AuthorTopic: Terra Firma shocks  (Read 2159 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Terra Firma shocks
« on: June 02, 2010, 18:03:42 »
Having had my Rough Country shocks fail in 5 months (the shafts went rusty after a few weeks of use on the road!), I have just bitten the bullet and ordered Terra Firma dampers in +2" fronts and +5" rears along with pin mounts for the rear.

This way the front springs shouldn't dislocate (I have Gwyn Lewis 2" spacers) and I can make use of my Gwyn Lewis relocation/hook doodahs on the rear. Currently, the rear springs only dislocate by about 1" with +2" Rough Country dampers.

I will build it all in, then articulate the axle to check rear prop shaft binding...... then go out and buy a prop shaft 'cos it will almost certainly not work!!

Only had the thing 'finished' for 5 months and I'm already modding it further  :roll: :lol:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
Re: Terra Firma shocks
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 21:16:37 »
I've got the +5.5 pin to pins on mine as well ( front and rears), well pleased with them, Only slight gripe is the expanding rubber gaiters on the rears tear up and perferate quite quickly.
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:34:18 »
If you fit shockers that long, do they "bottom out" before the axle hits the bump stop?  I figured tyhat my LSE could take plus 2 1/2" and still reach the bump stops (which is does when it's parked).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:01:42 »
I've got the +5.5 pin to pins on mine as well ( front and rears), well pleased with them, Only slight gripe is the expanding rubber gaiters on the rears tear up and perferate quite quickly.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160439833234&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

:P :P :P :P
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 14:37:25 »
If you fit shockers that long, do they "bottom out" before the axle hits the bump stop?  I figured tyhat my LSE could take plus 2 1/2" and still reach the bump stops (which is does when it's parked).

The articulation was carefully checked without springs fitted during the build with the Rough Country dampers, so I am planning on checking the compressed length against each other before fitting the new ones. Hopefully, this will give me a clue as to whether I've got a bump problem or not. I'll let you know the measurements as soon as I get round to the job.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 21:38:30 »
I fitted the Gwyn lewis challenge shock mounts, (well the complete whole challenge setup to be truthful but don't tell the Mrs), the mounts are further forward than the standard eye/bush setup LR use, so the travel of the shock on the upward stroke is accounted for with no bottoming out. I'm using standard bump stops and have had no problems with fouling with 265/75/16 special tracks on standard modulars with no spacers. on the downward travel the relocators have a hook which catches the last coil on the springs (+2") limiting the stroke.

As I said I've the complete package on mine and the only trouble has been the gaiters wearing quickly, the polybush from the trailing arm to chassis takes some punishment too, I split one of the blue ones...I have  Gwyn's cranked trailing arms fitted as well.

I went back to standard LR bushes on the front radius arms for a while,  where the axle attaches but ripped the centers out of them in a couple of offroading trips..so have gone back to polybushes.....

Axetamer

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:28 »
Thanks for the help. All useful stuff. I'm hoping the shocks will arrive today, but I don't know when I'll get a chance to fit them  :roll:
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:50:41 »
Shocks and top mounts arrived.... missing half the bushes  :roll: Anyway, the supplier is sorting it out and the missing parts should be with me later this week.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 16:02:24 »
missing half the bushes  
for the love  :lipsrsealed:
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 23:49:38 »
I went back to standard LR bushes on the front radius arms for a while,  where the axle attaches but ripped the centers out of them in a couple of offroading trips..so have gone back to polybushes.....

Sounds like you need to convert ot rose joints or X-Shafts
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 21:47:26 »
Sounds like you need to convert ot rose joints or X-Shafts

I might in the future, just spent close on 3 grand on 2 ARB's fitted in recon diff from crown diffs, Ashcroft driveshafts, CV's and drive members all round, so gonna be a wee bit skint for a wee while, I've got an R380 short earmarked first though when finances improve!!!!

Axetamer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal