AuthorTopic: access to td5 in-tank fuel pump  (Read 4854 times)

Offline kevinf

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
access to td5 in-tank fuel pump
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:25:54 »
hi folks

has any body cut a hole in the rear load area floor of a 110 station wagon to gain access to the fuel tank sender unit/fuel pump so you can get to the pipe work and wiring for diagnosis and also replacing the unit if needed !

and if so how big a hole and where ie how far from back door and wheel boxes   you know what i mean

also would want to put some sort of hatch over the hole 

cheers kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline pondy653

Attack Member
    • Norwich
Re: access to td5 in-tank fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 21:31:54 »
One of my mates did this very thing to a TD5 90.  Plate was then made and retained with dzus fasteners for ease of access in another 60-70k miles!!

Approx location should be about the same, I'll try and get some dims for you.

Tony
98 Defender 110 CSW Tdi
Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport DSG
Yamaha WR450F (for treading really lightly)
4x4 Response (Norfolk&Suffolk) Member since 1999

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 21:35:00 »
forum member toppa done this to his 110 td5, I'll pass the thread on to him
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 21:51:59 »
sorry for not getting back to you sooner not been on-line until now would appreciate any info

many thanks
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline Toppa

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 16:59:29 »
Hiya,

The measurement i was given, althoguh mine was already cut when i lifted the matting away, were from left hand wheel arch, vertical internal surface 42cm, and from the lip of the gavinised strip across the rear door, the first lip, not the external lip is 50cm, this gives you the centre of the pump...  just measurged a fuel pump and it is near enough 13cm round, so i would guess a 16cm square hole form the centre measurements above would suffice.
Please note that you will cut through the support rib the runs the length of the tub.

Mine was already cut and i have had it open, whoe ever cut it, not only cut a great long hole in the floor, but it is also off centre, so part of the pump is still covered, but i managed to get the pump in and out as the hole was.

PLEASE NOTE:  that i have never cut a hole in the floor my self. there appears to be a reasonable amount of clearance from anything you cuold damage with a saw, but take care.

Cheers

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:12:27 »
thanks for the info toppa

and i appreciate the warning       just thought that it might be a worth while mod for a fledgling overland vehicle did a bit of europe last summer and planning further afield in the near future and sods law states the tank will be full to the brim and tank guard and tank mounting bolts will be seized when i need to get to the pump

cheers kevin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal