AuthorTopic: whinch recovery rope  (Read 2276 times)

Offline locknut

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
whinch recovery rope
« on: November 20, 2009, 22:18:51 »
I want to replace my wire cable on my whinch, now which do i choose ? Dyneema or Plasma, i've found little information on the two apart from Dyneema being a tad cheaper :-k, your thoughts much appreciated :help:
TD5 90' Snorkle, T-Max 12500 winch,2 inch Scorpion lift, 33:12:50/15 kumho's,tree sliders, bucket seats, QT diff guards, cuddley toy, fondeu set, 3 dogs, 5 ferrets

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: whinch recovery rope
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:21:05 »
I want to replace my wire cable on my whinch, now which do i choose ? Dyneema or Plasma, i've found little information on the two apart from Dyneema being a tad cheaper :-k, your thoughts much appreciated :help:

12 Strand Synthetic Rope.
Much of a muchness between them (plasma brand vs dyneema brand vs Amsteel) specification wise but buy the right size of a branded rope from a well known supplier. It would probably be a mistake buying cheap no name rope from ebay or something.
Personally mine is 11mm dyneema bowrope from Goodwinch, there is some reading info on their webby http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/dyneema.htm
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:27:20 by Tanglefoot »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 10:31:48 »
I have the dyneema from goodwinch and it is very good, has good abrasion resistance, been on there over a year and is only just fluffing up now!
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 13:09:43 »
A few of the winch challenge guys use their local tree surgery suppliers!

Thats what was recommended to me. Phoned them up, explained what I wanted, it arrived the next day complete with hook and a damn site cheaper than the branded ones. It is proper stuff, just not "branded" stuff.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline burgerman

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 06:32:31 »
dyneema on the back and trying out one of the marlow "extreme " ropes on the front for the next comp  8-[

TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

Offline locknut

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:39:13 »
cheers fellas :thumbup:h
TD5 90' Snorkle, T-Max 12500 winch,2 inch Scorpion lift, 33:12:50/15 kumho's,tree sliders, bucket seats, QT diff guards, cuddley toy, fondeu set, 3 dogs, 5 ferrets

Offline THONG BOY

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 17:45:13 »
A few of the winch challenge guys use their local tree surgery suppliers!

Thats what was recommended to me. Phoned them up, explained what I wanted, it arrived the next day complete with hook and a damn site cheaper than the branded ones. It is proper stuff, just not "branded" stuff.

sound interesting wat did you get and how mutch and where from
could be intrested in some of this myself
james curtis-dawson tarbet west scotland
200 tdi front n rear HD bumpers, 12000lb winch, rock sliders, roof rack, light bar + spots, bonnet pod, 750/16MTs wolf rims, 2 inch lift,safty devices internal roll cage

Offline LR90

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:12:03 »
Why not just stay with Wire for £20?

Ano there is weight savings etc!

But if you use wire properly with blankets etc etc you cant go wrong!
If it wasn't for the last minute nothing would get done!

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 12:39:40 »

Proclimber near Carmarthen (Wales) 01558685862 speak to Andrew or Caroline.

I can't remember what its called as I just rang them up and said about my mate recomending them, that I wanted 100ft (could get a bit less happily, about 90 ft maybe?) Said I wanted it for a winch complete with hook on the end, there was two choices one was better quality and more expensive, I went with the cheaper one.

Total cost including VAT, carriage, rope and competition hook was £243.23

My mate reckons its half the price of Devon 4x4?

I was out on Saturday with some of the lads from the Discovery Owners Club. One has the same winch as me but hasn't replaced the wire with plasma, after ONE winch to remove a tree his wire is severly kinked! Mine did one recovery then loads more on Sunday and no damage at all!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 12:51:53 »

I can't remember what its called as I just rang them up and said about my mate recomending them, that I wanted 100ft (could get a bit less happily, about 90 ft maybe?) Said I wanted it for a winch complete with hook on the end, there was two choices one was better quality and more expensive, I went with the cheaper one.

Total cost including VAT, carriage, rope and competition hook was £243.23

My mate reckons its half the price of Devon 4x4?

what diameter ? because 100foot of 11mm bowrope is less than that from goodwinch, and £ 253.26 for 11mm 100foot plasma from devon 4x4 ! don't see that's it a better source :huh:

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 13:24:40 »

what diameter ? because 100foot of 11mm bowrope is less than that from goodwinch, and £ 253.26 for 11mm 100foot plasma from devon 4x4 ! don't see that's it a better source :huh:

Maybe I should have done? its 11mm which goodwinch sell at £189 plus the VAT £217.35 complete with hook, so yes, maybe I shouldn't have taken my mates word for it? Although I have supported a local business and I did include carriage which would account for "some" of the extra I paid. Still cheaper than Devon though? 
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 17:11:36 »
Maybe I should have done? its 11mm which goodwinch sell at £189 plus the VAT £217.35 complete with hook, so yes, maybe I shouldn't have taken my mates word for it? Although I have supported a local business and I did include carriage which would account for "some" of the extra I paid. Still cheaper than Devon though? 

And you even said yourself, you went for the cheaper lowere quality item.
I know which one id put my life in when winching down a steep hill!
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 17:40:17 »

And you even said yourself, you went for the cheaper lowere quality item.
I know which one id put my life in when winching down a steep hill!

I went for a DIFFERENT quality item! There is a difference! I could have gone for a slightly more dureable line, but as I do not compete in winch challenge events nor do I engage in extreme winching then it is more than good enough for me. So far I have recovered more than 30 vehicles (some dead ones) and myself from a deep bog at the bottom of a hole (about a 75 foot winch out) with no wear on the line whatsoever!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 18:26:50 »
I also use a synthetic winch extension rope made of kevlar. About 30 foot long, made of multi strand (cant remember how many ..maybe12 or more) but at 30mm diameter! I use it for rough work and towing. Originally it was rope used to construct and hitch a 'towed array sonar' several kilometres behind an anti submarine frigate... so pretty strong stuff but I think it pre-Dyneema/plasma technology. It supposed to degrades a lot more from UV and abrasion... though I have had it for 20 years and so far still takes the strain (it not sitting around in the sun though !).

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 12:56:58 »

You are quite right, but have you ever tried synthetic? It's one of those items that, once you try it, you wonder why you haven't been using for years. It's just so much easier to use than wire rope.

Of course, there will always be people who prefer steel rope, but most people I've spoken to won't go back to it after using synthetic.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal