AuthorTopic: 2 wheel footpath parking ??  (Read 2658 times)

Offline stretchy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2 wheel footpath parking ??
« on: August 16, 2010, 12:31:23 »
most probly been asked befor but what is the law on this?? I have just tried to serch on this and goten difrent comments some saying its ok if not blocking the pavement entirly some saying its a no no full stop ???

i do it alot .. force of habit but never block the footpath

thanks

stretchy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
Re: 2 wheel footpath parking ??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 13:10:46 »

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 13:54:47 »
what if a wheel chair needs to get past?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 14:00:13 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
  • Who Said I can't go there?????
    • Near the next village in Hertfordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 15:15:53 »
I can't see the point of parking like that, It does not make any difference than all 4 wheels are on the road as you still have to pull on to the other side of road. some places no option manily in the countryside. I,ve done it twice in the village but only because the pavement is wide and the roadis a bus route, and the tyre is on the kerb only. This was only because i normally park they had roadworks there,

This weekend there was a party going on up the road and all there guest had parked some on (all 4 wheels on path) 2 wheels on.

There is a disabled girl in a wheel chair lives up the road tried to get past with her friend and they had to walk into traffic to get by, 10 mins later freind came back and stuck notes on the windscreens with sticky paper I won't repeat what they said.
the only repeatle bit was that the number plates had been noted and will be given to the Police. There was a stables up the road  and they used to park on the pavement always saw a Police car parked giving tickets and having a word.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 15:23:15 by Landy1uk »

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 15:39:05 »
Everyone does it on this road. If they didn't then the ambulances wouldn't be able to get to the old peoples home at the top, let alone bin lorries...

The police did come round a few weeks ago taking number plates until it was pointed out to them. Lets just say that they left quite sharpish after.

Oh it's about 1 - 2 ambulances a day and it's a dead end road.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 22:32:36 »
There are apparently only two situations in which it is legal to even drive on the pavement, let alone park on it, the first is  'if directed by a police officer'........... and the second, is to gain access to your property..... ie, drive over the pavement onto your won or someone elses driveway.......... any other time its illiegal..................
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 16:30:33 »
There are apparently only two situations in which it is legal to even drive on the pavement, let alone park on it, the first is  'if directed by a police officer'........... and the second, is to gain access to your property..... ie, drive over the pavement onto your won or someone elses driveway.......... any other time its illiegal..................

There must be a third as I have seen official parking bays marked half on the pavement.

Mike
If you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there

Self built Range Rover/Lightweight hybrid (yes the one with yellow wheels)

Offline Sider

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 20:55:07 »
And to unload a vehicle if it is inpractical to do it otherwise.

Had the argument with a parking vulture, was ticketed and the company appealed it, and won with an unreserved apology from the council.
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
  • Who Said I can't go there?????
    • Near the next village in Hertfordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 21:22:34 »
That reminds me I got Ticked in London while Delivering Elcetrical stuff to a building site around Blackfriers, I was there 2 mins There was My van and 5 cars along this bit of road The bit of road had been Temprly marked loading unloading bay which was painted onto the pavement I got a ticket but the cars that were Rep mobiles no ticket, so i took pictures on the firms phone and got the supervisor from the site i had delivered to make a note on my del notes, he said the car owners were in the sandwich bar just up the road, and they had nothing to do with the site this warden was just targeting delivery wagons.......

The firm appealed and were let off then in news 4 days later the council in that area were in the news for ticketing motors even when they were in pay bays with time left on the meter

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 22:14:23 »
It is illegal to park with wheels on the pavement in London elsewhere only if it causes an obstruction. Why there is a geographic distinction is beyond me.

On our estate, if it wasn't common practice, they may as well turn it into a pedestrian only estate as the roads are too narrow.
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 20:49:19 »
When I lived in Hayes my housemate worked for the council, apparenlty the pavements aren't rated to carry a vehicle in some places hence it's illegal.  If the pavement has a line on it for parking 2 wheels up the curb you can be fined for going over the line.

Then I remember being told that it your car is hit when parked 2 wheels up the curb you aren't iinsured.

It is illegal but it's become the norm.  I find it damned annoying here because I can't get a pushchair up to the [park without walking in the road, which is a rat-run and narrow because it was built originally as a cul-de-sac.  Most annoying because many of the cars are outside houses with empty drives.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline andycwb

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 22:32:58 »
Common practice in the cul-de-sac where I live because it improves access.  No-one has a wheelchair or pushchair so it's not going to upset someone.   

Oh, and I had the Dakar parked like that for most of the time I owned it - including while chatting to the police who were towing away a neighbour's vehicle "for evidence".
"You came here in *that thing*?  You're braver than I thought."
Td5 Discovery, TD5 Alive Re-Map, QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel
Steering Guard, FT-8900 radio, roof rack

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal