5 - Not standard
1972 88" Series 3 - The project

Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
1st Overall - 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005
3rd Overall - 2007

Offline jnoshea

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 11:32:47 »
Sounds good to me.  Where do I get a blanking plate from, and what exactly needs to be done to the intercooler manifold and pipes?
Cheers
James

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 12:06:08 »
blanked off my EGR sometime ago with a home made steel plate/gasket between the valve and the manifold - it all still looks the same as it did originally.

just passsed another mot with no problems.

benefits are:

that the gunge in the inlet manifold seems to be disppearing

it used to blue-ish smoke if let on idle for ages then revved  - this has stopped

it now performs beter at low revs , especially when cold.

as for the nox,co2  - dunno.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Black smoke?
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 12:31:50 »
Quote from: "jnoshea"
Sounds good to me.  Where do I get a blanking plate from, and what exactly needs to be done to the intercooler manifold and pipes?

The blanking plate is LR Part No ERR4698 and the gasket is ERR7173.
I got a set of silicon hoses from Alli-Sport so that made the job easier, other than that then you could get another long rubber pipe for the intercooler and cut the metel pipe so you retain the bend in it but loose the "T" section to the EGR valve.

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 12:33:36 »
my small egr hose and the wiring is still on there
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline jnoshea

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 14:13:00 »
A bit of scouting around on the web and it seems that the part number for the intercooler to manifold hose that is needed when taking the EGR out is ESR2309.  Trouble is, can't find somewhere that stocks all three bits to make up one order.
Cheers
James

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 18:41:33 »
James,

Just to add a bit of information.....   The EGR valve mods won't have a huge effect on black smoke when you are accelerating hard off something like a roundabout.

This is (usually) a symptom of turbo lag...    

On a diesel engine with all mechanical control like the 200 and most 300 tdi engines, the turbo is operated by the exhaust gas in the exhaust manifold.  When you put your foot down hard, the injection pump throws a load more fuel into the system to make the engine go faster...   because it is powered from the exhaust, and as such the boost is related to the engine revs, the turbo doesn't work any harder until the engine spins faster... so there is a slight delay in the boost increase as the engine comes up to speed.  This is turbo lag...  you often hear people talking about the turbo 'kicking-in'...  this is when the boost pressure gets up enough to help the engine run faster and the power spirals upwards.

Now.. in the time between you hitting the pedal, and the turbo spinning up, there is an excess of fuel in the system...  not all of this fuel is burnt in the cylinders because there isn't sufficient air from the inlet system to match the increased amount.... this shows up as a sooty cloud of smoke from the exhaust.

Hope that makes some sense !

There are some funky ways to negate turbo lag.. but they are all quite expensive ;-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

colintandy

black smoke
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 22:07:04 »
and just to add to the last
the black smoke  can be controled in the fuel pump 200tdi at top of pump if you prize open the cap with a small screwdriver you will see a lock nut holding a screewable thread if you unlock and screw thread in clockwise this will increase/decrease smoke or unburnt fuel as the end of the thread is what the diaphram pushes up and down on under the 4 bolts on the top
i have a full bore exhaust and uprated intercooler and if you have a play around a bit with your fuel pump just remeber to mark things so you can revert to original settings
so inside fuel pump is a spring a washer and a diapham on the top is a little punch mark this shows basically the position of the needle mine was set at about 12 oclock standing from the wing is now after much playing about and trying differnt things is set at about 2 oclock and i have turned my smoke right down and have got rid of the washer altogether as this restricts the amount of fuel flow my top end is about 120 at moment and gets to 60 very fast with a climb from 80-95 on a very steep motorway hill passing every think result is empty tank quicker but if driven under normal cicumtances she very good but alot fun with extra touqe and power ofroading i get fuel burning when neede and not alot smoke hope this helps regards colin

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Black smoke?
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 22:59:16 »
This link will come in handy for explaining things if you want to play with the injector pump.  :wink:

Offline jnoshea

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 08:44:59 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
James,

Just to add a bit of information.....   The EGR valve mods won't have a huge effect on black smoke when you are accelerating hard off something like a roundabout.

This is (usually) a symptom of turbo lag...    

On a diesel engine with all mechanical control like the 200 and most 300 tdi engines, the turbo is operated by the exhaust gas in the exhaust manifold.  When you put your foot down hard, the injection pump throws a load more fuel into the system to make the engine go faster...   because it is powered from the exhaust, and as such the boost is related to the engine revs, the turbo doesn't work any harder until the engine spins faster... so there is a slight delay in the boost increase as the engine comes up to speed.  This is turbo lag...  you often hear people talking about the turbo 'kicking-in'...  this is when the boost pressure gets up enough to help the engine run faster and the power spirals upwards.

Now.. in the time between you hitting the pedal, and the turbo spinning up, there is an excess of fuel in the system...  not all of this fuel is burnt in the cylinders because there isn't sufficient air from the inlet system to match the increased amount.... this shows up as a sooty cloud of smoke from the exhaust.

Hope that makes some sense !

There are some funky ways to negate turbo lag.. but they are all quite expensive ;-)

Thanks Tim, that makes perfect sense to me.  Also explains why the car only smokes under exactly the conditions that you described.  The rest of the time its fine after the initial startup.  What causes the (smaller) plume of smoke when I first turn the engine over? Is it also unburnt diesel or is it oil?
Cheers
James

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 08:48:03 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"

So blowing down the snorkel doesn't work then ?

well, there goes my reasoning for sticking my head out of the window :D
--

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 09:09:43 »
Thanks Tim, that makes perfect sense to me.  Also explains why the car only smokes under exactly the conditions that you described.  The rest of the time its fine after the initial startup.  What causes the (smaller) plume of smoke when I first turn the engine over? Is it also unburnt diesel or is it oil?

Depends on the colour.  If it is black, then it's pretty much the same thing... the engine turns with fuel going in and it doesn't all spark up straight away..

If it is blue, then it is likely a seal or ring just weeping a bit but as long as it all goes away, then it's not really anything to worry about.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 09:11:30 »
Quote from: "datalas"
So blowing down the snorkel doesn't work then ?
well, there goes my reasoning for sticking my head out of the window :D

Well... I was thinking more along the lines of multi-turbos or variable-geometry turbos.....   but I see an experiment coming on :-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline simondarby

Attack Member
    • South Devon
Black smoke?
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 14:02:04 »
I have to say that since I had the Allisport intercooler fitted and the EGR removed, the car has been smoky.  Exactly as described earlier under turbo lag.  I have wicked back the smoke screw 2.5 turns which has improved this slightly.  I may turn it back a little further though I am not sure this will improve things too much.  It passed the MOT in July with no trouble so I suppose I shouldn't worry too much, though I hate pumping out clouds of smoke...

My centre silencer has started to rattle so I am looking to replace with a straight through system (maybe stainless).  I am going to the LRO show in Malvern at the end of August so there maybe a special deal to be had then (I hope!)
1994 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130

Offline MZ6666

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 23:03:46 »
DOES A NON-CAT EXHAUST NOT FAIL THE MOT IF YOUR VEHICLES AGE REQUIRES A CAT?
'DONK' =1993 200 Tdi BEAST- 2"ish BRITPART/PRO-COMP LIFT,MODULARS/BFG MUDS ,K&N FILTER,HUGE INTERCOOLER,SNORKEL/+BREATHERS,MILEMAKER HYDRAULIC WINCH ON A DISCOPARTS BUMPER,STEERING/TANK/DIFF GUARDS,MIDLAND 98 CB,FRONT/REAR ENDS a'lA MAD MAX
'BURBLE' - 1995 DISCOVERY 3.9 V8 ES LPG
3" PRO COMP, 265/75's BF GOODRICH,TDS GOLDFISH WINCH,WINCH BUMPER, TANK/ DIFF  GUARDS, FLEXI ARCHES,CHERRY BOMB!! more to come !!   
'BERTA' - 1995 DISCO 300tdi ES - standard, My Wife's
'VRUM' - SUZUKI 1200 BANDIT -modded ;-)

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Black smoke?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 08:13:34 »
Quote from: "MZ6666"

Yes, but the likes of Rimmer Bros make a stainless sports system for the 300 TDi than goes from the Cat back so the cat remains in the system.

The likes of my 1995 300 TDi had a cat fitted but is not of an age where it is required for the MOT on a diesel so when it needed replacing I had the non-cat downpipe fitted. Much cheaper option  :D

Offline jnoshea

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 08:16:24 »
Quote from: "Budgie"
Quote from: "MZ6666"

Yes, but the likes of Rimmer Bros make a stainless sports system for the 300 TDi than goes from the Cat back so the cat remains in the system.

The likes of my 1995 300 TDi had a cat fitted but is not of an age where it is required for the MOT on a diesel so when it needed replacing I had the non-cat downpipe fitted. Much cheaper option  :D

That's worth knowing.  Does that apply to all of 1995 (mine's an M) ?
Cheers
James

Offline simondarby

Attack Member
    • South Devon
Black smoke?
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 09:01:17 »
My 95 300tdi which originally had a cat fitted has now passed 2 MOTs without one.  As long as the fuel pump is set right you shouldn't have any problems...

My cat is still in the loft should I ever need it in the future.

I am after a replacement centre section with no silencer at the moment.  Normally the middle and rear section are sold as one part with 2 silencers, but I just want to remove the centre box so I end up with a "sports" exhaust system.

Si
1994 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN130

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Black smoke?
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2005, 15:20:51 »

That's worth knowing.  Does that apply to all of 1995 (mine's an M) ?
I don't know the exact date that the requirement came in, best speak to your local MOT chap and see if he knows but I think it was mid 1995 or something.  :?

Offline jnoshea

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 15:35:04 »
August 1995 it seems.
Cheers
James

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Black smoke?
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 18:39:17 »
That would make sence, N reg onwards then.  :?

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Black smoke?
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 18:40:46 »
AFAIK the "cat" on a 300tdi isnt actually a cat,its just a particle collector which catchs the larger particles of soot,seen a few now that have started smoking really bad & its been that that has been choked solid,fit a new down pipe without the collector & the motor goes fine again
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Horness

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 22:50:18 »

My 1998 TDi has just gone through it's 2nd MOT without problem and without a CAT fitted.  Emissions were fine too.

The exhaust on my Disco is made up of a Defender down pipe (no flexible hose to rot), and no CAT.  It costs about £130 front to back, fitted!

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2005, 23:05:58 »
Often oil in the turbo , a little normally get past the seal when its been stood. The reason why the turbo doesn' repond to the increase in fueling is that it isn' exhaust gas that makes it spin. THe turbo spins as a result of heat,thats why it lags more when the engine is clock cold.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Black smoke?
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2005, 23:16:24 »
Quote from: "Bulli"
The reason why the turbo doesn' repond to the increase in fueling is that it isn' exhaust gas that makes it spin. THe turbo spins as a result of heat,thats why it lags more when the engine is clock cold.

:?    Can you explain that in a bit more detail ?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal