AuthorTopic: Transfer box fitted  (Read 700 times)

Offline andygod

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Birmingham and surrounding areas regional Rep
  • Referrals: 0
Transfer box fitted
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:40:44 »
I fitted a Discovery 200 transfer box to my 300 Defender this weekend. I used the opportunity to replace the input gear bearings and shells as well as a new oil seal. All in all it was quite a straight forward job, both transfer boxes were identical to fit (I know about the gearing difference). Big Thanks to Paul and Chris for all the help and also the people on this forum that gave me advice before hand. Just need to fill the transfer box with oil and take it for a test drive and the jobs a "good un" - as they say.

Andy
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum and jolly bad eggs are we

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Transfer box fitted
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:02:37 »
It's big odd at first to get used to the new gearing, tend to use 3rd more in town and linger in 4th as main gear unless on an open fast road. 5th doesn't like motorway hills anymore. More smoother quieter drive on motorways, cruise speed increases to a comfortable 70mph, I wouldn't go back to the old ratio on my 300tdi 110 now.  But do not think a disco ratio box on a 300tdi defender works as well as it does on a TD5 defender where that engine has power to overcome the short comings of leggy gears.

I put a tranny from an early TD5 D2 on mine. Just had to swap the rear output housing to give it a speedo drive and the output dog to allow pto drive for my winch. Went for that box because it was low mileage, quieter as the disco 200tdi boxes I came across were high mileage noisy worn boxes. 
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal