AuthorTopic: Land Rover Owner -Tough Choice article Defender vs Santana  (Read 17136 times)

tenpolequint

Before I had even looked at the article just reading the front cover I knew the magazine would blow the horns for the defender, mark the Santana one star/point below the defender on small issues and if the article was realistic enough the Series 3 would come in last. As with all car test of this sort you cant take their decision as the one you would make.
Before anyone starts on me I am not a Santana enthusiast this article was my first look at what it is about. I do not think the article was bad at all in fact the opposite it was very good. The only point I am making is how it would be difficult for a Land rover magazine to say their beloved machine is not best.  Oddly enough I saw a  in the flesh for the first time today. My own choice would be the Defender because I am a Land rover fan and love the looks. The front of the Santana could do with customization. But I do think it is a great machine, it is Landrover based after all. It should be a serious contender for commercial use with its lower price.

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Land Rover Owner -Tough Choice article Defender vs Santana
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 12:29:29 »
I've not read the article but I know that in the past Santana have taken the basic LR design and improved on it.  Things like the spare wheel mounting./rear door issue and the gearboxs, plus the split screen/single screen.  Has to be said though, it fell out of the ugly tree this time.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 14:55:05 »
The problem with the magazine is that when the Santana has something in its favour (like the interior, which is better), they find some reason to mark it down.  So I agree it was on a hide to nothing really.  It come across as if they knew the outcome at the start and marked accordingly.

So the Land Rover is better because it has modern Traction Control, which is electronic and complicated, whereas the Santana is worse for having a modern interior, which is "plasticky".

If I were in the market for that type of vehicle I'd seriously consider it on the basis of the ones I've seen.  The articulation of the pair o' [bauble] is most impressive.

I think the low depreciation of the Defender is the Santana's Achilles' Heel.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 14:56:00 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Has to be said though, it fell out of the ugly tree this time.

But apart from the grille, it looks just like a Defender!
David French
Tree-hugging communist
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 15:01:23 »
That's enough though for me, it just looks wrong somehow.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 16:22:05 »
Having looked at the santana there are bits which concern me, there are a number of design "features" which will make it blooming hard to repair in years to come (take a gander under the front wings for example) and a variety of other concerns, principly with parts and support etc...

coupled with the fact, with the headlights, grill, silly plastic bits on the wings and roof line, it looks like a series three that someone took to chav's r us to turn it into a 110alike..

all IMHO of course.
--

tenpolequint

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 16:53:32 »
All valid points. The link for Satana Motors Sa.http://www.santana-motor.com/SantanaMotor/index.html

But as for the magazine article cussing the Satana vehicle for having more comfortable seats!! No I want back ache after long journeys. :(stoopid):

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 18:14:02 »
Now imagine that the PS10 had a Land Rover badge on it, and the Defender was made by Santana.  What do you think the results would have been?

I'm sure they'd have found that the Defender wobbled about too much on its coils, and that its electronic Traction Control was no replacement for a decent drivetrain, and that its TD5 engine was weak at low revs.

Then they'd have praised the PS10 for its dependable, proven suspension, greater comfort, better cab layout etc.

I know *all* the Land Rover mags suck up to Land Rover, because they depend on LR's goodwill, but LRO seem to be worse than most - check out how many times they namecheck Roger Crathorne!
David French
Tree-hugging communist

tenpolequint

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 18:48:35 »
I agree if the PS-10 or whatever had a landrover badge and the Defender a Santana badge....

But it would still be ugly and I would go for a Santana defender 90.

Offline rokcrawlin

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 19:14:31 »
Quote from: "tenpolequint"
I agree if the PS-10 or whatever had a landrover badge and the Defender a Santana badge....

no one has actually looked at the fact it is very repairable in low tech countries and landrover are making great strides away from low tech and leaving a vast gaping hole in the market which santana are now filling, so in reality are actually copycating landrovers early years keep it simple and make it last..............it may be ugly but it is effective dont you think???????????????????????????????????????????
everything in the path of life becomes clear when you get the wipers working .....................mmmmm then theres the washer bottle motor DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 19:17:35 »
Quote from: "rokcrawlin"

no one has actually looked at the fact it is very repairable in low tech countries and landrover are making great strides away from low tech and leaving a vast gaping hole in the market which santana are now filling, so in reality are actually copycating landrovers early years keep it simple and make it last..............it may be ugly but it is effective dont you think???????????????????????????????????????????

agree completely

one of the main attractions of the defender is that it is easy to fix and maintain.  

I ll bet that the next generation defender wont be, so the santana will be there to fill that niche.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline rokcrawlin

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 19:23:33 »
Quote from: "davidlandy"
Quote from: "rokcrawlin"

agree completely

one of the main attractions of the defender is that it is easy to fix and maintain.  

I ll bet that the next generation defender wont be, so the santana will be there to fill that niche.

Ican remember when haynes manuals used to tell you how to do a complete rebuild on a motor now they tell you how to drive it to a main dealer lol
everything in the path of life becomes clear when you get the wipers working .....................mmmmm then theres the washer bottle motor DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Offline discodaz

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 20:52:23 »
First off I reckon that anyone who uses a Defender commercially, could be better off with the Santana due to the fact that if you run a Defender or Santana into the ground they are probably going to be worth just as much as each other when the time trade in comes, so the Defender will cost more than the Santana to replace, Secondly L-R will price them selves out of the market, leaving Santana waiting in the wings, they've already done it with the new Disco, I know of a few people who can't afford the step up from 3 year old Td5 to a Disco 3 ( one person has had anew Disco every 3 years, from 1990 on & has left L-R behind)
So Land Rover can continue sucking up to yuppies, others will steal sales
doesn't make sense to me

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 21:06:46 »
It's simply because they make money out of yuppies, not enthusiasts.  They have to go where the money is, and it's basically not with us not, it's with company car owners, managers and directors.
David French
Tree-hugging communist

Offline discodaz

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 21:22:50 »
But my point being that if people who buy these things get a nasty shock
when they come to trade in, they'll go else where & it's Land-Rover that loses another customer, other companies win a new customer, people wont be ripped off.
Also was discussing what a friend thought of his new Freelander at the weekend, this guy was saying that when he went to collect it, a Farmer was at the sales desk enquiring about a new Defender, the salesman couldn't be bothered to get of his backside to see what the Farmer wanted, bet he's got a jap doublecab now.

Offline Dave

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2005, 21:23:23 »
The standard defender for me looks the biz, looks the best :D even better with out that plastic thing on the front.
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1993    K333 MUD
 Disco TDI 1994
 90  N/A soon to be TDI 1993
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

tenpolequint

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 16:28:48 »
Another point. ETC is standard on XS models but is an option on others. One of the major factors with the test comparrision was the LRO journalists kept on plusing the Defender because it has this feature. What if the Santanna chosen had ETC fitted there would not be anything in it other than the Santanna is more comfortable and spacious but looks ugly.

Offline dimoven

Attack Member
santana-defender
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 16:53:20 »
As i chug along in my pre ford /mass platform, landrover im comforted by the fact  that whatever  happens viz maintanance the global corps dont have me by the balls.
Donn

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 17:46:30 »
One point to the Defender though is that because the Santana has moved the middle row of seats backwards, so you can get somebody with actual real legs sitting in them without intense pain, they lose a couple of seats in the back, by my reckoning.  I think Santana call the PS10 a 7 seater, whereas the 110 CSW is a 9 or 11 seater, depending on how optimistic you are.

I didn't realise that TC was an option on Defenders, I thought it was standard - you're right that this would make a big difference.  Not a very level playing field then!
David French
Tree-hugging communist

Offline bovaboy

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 19:52:02 »
And of course the Santana has a 2.8 turbodiesel, which LRO admitted was the better engine (of a fashion) which I would be interested to drive to see the difference. Are those leaf springs really as good as coils though?
If only I had mud Terrains........

Offline MuddyMary

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2005, 09:40:34 »
Not very good with technical stuff and will probably get shouted down here but I quite like the Santana, well the one I saw at Eastnor anyway :shock:

I would have thought that being Land Rover based it should be a pretty good vehicle and lets be honest, everything has down points as well as plus  :wink:

Offline Sider

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 19:26:56 »
Anybody mentioned that Santana used to hold the franchise to build L/Rs in Spain, hence the similarities?

I wouldn't like to compare it to the Defender, since I have no experience with it, but having tried both 88s (original LR and Santana), it wouldn't surprise me if the PS-10 was a mean machine.
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline Sider

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2005, 19:30:04 »
Oh, forgot to mention, the Santana has beaten LR and Nissan to supply the next light 4x4 to the Spanish Army(that comes from friends still in the service) and some other countries are testing it, with positive feedbacks (this bit is from santana's website.
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 00:44:16 »
I hope the Santana goes quicker than the web site any slower and LR might just win. Is this the vehicle that Land rover should be making or is ford pushing it in the wrong way unfortunately we will have to wait and see? Sink or swim profit or losses don’t you just love the Americans and sod the heritage. :(

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 09:41:34 »
The Defender has to win, but I must take my hat off to the Santana, if, for nothing else, making it onto the cover of a dedicated Land Rover magazine.

Tim.  8)

P.S. arightpest, if their website is too slow for you, you can borrow my copy if you like.
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 00:03:53 »
Hello TimothyM

were are you i am in forest town?

Arightpest

Mick

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 09:18:21 »
arightpest,

Seen your PM and sent you one back.

Tim.
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 22:52:11 »
I looked at a Santana Station Wagon at Masham Steam Rally.
And, yes, it does look a bit odd in comparison to the ubiquitous Defender.
It gains the upper hand( or so it appears) in chassis protection, as that paint looks far tougher (& longer lasting) than a Defender.
The roof is a one-piece moulding - leak resistant??

Internally, the dash is strange to our eyes, again (psychologically) we don't expect it.

A lack of front seat-boxes seem strange as well, the rear seat is further back & actually supports you (unlike the individuals of the 12-seater 110's)

I'm not too sure about the rear cross-member & the lights being in the firing line for trailer hitches & Walls.

Would I buy one?
Head says; 'Yes'
Heart says; 'It's not a (true) Land Rover (but, at least it's not French :lol: )
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 23:10:23 »
:D I was looking at one at Billing. And i quite like it.. ok its leaf sprung ( which could be moddyfied ), but it has a good reliable deisal unit and build quality looked better than some new Defenders ive seen knocking around.
If i was buying ide go for a Santanna, good cheap work horse i think.
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

Offline rokcrawlin

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 08:53:09 »
Quote from: "muky-kid."
:D I was looking at one at Billing. And i quite like it.. ok its leaf sprung ( which could be moddyfied ), but it has a good reliable deisal unit and build quality looked better than some new Defenders ive seen knocking around.
If i was buying ide go for a Santanna, good cheap work horse i think.

how long will it be before someone makes a coilsprung chassis for it??????????????????

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal