AuthorTopic: a bit of advice needed  (Read 1327 times)

Offline rokcrawlin

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
a bit of advice needed
« on: July 11, 2005, 18:56:56 »
I have never resprayed a vehicle, but would like to try to do it with a spray gun rather than the roller, but i would like to know which is easier to spray A. synthetic paint or B  celulose paint and what should I prime the vehicle with (its a Landie)
everything in the path of life becomes clear when you get the wipers working .....................mmmmm then theres the washer bottle motor DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Offline fram

Attack Member
a bit of advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 19:14:00 »
After many years of living with someone who had their own spray shop I would reccommend going for celly. Synthetic sets like rock and is harder to rub down if you make mistakes, so I've been told. Just keep each coat nice and light. I presume you will use a one coat, not a base coat and lacquer (spelling).
Just one thing to remember, if your vehicle was originaly painted in celulose and you decide to go for synthetic, there could be a reaction between the two paints and either cause bubbling or a rather nice effect similar to the "crackle" finnish you can do on woodwork, but I think you can get a primer to stop this.
If in doubt pop the vehicle along to your local paint factors and ask their advice.
I've masked up and preped many a vehicle for spraying in the past, so if you need any advice on that side of things I'll be glad to help
Katie, Green 200tdi Disco

Offline Littledan

Attack Member
a bit of advice needed
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 22:54:24 »
i would spray, im always sprayin and it is realli easy like farm said keep the coats nice and light and try not to stand too close or it will be thicker in places :D
[size=9]Dan[/size]

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
a bit of advice needed
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 00:32:02 »
What car is it, what's it worth, what's it for?  How good do you want it to look?

Straight out of the gun you can get a nice shine with synthetics and most are water based so you won't kill yourself.  If you want a nice shiny MGB then use a synthetic primer and 3 to 7 coats of celly top coat, depending on how good you are.  You can then rub it down with wax every sunday untill you've gone through the paint.  If you want a good finish first time to ignore for a few years thereafter, go for synthetic.

For metallics I use 1k base and 1k laquer because I don't want to die, 2k is bad stuff but it shines like the proverbial new pin if done right.

Celly is easier to blend into but is prone to fading and is pourous so needs to be waxed regularly to protect the metal underneath.

So it's horses for courses.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal