AuthorTopic: Fixing non functional intermittent fault rear windows  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
Fixing non functional intermittent fault rear windows
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:25:35 »
There is a good write up here of how to fix the window winder ECU - its just a simple reflow of a dry solder joint or two:
http://www.discoweb.org/window/index.htm

Mine was found in a slightly different location and with a different module so I add some details of mine to my blog...
http://goo.gl/Lhtf

.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: Fixing non functional intermittent fault rear windows
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:38:56 »
Might have a go at that on mine if it ever stops raining!  :lol:

The same fix can be used for the alarm spider unit fault, as the cause is identical.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 01:17:14 »
I've seen a fix kit on the bay for the PS3 "yellow light of death" syndrome, all it contains is alcohol cleaner, really really good flux and heatsink paste.  They recomend using the flux to ensure you get a good run of solder all along the track.  I mention it because it is a very similar issue to the window lift (and it seems alarm spider) issue on the Disco/.RRC
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 06:39:45 »
I've seen a fix kit on the bay for the PS3 "yellow light of death" syndrome, all it contains is alcohol cleaner, really really good flux and heatsink paste.  They recomend using the flux to ensure you get a good run of solder all along the track.  I mention it because it is a very similar issue to the window lift (and it seems alarm spider) issue on the Disco/.RRC

Same with xbox's, ham radios, televisions....the world is full of equipment with failed solder joints since the use of lead free solders. Thankfully the military use the proper stuff in guided missiles.Some of the lead free stuff is just not durable enough with joints becoming brittle and developing hair-line cracks for boards that experience increased temperatures for extended periods of time.

A lot of problems occurred during the switch over to lead free where some manufacturer didn't use the higher temperatures required for soldering with lead free solder, largely solved now but issues still persist with the stuff. I think its a rather good timed fuse to statistically kill a measurable quantity of equipment just out of its warranty.

In the automotive industry they favour sticking crappy simple electronics into a semi-sealed black box and calling it a module which are expensive to replace. I have repaired modules like this window winder ECU before on my parents Mazda bongo and their heater/fan fails quite often. I am happy to repair the heater module without permanent modification as acts at a nice overload feature to the high current of an under-used sticking heater fan :lol:  The window winder switch on the bongo is the module itself,
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 20:27:08 »
Ah yes, good old "designed obsolescence", we are talking about 15 year old cars after all :lol:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal