AuthorTopic: Wrote to my MP about the alliance against urban 4x4s  (Read 495 times)

Offline jnoshea

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wrote to my MP about the alliance against urban 4x4s
« on: May 26, 2005, 08:41:20 »
Hi all, I went to the webstie of the alliance against urban 4x4s the other day to find out what they do (quite like the T-shirt in a perverted kind of way :lol: ) anyway, I found that they were encouraging their members to write to their MPs through http://www.writetothem.com to get 4x4s banned in urban areas. So I wrote to mine to very politely let him know that the vast majority of 4x4 drivers are not wasteful and inconsiderate as the alliance tries to claim and highlighted all the benefits of my Discovery and how I use it responsibly in the countryside even though it lives for the rest of the time outside my house in Nottingham.  After all, it's the MPs that are going to make future decisions on these things so the more positive and friendly letters they get from us the better. Apologies if you guys have already done this, but I just wanted to point out how easy it is to do through the above website (don't click on the link through the alliance website, it attaches it's title to the URL I think).

[/url]
Cheers
James

Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 Auto

the loon

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 08:53:58 »
excelent idear and welcome to MC

do you still have the letter?

I think it would be good if we could have a kind of "fill in the blanks" form posted on the forums so we can all mail our hard working loyal and trustworthy MP's  our thoughts on the subject of urban 4x4 bans

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 10:09:32 »
Waste of time with my Local MP (Roger Gale - Thanet North). I wrote to him before about things and he said that 4x4s on the local byways in his constituency were a problem.

There are no byways in his area, that's where I live and I have to travel some 20 miles out to find a byway.

I wrote back and pointed this out very politely and never got a reply... [!Expletive Deleted!].... :twisted:

Offline jnoshea

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 10:32:43 »
I don't have a copy of the letter as I filled it in online.  I also think that using your own words is the best startegy as our MPs have to read them all and they will quickly become bored or desensitised toa lot of similar sounding letters.  If it's a more personal viewpoint they will quickly see that we are just normal members of the community who happen to own 4x4s and are concerned about the growing and unpleasant movement against us.

I did mention that we are now a one car family because we have seven seats and can go out as a family in one car, exploring responsibly the byways of the countryside, which is a healthy outdoor activity that is much a right of every person in the UK as any other sport and form of enjoyment, we do around 30 mpg and are therefore more efficient than most sports cars and many top marque saloons, we are energy efficient in our lifestyle (I walk to work, my wife walks the kids to school, we don't take three holidays abroad each year, we have a super-insulated home, no dishwasher etc.) and I already pay more road tax becuase of the large engine, and I pay duty on fuel like everyone else.

You can't argue that hitting a child in a Discovery is not going to be far more serious than hitting the same child in a micra, but we can demonstrate that we are careful drivers, have better visibility and drive much slower than most.
Cheers
James

Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 Auto

Offline wibble

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 17:28:49 »
i agree, i am not a political activist but have just wrote to the local councillor, MP & MEP expressing my views that are probably shared by a great number that use this site and beyond to other 4x4 users. the letters should be personal to the author and polite. then as stated earlier they have to read them because each will be replied to individually and not just a pro-forma with the blanks filled in. some may think that its not worth it, but it takes only a moment and you can copy / paste the same text to the local/MP/MEP/PM etc etc. these people will want your vote sooner or later, if you don't express a view point it can't be heard. and if they then do nothing to support your veiw on this and others schools etc. don't vote for em!

heres to many years of happy mud swilling with out some leafy rent a mob complaining of our choice of hobby :-# i'll shut up now!
It was already broke when i got here... honest!

Pilot of 'Larry' the directionally challenged disco

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 19:31:53 »
:D Well done James and welcome to the club.  :D
I also sent a letter to my MP some months ago now ( more about the greenlane issuses than urban 4x4s ). I got a good reply and she also sent letters onto Alun Micheals MP  :D  and D.E.F.R.A.
Ive received letters from all partys with mixed opinions.
But thankfully through pressure of the public writeing into there mps etc, things dont look so glum anymore regarding restricted byways etc... even now it has gone a bit quite on the greenlane issue.  :D
But the fight goes on,never quit.  :D
Sadly my MP is Beverly Hughes who lost her job during the immigration scandal ( scape goat ). She is still active in our constituancy and still replys to my letters and is simpathetic to our coarse.
Dont rely on appathy...
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal