AuthorTopic: RX4 off road??  (Read 7988 times)

Offline lucky

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
RX4 off road??
« on: June 12, 2009, 18:01:50 »
Hello every one,

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken a Renault scenic RX4 off road, if so are they any good?? its just that the wife was thinking about getting one.  Also do they have traction control in place of a diff lock??

Thanks
Lucky
V8 Rangie
2" lift
Pro Comp 4" shocks
33" mud terrains
Ashley Motorsport exhaust
polly bushed
castor corrected radius arms
lpg
K&Ns
and MUD

plus stock Isuzu trooper

Grand Cherokee

Offline Discopoo

Attack Member
  • If my feet are wet I'm deep enough
Re: RX4 off road??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 18:27:45 »
They are not god off road and have a trick bit of kit they jokingly called a Viscous coupling, which if it brakes is about £800.

My advice, buy a cheap Jap 4x4 or better still a Disco lol
Old Bikers never die, they just get dusty Helmets.
Disco for fun
Sportrak for work (and a little fun)

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 20:02:12 »
Had a work colleague once who took his RX4 company car down a green lane ... did £4800 worth of damage and lost his job into the bargain  [-X [-X
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline lucky

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 20:10:10 »
how on earth do you do that much damage on a green lane!!

I would not expect hem to be up to landrover standards but they look as though they ort to be reasonable or at least on par with other soft roaders like the hrv etc...
V8 Rangie
2" lift
Pro Comp 4" shocks
33" mud terrains
Ashley Motorsport exhaust
polly bushed
castor corrected radius arms
lpg
K&Ns
and MUD

plus stock Isuzu trooper

Grand Cherokee

Offline MudRat

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 21:16:09 »
Owned one for 2 days, very heavy on fuel, awful to drive, rubbish off road, buy a freelander or Jap, x trail is alot better!

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 21:22:52 »
how on earth do you do that much damage on a green lane!!

I would not expect hem to be up to landrover standards but they look as though they ort to be reasonable or at least on par with other soft roaders like the hrv etc...

He managed to remove most of the steering and suspension from the front when the near side wheels dropped into a fairly deep rut that he had been straddling. He had been driving rather "enthusiastically" at the time  :D I saw the vehicle when it was recovered to the factory. The near side front wheel was a good 4" further back than it should have been. Personally I was impressed at the amount of damage he managed to do  [-X

His manager was really annoyed ... the car was only a week old!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 17:58:28 by Frankie-Boy »
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 23:15:34 »
HMMMMM, aren't they marketed as a 4X4/Off-roader? don't we see one on the advert towing a Renault 4 out of the mud, you would be forgiven then for thinking that they should be ok "off-Highway" and on a legal road, albeit a green lane, any damge would be insured.

Poor soul was doubly unfortunate, a Renault for a company car :( and then gets the sack :(

Or perhaps a lucky escape, I don't much like Renaults
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 15:25:47 »
I think that advert has one of the new Renault soft roaders (Koleos?). I don't remember the Scenic RX4 ever being marketed as a proper 4x4. A pity, as if they'd worked with Nissan and made a more capable vehicle they could have put it into the Jap market to compete with the Mitsubishi Delica as a slightly smaller 4x4 MPV.

I wouldn't have another Renault after seeing my Dad's Laguna 2 slowly disintegrate over the four years he owned it for. Thankfully it was a company car, so the repeated fuel injection faults and new cylinder head (at about two years old and a very average mileage for a fleet car) didn't cost us anything.

Our local Renault dealer claimed that the fuel injection fault was "the first one I've heard of" - reading a few owners forums showed that it was a fairly common fault. I strongly suspect that Renault knew what was wrong but didn't want the cost of a recall to fix it.

For the year or so that it worked properly, it was a great car. But it just wasn't made to last.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 14:29:59 »
check youtube - several videos of them playing on there....

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:32:16 »
that tool from 5th gear took a ford kuga off road and did something obsine like 6k worth of damage! i have also seen the same guy on another program (although im not sure if it was) protest that the defender was quotes the best 4x4...........not being funny but defenders dont seem to be written off like kugas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWdPPxd2mA

vid doesnt show the end where he says it did all the damage.....but it also doesnt say "save 18 grand and buy a disco" :lol:

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:12:25 »
Thing about "4x4" is that for some reason as soon as anyone sticks a 4x4 badge on a car that looks a bit "tough" people think they can drive them through quarries or rutted tracks. Now they are not really designed for that, but thats not really a problem.

I regularly (infact daily) drive "off road" but nothing serious just car parks at car boot, agricultural shows, farm sales, byways leading to cliff top car parks and even my drive. All of these are just about passable with a normal car, however our Golf lost its undertray on my drive and I have see people trying to bounce cars out of the mud in a car park I was driving out of with ease. Modern cars are lower than they used to be and have all sorts of spoilers/splitters and such (even basic spec ones).

So what im trying to say is there is nothing wrong with a car thats "a little bit off road", just dont follow your mate in a Disco.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 20:09:19 »
There was a time when the average family car was damn good off-road, like here.  There's off-road and off-road, though most of us go greenlaning and that isn't strictly off-road it is what the yanks call "off-highway"
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal