AuthorTopic: Clutch problems  (Read 6395 times)

Offline vtrdaz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Clutch problems
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:35:01 »
Help!
Our 90 has started having problems with the clutch - when in traffic and using the clutch a lot the biting point gradually drops until there's nothing at all just constant drive- take it out of gear if you can get it out pump the pedal a couple of times and it comes back.
The slave cylinder was changed under warranty last wednesday.
Any other ideas chaps - any info would be greatly received

Darren

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Clutch problems
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 10:37:21 »
Have a look around the system for signs of fluid leaking.  If you have a wading plug in the bell housing... take it out.

It might be a badly mated pipe, a faulty slave cylinder, or maybe a faulty master cylinder.

By the sound of it, the system isn't sealed somewhere.  Is the fluid level dropping ?   If not, then it could well be a faulty master cylinder.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline vtrdaz

Attack Member
Clutch problems
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 10:43:30 »
thanks
I haven't actually had a look round it - because it's still under warranty we just whipped it back to the dealers , so i'd have hoped they would have checked for leaks and the suchlike - but you never know with dealers!

tenpolequint

Clutch problems
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 19:07:03 »
Muddyplug why may I ask would a wading plug in the bell housing effect the clutch. I agree about checking for leaks, you know garages are not infallible. You should check your reservoir for your clutch (is this separate?, I don't own a land rover so would not know). If it gets too low due to a leak you will have no clutch at all. I have driven a Mk III Capri with no clutch and my BMW E30 316 with no clutch when the fluid level dropped too low due to a leak in the slave cylinder but I would not relish driving a landy with no clutch. Cant be fun at all.

Offline vtrdaz

Attack Member
Clutch problems
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 19:38:02 »
it isn't beleive me - especially when it's in gear in traffic and the only way you can stop it is switch it off!
Well it went back to the dealers on the back of a low loader this afternoon so we'll have to wait and see what next week brings ( but they did bring me a disco in it's place)

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Clutch problems
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 20:49:11 »
Quote from: "tenpolequint"
Muddyplug why may I ask would a wading plug in the bell housing effect the clutch.

It wouldn't..  but if the slave cylinder was leaking past the seals, the fluid would be draining into the bellhousing... this is one of the reasons that you shouldn't run normally with the drain plug in...
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline vtrdaz

Attack Member
Clutch problems
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 22:32:03 »
an excellant tip!

Offline vtrdaz

Attack Member
Clutch problems
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 19:27:13 »
just to let you chaps know - the 90 came back from the dealers last night , and the problem? a faulty master cylinder.
Thanks for all your ideas chaps - much appreciated! :(contented):

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
Clutch problems
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 21:52:22 »
I have had roughly the same problem (comes n goes) for a couple of months. No leakage of fluid and already changed the slave. I had just come to the conclusion it was a perished seal on the master when I read your post. Price of a new unit from paddocks I think I will just change the whole thing over the easter hols.
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline vtrdaz

Attack Member
Clutch problems
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 21:55:15 »
sound's exactly like the same problem as us - sometimes it was ok , othertimes it was in constant drive.
Hope it all goes well changing the master over

Darren

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal