AuthorTopic: Full width intercooler with close fitting winch  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Axetamer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Full width intercooler with close fitting winch
« on: February 02, 2010, 21:56:45 »
At some time in the near future I'm looking to fit a bigger intercooler, from my readings there are 2 options, either a standard sized uprated job or a full width one, some say that for offroading a full width is better as it doesn't rely on the ram air effect, so a full width is what I'm looking to fit.

Now, I have a close fitting shadow type winch bumper, with an outback winch attached and as is at the moment the drum is only about 3" away from the front of the radiator, so to fit an uprated intercooler I can see that the rad has to go back a bit more,  at least 3" I would say, else if I get spooling to one side, the cables going to go through the intercooler...I already worry now, about the rad.

Anybody any experience of doing this? How far back can you go, I'm thinking of leccy fans as well

Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: Full width intercooler with close fitting winch
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:29:59 »
Wondering why you interested in minimal performance increase from an full length intercooler whilst offroad anyway? Surely if that's the only reason you're going for a full length "because it doesn't rely on ram effect offroad" then maybe save yourself a lot of hassle for pretty much zero gain and just fit the uprated side one (fit a small leccy fan onto the side intercooler?). 
Anyway I imagine on a 200tdi there is acres of space to do what you want but on a 300tdi... :-k 8-[
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 14:34:36 »
Have a look under the bonnet of a pajero in a scrappy (there's plenty there ;) ) especially at the fan cooled rad which sits on the offside inner wing ;)
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 21:04:12 »
Wondering why you interested in minimal performance increase from an full length intercooler whilst offroad anyway? Surely if that's the only reason you're going for a full length "because it doesn't rely on ram effect offroad" then maybe save yourself a lot of hassle for pretty much zero gain and just fit the uprated side one (fit a small leccy fan onto the side intercooler?)

Its not just offroad that the bigger one scores for me over the standard, the performance figs on road are increased as well, according to the manufacturers an allisport full width gives up to 30-35% more power with a pump tweak, whilst a standard uprated gives 18-20%

http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/Intercoolers.html

Surely more power is better?

Axetamer

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 21:09:23 »
Wondering why you interested in minimal performance increase from an full length intercooler whilst offroad anyway? Surely if that's the only reason you're going for a full length "because it doesn't rely on ram effect offroad" then maybe save yourself a lot of hassle for pretty much zero gain and just fit the uprated side one (fit a small leccy fan onto the side intercooler?)

Its not just offroad that the bigger one scores for me over the standard, the performance figs on road are increased as well, according to the manufacturers an allisport full width gives up to 30-35% more power with a pump tweak, whilst a standard uprated gives 18-20%

http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/Intercoolers.html

Surely more power is better?

well those are totally different reasons to your original post  :roll: hence the question.
" from my readings there are 2 options, either a standard sized uprated job or a full width one, some say that for offroading a full width is better as it doesn't rely on the ram air effect, so a full width is what I'm looking to fit."
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 21:58:20 »
I wouldn't say they are totally different reasons,  just the added bonus of on road gains as well :D, I use mine truck as a weekend toy, when I get one off, and as a project vehicle to keep my hands dirty with, having been out of engineering for over 10 years. I'm not the best at communicating my thoughts to words some times.  :embarrassed:

So offroading gains are minimal?

Axetamer

Offline Epicyclic

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 22:07:48 »
Won't a larger intercooler, if it's close to the radiator, just absorb more heat from the water radiator at low speeds unless lots of air can be forced through both rads with fans?  I thought that some challenge trucks now don't have intercoolers to reduce throttle lag and to keep it simple.

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 22:14:20 »
ignore people,
ive had a 200tdi opend to the max on my comp truck
it was usless with 35" simex on road and offroad it simply didnt have enough beans to get in the right gears ( for me 2nd 3rd and 4th )
so i fitted a full width and the gain was amazing, just make sure you keep the viscous fan and if poss a leccy fan aswel so both of them are pulling air through.
or.....fit a td5 and be done with it like me  :twisted: :twisted:
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 22:29:22 »
How about 2 leccy fans, I think the cowl and viscous may have to go to allow the rad to be moved back a bit, but what about the oil pipes to the cooler, do you recon they will  need any mods or replacement ?

The standard size replacement is much easier, but I don't do easy, I like a challenge ;)

Axetamer

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 21:47:04 »
discovery pipes  ;)
or cut and shut them
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal