AuthorTopic: 2 Wheel/Steering Problems  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Mickle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2 Wheel/Steering Problems
« on: July 12, 2005, 00:01:29 »
I've got a 1990 Land Rover 90 with a few problems, just thought I could get some advice here.

1).  Both rear wheels have sideways (knocking) movement if that makes sense.  With the vehicle stationary I can wobble the wheels in the direction they aren't suppose to travel.  Is this likely to be wheel bearings?  If so, inner or outer or both and what are the part no's?

2).  Steering has become 'notchy' in the past week.  Best way to describe it is that it's like turning a cog, it goes easy-hard-easy-hard like teeth are engaging and disengaging.  It does have the 6 bolt PAS box.  I have noticed the steering box is leaking abit out the bottom but the fluid level is ok.  Is this likely to be the joints or the steering box?

Thankyou in advance....

Mike

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 00:11:09 »
Wheel bearings are the most likely cause based on that description.

You ought to change inner and outer really, especially if you don't know their history.

Part number here : https://www.land-rover-parts-shop.com/shop/en/browse/Defender+90/6/0/17/61/168

Before you do too much else with the steering, check the fluid level and take the steering damper off and check it.  Notchy steering can often be caused by something as simple as a sticking damper.

Next check is to disconnect the drag link and see if the notchiness is in the box or the wheels themselves.  Notchiness in the wheels can be caused by worn swivel pins and bearings.

Hope that helps.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mickle

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 11:16:42 »
Cheers Tim

That gives me a few things to look at, will give it a go

Mike

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 13:52:30 »
On the steering, before you take anything off, get some oil, like 3-in-1, and give the two U/J's on the steering arm that goes from the bulkhead to the steering box a good soaking.
The notching could be a dry joint in one of these and you'll be able to tell almost immediatly if this is the problem.

With the rear wheels, just jack one at a time and grab the wheel at the 12 & 6 o'clock positions and try to move it, then do the same at 3 & 9 o'clock. If you feel movement then it's your bearings. If you don't feel movement then it could be the A-frame ball joint on top of the rear axle or the bushes that connect the A-frame to the chassis.  

Let us know how you get on.  :wink:

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 22:53:42 »
Quote from: "Budgie"
On the steering, before you take anything off, get some oil, like 3-in-1, and give the two U/J's on the steering arm that goes from the bulkhead to the steering box a good soaking.
The notching could be a dry joint in one of these and you'll be able to tell almost immediatly if this is the problem.

quote]

This one was what my mate had with his rrc, apart from a leaky steering box as well, the one of the u/j's had locked completely and was spring round on the bush rather than the joint
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 23:56:41 »
It is quite a common problem, I've had it on the Disco and the Rangie, I thought I may have to replace both U/Js on the Rangie but they are fine now and I just give them a little oil from time to time!  :D

These are the little problems if your not quite sure what I'm on about Mike:- https://www.land-rover-parts-shop.com/shop/en/browse/Defender+90/2/1992/19/73/232

Offline Mickle

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 17:28:21 »
Am planning to take a look at the weekend.  Is that shop a good place for parts?  I've been using www.paddockspares.com but if there is a cheaper shop I'll use it?

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 17:53:14 »
Everyone seems to have their favourite supplier. I have used several and never found any that offer poor service. Paddocks prices are good, service is fine, never had a problem with them.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 21:09:58 »
Quote from: "Mickle"
Is that shop a good place for parts?  I've been using www.paddockspares.com but if there is a cheaper shop I'll use it?

I'll let you know when my parts arrive.  :wink:
You need to look around and see what is cheapest. However, sometimes cheapest ain't always best!

The main ones I use is Paddock, John Croddock, DLS & M&M 4x4 it just depends on what I need.   :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal