AuthorTopic: New engine and gearbox. Is it possible?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline ian_s

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
New engine and gearbox. Is it possible?
« on: July 04, 2005, 21:01:32 »
Because of a recurring injury in my left leg, i want to change the gearbox in my series 3 to an auto, and in the process, probably fit a bigger engine.

i have considered fitting the whole engine/gearbox/transferbox out of a rangerover/discovery, but iirc, that would be a lot longer than the current setup, and would need a lot of modification to the body work, which i dont really want to do.

can anyone suggest an auto box that would go in without too many changes? and if that bolts straight onto a v8, all the better  :twisted:

What i am really hoping for, is a conversion kit to fit an auto box to the series 3 transfer box. and then i'll make the engine fit infront of that somehow.
I've tried google, but i cant seem to find anything about converting a series to automatic

Thanks
Ian
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline Stormin

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 21:12:35 »
Some years back, I met a chap with an auto box fitted into a S111.  It also had a 3ltr Ford V6 engine.  What the box was I don't know, but I know a man who most likely will.  I'll give him a ring and try and find out.  May take a few days though.
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
SJ 410 (Rolled and now a projet)
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 10:58:48 »
There have been a few articles about fitting an auto to a defender, which has a shorter box.  It's a bit of a mix n match process though.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 13:38:06 »
Land rover the original kit car, with a welder and thought almost anything is possible :wink:

I know also there are automatic conversions but whether you would have 4wd is another matter, if its box like the rangy one yes

But trial and error, check on some of the other forums, someone may   be able to point you in the right direction
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline suggs

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 14:26:06 »
a Jag box will fit, not sure what model box, but its short thats why its usable in a series, i have seen one in a S2a mated to a Rover V8
a partner at Grawall autos in Abridge Essex owns it, there Landrover experts...
H
modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 11:29:28 »
i definately want to keep 4wd, so any conversion will have to bolt onto the transfer box somehow. apparently ashcroft transmissions used to do this conversion, but i rang them and they dont do it anymore, and dont know anyone who does.
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 20:28:45 »
Ashcroft also did an adapter to join the ford C3 Auto box to the L/R transfer box( 2.8 & 3.0 Granadas etc) There was one on ebay c/w transfer box recently - made all of 20 quid!  I was tempted myself, but I've  already got an adapter ring for Ford engine - Series box, and if the Turbo is a washout I might try a Zetec.
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal