AuthorTopic: I want to be taller!!!  (Read 2670 times)

Offline MudPlugger

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • I don't grow up, I just get bigger toys!
  • Referrals: 0
I want to be taller!!!
« on: March 06, 2009, 17:39:37 »
Well not me...the Disco wants to be taller  :D

Basically I am really wanting to make it a helluva lot bigger than it is to get the biggest tyres possible and with the most articulation as is possible, it's currently only on +2" suspension but I am wanting to fit either 35 or 37's on her. There is another member on here but can't remember his name think it was "Leader" or something similar...

But anyway I am after fitting 2" dropped shocker mounts all round as well as dislocation cones, I also want to remove the roll bars to get more articulation etc, flared arches and the likes as I plan to use it as it was intended! does anybody have any ideas how I can get the Disco a bit higher than it is and what's required to fit the bigger tyres, any drawbacks with rollbars etc I do know a bodylift is involved or at least I'd like to put a bodylift on it.

Any ideas people?
200TDi Discovery
+2" Bearmach blue springs, +2" ProComp ES9000 Shocks, 31x10.50R16 Colway MT's, Heavy Duty steering arms, Safari snorkel, Midland CB radio, Extended bump stops, fully chequer plated rear.

Soon to have:
Full length roof rack, more lights than you can shake a stick at, +2" spacers, 2" lowered twin shock turrets, dislocation cones all round, Heavy duty bumpers. Possibly bigger tyres (Much bigger!!!) and more than likely body lifts etc.

Offline craig_midz

Attack Member
Re: I want to be taller!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 18:43:52 »
2 inch body lift with 2 inch spring spacers under ya 2 inch springs then you got to extend ya clutch pipe if manual brake pipes fuel filler pipe then u need some double de cardon props an castor corrected radius arms an traillin arms thats just a few things im sure someone will tell ya more in a bit :P

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 18:50:11 »
Its all down to tthe wallet  ;) ;)
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 19:40:44 »
Well the wallet is the problem, the major mods won't be started for a few months but the spacers etc will be in the short term, but when I get the funds together I'm looking at spending about £2k on her, from that I want a winch and winch bumper, roofrack, HD rear bumper with detachable towbar etc
200TDi Discovery
+2" Bearmach blue springs, +2" ProComp ES9000 Shocks, 31x10.50R16 Colway MT's, Heavy Duty steering arms, Safari snorkel, Midland CB radio, Extended bump stops, fully chequer plated rear.

Soon to have:
Full length roof rack, more lights than you can shake a stick at, +2" spacers, 2" lowered twin shock turrets, dislocation cones all round, Heavy duty bumpers. Possibly bigger tyres (Much bigger!!!) and more than likely body lifts etc.

Offline Disco-andy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 20:01:30 »
If you want to fit 35,  you just need to chop the arches as you already have a 2" lift.

If you want to keep it cheep hack them out to the second lip and find some thing to make spats out of to covey the extra rubber. the more you spend the prittyer it will look but if you just what it to work, then there are loads of cheep alternatives.

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 20:12:23 »
I'm not bothered about it looking pretty as long as it does the job it was intended, for the wheel arch spats I was going to get a set of the 75mm wide spats from D4, the main reason I'm upgrading to 35's is to get a bit more clearance under the diffs, and then I want to make the car a little taller but I am currently thinking of sticking a set of spring spacers under until I can afford the +3" body lift kit for the Disco from LA Supertrux...
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

Offline Disco-andy

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 20:50:39 »
thats one expencive looking body lift kit. I made mine cost about £50.

I made the spacers from nilon bar, bolts were m10 stud.  Only thing i need to go and buy was the seat belt extensions.

If you what a body lift, i have 8 ( of 10 ) 80mm nilon spacer in the garden, pm me if you are interested in them. i could make up the other 2 as well

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 21:03:27 »
pm sent my man  :D

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 23:05:09 »
Dont use studing or threaded bar for a body lift its far to soft. You need at least 8.8 high tenstil bolts.
Just as a pointer the 3 inch lift from La supertrux will need more than a bit of work doing to the steering shaft and fuel filler pipe.
2 inches is about as far as you can go without any major hassles.

wizard :twisted:

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 23:28:03 »
Funny you should pop up Wizard, I was just going to point him towards THIS KIT.  :lol:

Another thing to think about with 35 or 37" tyres is how it's going to effect your gearing. You will find that for normal road driving you won't be able to use 5th gear below about 45mph and 4th below 30-35mph with the standard 1.222 ratio transfer box, you may have to look at changing it to a 1.410 transfer box from a Defender. The other alternative is to get new ring & pinions for both diffs, although buying new will be more expensive than a transfer box. Oh, and don't think about using the series diffs as they won't last very long.  ;)

The standard LR cardon joint front propshaft will either need a spacer or lengthening to fit anything over a +3" suspension lift if you're using corrected radius arms. 

Offline turbonutter

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 00:42:40 »
as iv found the major thing when going to 35/37" tyres is the diffs ! they dont take it well , im just changing my axles at the moment as i blew 3 diffs in a week !

i had 4" spring lift , 2" body lift and major chopped arches and 37" boggers fitted fine

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 01:24:40 »
Turbo where did you get your 4 inch lift from and also the front end?

If I can get a 4 inch lift kit from somewhere I would just stick with that and +2 suspension spacers...I am thinking of sticking with a little bit smaller on the tyre side 35's to be exact!
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

Offline turbonutter

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 13:28:53 »
Turbo where did you get your 4 inch lift from and also the front end?

If I can get a 4 inch lift kit from somewhere I would just stick with that and +2 suspension spacers...I am thinking of sticking with a little bit smaller on the tyre side 35's to be exact!

the 4" springs were on it when i bought it
if you are thinking 4" springs and 2" spacers u will have a 6" suspention lift , thats to much bud

if your having 35" tyres a 4" suspention lift will just about be ok , is your truck 3 or 5 door ?
a 2" body lift is fairly easy , wouldnt go much more as things start getting interesting ( hi/lo leaver hits the centre console ect )

think the front end is from inovation 4x4 , but again they were on it

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 19:55:04 »
Nah I was just thinking on 4" springs as I wanted to do it without spacers but I think spacers are the way forward for me at the minute as I already have the rear 2 made up just need to fit them, the wagon's a 5 door pics of her are in my gallery 35's are what I want, although I've spotted a set of 33x12.50R15 Recip Trial's that look quite nice.
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 20:21:03 »
Does anybody know what Greenway Anaconda's are like and what the biggest size they do is?

Biggest I can find is 235/85/16's but I'm after 35's
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

Offline turbonutter

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 20:51:22 »
anaconda are a good grip pattern , there copies of super swamper boggers , iv got 37" boggers on my disco and there great tyres

dont think they do that big a tyre tho , think 235/85/16 could be the biggest
thats the problem with most copy tyres , they dont do them big enough

look around on different sites bud , theres people selling second hand tyres all the time
ul find a second hand simex ect for cheep ish money
on d44 there was a set of 5 35" simex on rims for £600

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 21:21:32 »
Are you going to be using this on the road?

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 22:04:10 »
It will be used on the road yes, not really bothered about it handling like a hatchback though to be honest as I'm a fairly slow driver anyway. Not bothered about road noise either!
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 22:49:06 »
Well I have now figured it out, I am going for 33's or 35 at the most with Scorpions Extreme whelarches, 3" lift kit, 1" or 2" spacers, thinking seriously about a pair of ARB Air Lockers, and also a winch and bumper...me thinks I'm going mad!
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 23:11:09 »
I was thinking more about insuring it than handling & noise.  ;)
Remember that you have to declare all modifications to the vehicle, otherwise you could find that you're insurance is void if you have an accident.
Mine wanted an engineers report, photos and stuck the excess up to £600.  :roll:

The handling will come into it in a big way though as with 33's & a +3" lift mine would "tram-line" and wander all over the place before I fitted the cranked radius arms, that lead to the propshaft going & needing a TD5 one. If you want any sort of normal driving on the road then you'll need to think about the gearing.
The problem with this is that it's not a simple case of bolting on a lift kit & big tyres.  ;)

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 01:21:30 »
Hmmm...seriously thinking about just a set of spacers, radius arms and a winch in that case...
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

Offline turbonutter

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 01:26:23 »
Hmmm...seriously thinking about just a set of spacers, radius arms and a winch in that case...

dont let things put u off bud , just build away  :twisted:
saying that i got carried away with mine , just look at the the portal thread in the modified section  :twisted:

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 09:21:18 »
Its a good idea to do a bit at a time.
My disco is on 35's and it took a few years to get it there.

Put on a good set of plus 2 springs and shocks to start with.  see how it handles, you might need to put castor corrected radius arms on the front, then cranked rear arms on the rear.

Replace the front prop, chop the arches and lift the body. It all takes time and money.
Some discos are adversley affected with suspension lifts and bigger tyres and some are not.
Gearing on mine was not an issue, but some people,s trucks seem to run out of steam at 60 to 65mph.

wizard

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:36 »
dont let things put u off bud , just build away  :twisted:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put you off. But you need a plan and you need to know what problems you're likely to come across on the way to getting the vehicle you're looking for.  ;)

I was the same as Wizard and it tool about 5 years to get it where I wanted it.
Mine started with a +2" suspension lift.
Then I went on to fit:
  • 31" tyres
  • Allards intercooler & injector pump tweek
  • heavy duty front bumper
  • steering guard
  • cut arches
  • Safari Snorkle
  • winch bumper & winch
  • +3" lift
  • 33" tyres
  • cranked radius arms
  • TD5 front proshaft
  • twin rear shocks
  • cranked trailing arms
  • DiscoPart rear bumper
  • tank guard
  • tree guards

This lot took the Disco from this in 1999:

To this in 2004:

I made some mistakes through rushing in to getting the mods done, without thinking about what I really wanted, hence I changed the suspension & tyres twice, so don't make the same mistakes I did.  :D

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 20:18:53 »
It already has a +2" lift but I want it a bit taller to improve articulation etc, if I go for bigger tyres the biggest I will be going is 35" with +2" spring spacers and dropped shocker mounts, with the cranked front and rear arms...
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 20:46:07 »
Personally, I would never use spring spacers.
The reason being; your +2" springs are designed to cope with the vehicle 2 inches above its normal suspension height.
By adding spacers under the springs then you are taking the springs outside what they were designed for.
Sure, it's the cheap way to get a lift, but I would rather pay the extra and get springs that were designed for the job.  ;)

Make sure those dropped shocker mounts allow the axle to touch the bump stops before the shockers are fully compressed, shockers hate being used as bump stops.  :lol:

Offline MudPlugger

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 21:17:21 »
I've already got +4" extended bump stops and everything else fitted so it should be alright, near enough the whole underside of the vehicle is new.
200TDi Discovery

Soon to have:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal