AuthorTopic: SOG vs Leatherman - SOG FAIL  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
SOG vs Leatherman - SOG FAIL
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:23 »
I want to rant. I have had a couple of Leatherman supertool Classic  for a couple of decades, in fact my first one was bought from SurvivalAids catalogue out of my first proper wage packet. Used pretty much every day for one odd job or other. Used to take one around world with me when a commissioning engineer simple because they was handy and beat lugging my whole chained down tool kit from one end of ship to other.
Bought a nato stock MOD issue SOG multi tool last year to try out, I know they have a big fan base but I found it no way as good as the old skool leathermans. Then today bending off some fencing wire the jaw sheers - CRAP. Continued the job with my leatherman with no lack of confidence. The SOG is going back for a refund or swap for some other toy. Hate to imagine this happening to special forces or who ever gets issued them (it has a C4 det spike tool on it [Edited]!).
The thing is *IF* the leatherman had failed like that then for the cost of a stamp and jiffy bag I could send it off and it would come back with ALL the tools replaced in my original handles and cleaned polished and oiled to boot all under warranty.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 15:12:29 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline DurtyDisco

Attack Member
Re: SOG vs Leatherman - SOG FAIL
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 14:34:16 »
Must be honest here, I've had a Leatherman supertool for longer than I can remember, used all over the world in all conditions, as a present and to update me my daughter bought me Gerber as my super tool was looking a little "Tired".........after 2 offroading trips and some DIY I'm back using my Leatherman, pretty much nuff said.....

2008 Discovery 3 G4 Edition - Still grinning like a small child!

1996 Green 300TDi Commercial - Big Bird - Very
modified!

Offline Sider

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 19:01:52 »
I have always been partial to the Gerber. Used to exchange them with the Yanks for our arm flags, our MREs, berets, caps, etc... We always thought we were conning them, until we realised that all they had to do was go to the stores, say they had lost the tool, and they were given a new one. We had to buy replacements for our stuff D'oh! :doh:

We were still better off with the exchange, and they are really good pieces of kit.
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline bravo669

Attack Member
  • The Mans Machine
    • Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 19:09:13 »
ive always had a leatherman pst tool. had it for years, only got one of the new gucci leatherman fuse things for a change. both are still in excellent working order and i use the fuse everyday at work and the pst stays in my tool kit for emergencies etc...
never had any reason to change it for anything else.
Green Suzuki Jimny soft top with +2" KAP supension lift and Insa Turbo Saharas

Add me at www.facebook.com/braine

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 19:17:14 »

I'm a sucker for new toy and matey in Surplus store had one of these new and tempted me with it, felt nice in hand....  :lol: was going to swap out the C4 spike at some point for the civvy tools it replaces (saw blade, scissors).

Seems SOG do have a life time warranty, have wired them in the states to see if they have a UK agent for warranty repairs (Like leatherman do) will see what their response is like. Still I want to get refund anyway, but be nice to give my matey back a working one so he can sell again to next sucker  :lol:

Offline winchman

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 20:04:19 »
I have had a Swissarmy knife for 30 years.
I have had the top of the range for 24 years and its fantastic, I broke a blade my own fault about 5 years ago and got a relacement for the postage cost first class service
I like the leather man so I bought one of the chinese copys for £1.99 from the local garage about 6 years ago thinking if I use it I will buy a proper one, you have guessed the rest its still in my pocket and going strong
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 23:29:26 »
I have had a Swissarmy knife for 30 years.
I have had the top of the range for 24 years and its fantastic, I broke a blade my own fault about 5 years ago and got a relacement for the postage cost first class service.

I never had a SAK until couple year ago I was given a mini SAK for keyring which an aerospace engine company was giving away on their exhibition stand - proper swiss army knife not a copy. Got to admit I got the blade honed and use that edge and the scissors quite regular - wouldn't have my keyring without it now. Do not think I'd get a full blown SAK in replacement for my leatherman though.

I am in contact with SOG now, they only have one place that does warranty work and that's State side. But they happy to send out replacement jaw and fixings for $10.00 handling/packaging. Just trying to establish with them exactly what model it is I have. Supposedly if it is an old model they no longer stock parts so will replace it totally.....  [-o<

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 23:52:50 »
Where do you send leathermans too to get them fixed?  I've had a knackered one for about 6 years now.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 00:03:53 »
Where do you send leathermans too to get them fixed?  I've had a knackered one for about 6 years now.
It been a number of years since I did it (broke the saw and they replaced everything except handles because mine where engraved) from memory you need to get a reference number first from leatherman themselves and they will provide details. hmmm I think I wrote in detail about this on a forum at the time, see if I can dig it up.

update: no details other than call leatherman customer service.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 00:22:15 by Saffy »

Offline bravo669

Attack Member
  • The Mans Machine
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 10:31:04 »

I'm a sucker for new toy and matey in Surplus store had one of these new and tempted me with it, felt nice in hand....  :lol: was going to swap out the C4 spike at some point for the civvy tools it replaces (saw blade, scissors).

Seems SOG do have a life time warranty, have wired them in the states to see if they have a UK agent for warranty repairs (Like leatherman do) will see what their response is like. Still I want to get refund anyway, but be nice to give my matey back a working one so he can sell again to next sucker  :lol:

lol, you have shiny thing syndrome like me!!!! shiny = must have!!lol
Green Suzuki Jimny soft top with +2" KAP supension lift and Insa Turbo Saharas

Add me at www.facebook.com/braine

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:39:46 »

lol, you have shiny thing syndrome like me!!!! shiny = must have!!lol

indeed.....but.... worse........ because the SOG is matt black finish  :lol: :lol:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:38:53 »
All was going so well with SOG but now they seem to have stopped talking to me after I returned their order form with my payment details - how rude - FAIL.  So now I am spamming them until I get a reply that they have received and all is well. Should have just taken it back.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 10:34:13 »
SOG FAIL AGAIN!!! The new pliers head finally arrived today. IT'S IN POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL. [Edited] it was stipulated TACTICAL MATT BLACK and the photo is pretty clear enough what colour it is lol They said new hex fixings would be supplied but they didn't. SOG service is so far pants compared to that of leatherman's. Have complained and waitign to see what their next move is... it better be along the lines of "we are sending you a brand new SOG at our cost".
I have since been gifted a Leatherman Wave mkII off a matey and am using it for everyday carry instead of the SOG and my leatherman supertool has gone into retirement.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 17:22:21 »
with their apogees they are now sending out the correct coloured plier head and fixings without postage charge. So will see what arrives on doorstep in a few weeks. Means I have a 'spare' plier head anyway.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 17:57:33 »
Where do you send leathermans too to get them fixed?  I've had a knackered one for about 6 years now.
I remember now it was a company called Whitby that did the service. http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 21:34:54 »
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:22 »
Can put this one to bed now. Replacement pliers head and fixings in the correct finish arrived and fitted today. Didn't really need the new fixings as old ones removed and fitted properly with socket set so not chewed up but saved degreasing them for the application of loctite threadlock. That's another sucky thing about SOG, I think leatherman hinges are bronze bushed (or at least better design) where as the SOG's if you tighten them then compress and jam the hinge so you got to fit slack and use loctite to keep together.
Anyway - the warranty was resolved to my satisfaction and without quibble (no receipts asked for or anything) so apart from the hassle that's something to be happy about. Pretty sure I wouldn't chuck 70 notes towards SOG for one of these.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:18:16 by Saffy »

Offline bravo669

Attack Member
  • The Mans Machine
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 09:08:01 »
stick with the leatherman in the future methinks!lol