AuthorTopic: OE radius arm bushes  (Read 686 times)

Offline Axetamer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
OE radius arm bushes
« on: June 23, 2009, 21:44:26 »
I swapped the bushes on the radius arms to polybushes, but now have lost loads of articulation at the front. I have a full (ALL the goodies) Gwin Lewis suspension setup both front and rear, and before fitting the polybushes could get the front springs to drop out under the cones by about 4", but now with polybushes cannot get more than about 1/2" gap under the spring seat.

So I want to go back to the OE land rover bushes which seem to allow the radius arm to rotate more due to not having the rubber flange part going up the edge of the radius arm as polybushes do.

Question: I have a large engineering/blacksmiths vice in my garage, is it possible to use this to install the OE bushes using sockets and tubung or will I need to take them somewhere to be pressed in?
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: OE radius arm bushes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:12:49 »
You need a 10 tonne press I think, but give it a go for nowt.

It's not the flang ethat does it, it's the hardness of the polyester material used, especially as you Defender has the softest rubber bushes fitted, they are not as stiff as the later RRC "double" bush and are narrower than late RRC and Disco.  I think they are the original RRC bushes :-k

Anyhooo, you've gone form one exteme to the other.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline propes

Attack Member
  • THE VOICES MADE ME DO IT OFFICER!
Re: OE radius arm bushes
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 18:56:58 »
I made a 20 ton press using a machine mart 20t bottle jack and some hefty steel section. Lots of different size tube, old bearing races and sockets and done every bush on a friends rrc no problem. Still cant be arsed to do my own 18months later.
Polish the towel of life to reflect the acidic doorstop! Big brother is watching he drives a freelander.....You have been warned!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal