AuthorTopic: Vauxhall Frontera Sport  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Barry Scott

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« on: July 18, 2005, 00:15:30 »
Anyone know where I can find some information on Vauxhall Frontera's relating to off roading.  I am after information regarding anything I need to do with regard to preparation, water proofing and things to look out for.  Also after information regarding maximum angles etc.

Any help will be appreciated.
Barry

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 01:36:57 »
I'll resist the temptation to be sarcastic and advise that you are likely to encounter the same sort of probelms that we all do.  If you are wanting to wade then you will have to ensure that water cannot ingress any of the mechanicals, or the interior if you don't want it damaged, and that none of the engine's electrics will get drowned.  I recomend Tuppaware containers sealed with silicone for any vulnerable electronic boxs.

I'm surprised the basics are not covered by your owner's manual, like approach angle, rollover angle, wading depth etc,  or is it missing?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline iianorthants

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 07:22:08 »
Keep any eye on rad clogging up, my friends used to start getting on the warm side after any mud runs but a quick clean of rad with garden sprayer did the job.

not sure what tyre places are down there, but first thing to get if you can is a spare set of wheels with bigger tyres on. A good set of tyres will get you most places, and going larger  gives you more ground clearance and stops a lot of the exhaust scrapping

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 10:44:46 »
I might stick to the dry areas for now then :D
Barry

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 11:13:13 »
Wading can depend on what engine you have (petrol or diesel), diesel engines have less electrics to worry about, but whichever you have you need to ideally keep your exhaust out of the water (you can create enough pressure for it to breathe by keeping the revs up - but for now whilst your learning just keep it out), but the most important is the air intake, you will see lots of vehicles on here have raised 'snorkel' intakes to allow them to go deeper, have a look under your bonnet and see where it sucks in air, and that is your maximum depth.

When you've found all this out have a look at www.wetroads.co.uk

Your manual if you are lucky will tell you about angles, all the 4x4 manufactures manuals do, just hoping that yours is not too car orientated (like the other vauxhall manuals would be).

If you don't have one you can download one from the vauxhall website, I did this when my neice recently bought a corsa, I think I had to register but that was no hassle.

Good luck!

Tim.
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 11:28:15 »
Thanks for the information, I will try the site as I did not receive a manual.

I have joined GLASS and am just waiting for my details to be passed to Way Finder so I can join there.  I have Memory-Map software so can export the routes into it, which will be handy.

I will go easy for awhile, my friends cousin has a Landcruiser and wants to get involved so I will make sure I go with him and a tow rope, just in case.
Barry

gords

Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 12:31:22 »
You should also consider what recovery points you have. The standard "towing eye" might be OK for the easy recovery, but is unlikely to be strong enough to suport a pull from a seriously stuck position.

Unfortunately, it can be quite easy to get very stuck :wink:

I assume you've seen http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk?

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 12:47:30 »
gords, I had looked there but could not find a forum.  There is some information on there but I can not find what I am looking for.
Barry

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 12:52:36 »
Isn't the (American import) the Isuzu Rodeo the same, barring engines & trim levels?

Wasn't it imported into Australia as well??

You might be able to search around their sites?
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline TimM

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 13:13:02 »
Quote from: "Barry Scott"

I will make sure I go with him and a tow rope, just in case.

As Gords said you need to check your recovery points are good enough, also if this is your first 'large vehicle' check your tow-rope is good enough also, the ones for cars will break easily is you are tring to do an off-road recovery.

I can let you know some good places to get hold of them but I won't bore you (yet!) incase the one you have is good enough.

Tim.
Tim
2009 Range Rover TDV8

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 13:30:18 »
Quote from: "TimothyM"
Quote from: "Barry Scott"

I will make sure I go with him and a tow rope, just in case.

As Gords said you need to check your recovery points are good enough, also if this is your first 'large vehicle' check your tow-rope is good enough also, the ones for cars will break easily is you are tring to do an off-road recovery.

I can let you know some good places to get hold of them but I won't bore you (yet!) incase the one you have is good enough.

Tim.

Please do, I do not have a tow rope yet.  :?
Barry

Offline TimM

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 14:31:04 »
OK,

To start you off try this, this is the one that I use:

http://www.firstfouroffroad.co.uk/towing.htm

I use the 12Tonne Nylon rope, it is better wearing than the poly ropes and gives you a little stretch incase you do a snatch recovery, at 12 Tonnes you won't break it (or shouldn't!) and you are much better to have more potential and not use it than less and wish you had.

This rope comes with a big shackle to attach it to a vehicle, but as has been mentioned before make sure you connect it to a suitable point.

I would avoid the KERR ropes as you are much more likely to break something like say a tow hitch which will then become a projectile aimed at the other vehicle (like it was on a big elastic band) - just my own preference, others may disagree.

This should be a good starting suggestion, but wait a while as you may get some more advice or suggestions.

As I have said in other posts to you, you are better going with another vehicle, but if you can't recover each other then it may be a waste.

Tim.
Tim
2009 Range Rover TDV8

Offline TimM

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 14:33:54 »
When you look at that website, or indeed any others that are suggested, you will probably be shocked by the prices compared to say a 'halfords' car tow rope, but just think of how heavy your vehicle is and/or how heavy the vehicle may be that you are recovering.

You are better to spend more on one that will do the job than regret spending less on one that breaks and leaves you or your friend stuck.

Tim  :wink:
Tim
2009 Range Rover TDV8

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 18:13:02 »
Thank you for the information Tim, the recovery kit looks ok and I'll probably go for that.  Gonna look for somewhere to attach the shackles.
Barry

Offline TimM

Attack Member
Vauxhall Frontera Sport
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 09:09:25 »
Just be careful what you are attaching them too, I don't know whats under a Frontera, but under my Discovery I have 'lashing down eyes' that look ideal, but are not up to the job, so we all fit jate rings instead.

Tim
Tim
2009 Range Rover TDV8

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal