AuthorTopic: V8, while its out  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Highland_Defender

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8, while its out
« on: May 19, 2010, 20:58:43 »
Hi all,

Taking the chassis off for galvanising (its only a year old but was a painted chassis), And so will have the engine, gearbox etc out and was wondering what all i should do while its out.
I'll be replacing the clutch, and fitting an x-brake. Servicing the engine and replacing the transmission oils.

But has anyone else got any worthwhile changes or improvements to make while everything is easy to get to?

Just want to make life easyer for the future.

Cheers

Cal
06 Mitsubishi L200 animal-BFG A/T 265-70-17, Midland cb, twin arials, 4 light force 170 lights (for sale)!! Cheap to a good home

Landrover 3.5v8 90-Tree sliders, steering guard, tank guard, light bar, 8 spokes with xzl's

Yamaha 350 Bigbear 4x4-Front VIPER Elite winch, Rear VIPER Elite demount winch, Warn spot lights, 28" tyres

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Re: V8, while its out
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 21:59:23 »
Lightening the Flywheel?  ;)

It's also an idea opportunity to swap the starter motor if the other one is getting on a bit.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 22:14:41 »
Yeah forgot about the starter motor. Might get the inlaws to do the flywheel.

Thinking of changing the ht leads and plugs to magnecor and NGK iridium.

Any thing else?
06 Mitsubishi L200 animal-BFG A/T 265-70-17, Midland cb, twin arials, 4 light force 170 lights (for sale)!! Cheap to a good home

Landrover 3.5v8 90-Tree sliders, steering guard, tank guard, light bar, 8 spokes with xzl's

Yamaha 350 Bigbear 4x4-Front VIPER Elite winch, Rear VIPER Elite demount winch, Warn spot lights, 28" tyres

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 22:29:17 »
Depends on how much you want to spend. There is a fair bit that you can do.

When i put the 4.2 in, one thing i did do was to removeb the exhaust manifold gave the faces (Manifold and head) a good clean up with emery cloth and then replace the bolts with an ARP manifold bolt kit from Reel Steel and loctite them in. No more loose bolts which was a constant annoyance with the old engine.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 22:46:01 »
Not fussed on how much aslong as its sensible improvements that will make a differance.

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 21:32:14 »
Well it'll stop the exhaust manifold bolts coming loose  8-[ Something i did suffer with, plus looking shiny and nice.

The Magnecors would help in getting the spark to the plugs and in my case the platinum ones i had did help in a small way. (It's hard to say when on the other end is a Mallory and a High output coil as there is a huge spark energy there anyway) But it defiantly didn't like 5Es's then the 6Es's it is ok but the platinum was another small step.

Ohh and maybe a new set on engine mounts as they are free to get at!  :)
Rowan.

Offline garetharcher

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 23:17:40 »
Core plugs - Dam site easier to get to when the engines out.

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 23:24:39 »
All good, will change the exhaust too while im at it. Think i'll just have a nice straight through stainless system

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Offline fuzzy

Attack Member
  • my lovely s3 military, Percy
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 15:54:06 »
When I had mine in bits, I used the opportunity to replace all the fuel lines, brakes lines and do a rewire I know its not cheap and definately not quick but could save you a lot of time and effort in the future, its easier to run brake lines etc without the body in the way than try to do it scrabbling around on your back on a cold winters morning!!!! Trust me I have tried both  :lol:
1980 s111 109 ex military 12v gs soft top- waiting to have life breathed back into it.
1990 110 2.5td, waiting for crew cab conversion, mud tyres, suspension and 2"lift.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 15:42:39 »
Timning chain and gears, worn valve train or camshaft results in high fuel consumption.

Check the big end shells for wear and replace now if any is evident, same for main bearings.

Rear crank oil seal, a ******* to do once it's in.

Clean and re=lap the valves, do a bit of gentle fettling in the heads and try matching the inlet ports.

New oil pump gears
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline vougese39

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 17:10:14 »
Well it'll stop the exhaust manifold bolts coming loose  8-[ Something i did suffer with, plus looking shiny and nice.

The Magnecors would help in getting the spark to the plugs and in my case the platinum ones i had did help in a small way. (It's hard to say when on the other end is a Mallory and a High output coil as there is a huge spark energy there anyway) But it defiantly didn't like 5Es's then the 6Es's it is ok but the platinum was another small step.

magnecore leads waste of time!!!! fit genuine cap leads and rotor and it costs a lot less than just the leads have been to plenty of people with running issues down to loose leads only find that they are magnecore or cheap halfords ones!
do you want more omph for your money let me know i do some very quick and powerful motors at good prices
ARMSONAE FIRST AID FOR YOUR LAND ROVER!
THE ONLY UKWIDE MOBILE LAND ROVER SPECALIST
FULL DIAGNOSTICS 1990-2010 MY!
MUDCLUB 10% LABOUR DISCOUNT
http://armsonae.webs.com/  EMAIL armsonae@yahoo.co.uk/ 
SEE ME AT STAND G1,G2,G3 AT LRO PETERBOG 2011

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 21:48:08 »
When I had mine in bits, I used the opportunity to replace all the fuel lines, brakes lines and do a rewire I know its not cheap and definately not quick but could save you a lot of time and effort in the future, its easier to run brake lines etc without the body in the way than try to do it scrabbling around on your back on a cold winters morning!!!! Trust me I have tried both  :lol:
Yeah, we are doing the fuel, brake and clutch lines while out. all the wiring is being replaced and neatened up.

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 21:49:36 »
Timning chain and gears, worn valve train or camshaft results in high fuel consumption.

Check the big end shells for wear and replace now if any is evident, same for main bearings.

Rear crank oil seal, a ******* to do once it's in.

Clean and re=lap the valves, do a bit of gentle fettling in the heads and try matching the inlet ports.

New oil pump gears
Noted: and probably will get done, definatly worth doing the timing chain etc

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 21:51:13 »

magnecore leads waste of time!!!! fit genuine cap leads and rotor and it costs a lot less than just the leads have been to plenty of people with running issues down to loose leads only find that they are magnecore or cheap halfords ones!
do you want more omph for your money let me know i do some very quick and powerful motors at good prices
Thats a shame, i thought the magnacores would be good.

I'm just looking to make the engine as reliable as possible for the future and give it a few extra horses.

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 19:01:15 »
With an ever increasing market of cheap Chinese caps and arms on the market even in a lucas box it is hard to have a decent ignition system running standard components.
Whilst no product will be infallible in the hands of an ape (A lot of ignition problems i have seen are down to user error when fitting or fiddling about) i have had no problem running magnecor leads.

The Previous owner of my disco had a mare of a time trying to get it to run right. A new genuine cap and rotor didn't cure it's rough running, oddly the fitment of some magnecor leads did cure the missfire, and the Mallory Distributor took advantage of it's better advance curve to get it to run spot on on LPG.
Last month a customer of the local indepent who cured my Disco had a Classic in with similar symptoms. Oddly the Mallory / Magnecor combo solved it, The owner a happy chappy.

Now i cannot tell anyone what is best for them, but merely point out what works for me.  :D
Rowan.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal