AuthorTopic: V8 to TDi  (Read 5550 times)

Neill

V8 to TDi
« on: March 14, 2005, 06:46:49 »
I just got back from Libya where I had two weeks of off roading fun. The V8 engine was fantastic. Fuel cost 3 pounds for 70 litres so it was economical as well  :D

On the way home I was followed by John Simpson in his TDi engined, 3 axle 109. He followed me over the Alps at the same speed with a similar load and used 30 litres of diesel to my 70 litres of petrol.

So some questions. Are all TDis twice as economical as V8s?

Has anyone changed a 110 from V8 to TDi?

What would all have to be changed? Can a kit be bought with all parts?

How much am I looking at for a TDi? How much could I expect to get for a V8?

Thanks!

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: V8 to TDi
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 08:23:25 »
Quote from: "Neill"
So some questions. Are all TDis twice as economical as V8s?

Um, No..  a good Tdi will be twice as good as a bad V8 in terms of fuel.  They are of course more fuel efficient, but I wouldn't be expecting twice as good.

What would all have to be changed? Can a kit be bought with all parts?

Exhaust System, some mods to the fuel system, some changes to the igintion wiring, either swap the gearbox or find an adaptor kit, engine mounts, and lots of little fiddly bits depending on the exact engines.

So some questions. How much am I looking at for a TDi? How much could I expect to get for a V8?

Tdi engines start at about 800 quid, and can be up to around 2000 for a really good 300 tdi.   Depending on the engine, a V8 is worth anything from 100 to 500 quid.   (Unless it's something a bit special)

As to whether it is a worthwhile process depends on how many miles you are going to be doing.

Thanks![/quote]
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
  • Referrals: 0
V8 to TDi
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 20:39:42 »
ive just bought a tdi but ia acordance with the deal i have to put it back together so thats how i got it at a good price of £700
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Neill

Re: V8 to TDi
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 06:07:09 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Exhaust System, some mods to the fuel system, some changes to the igintion wiring, either swap the gearbox or find an adaptor kit, engine mounts, and lots of little fiddly bits depending on the exact engines.......
As to whether it is a worthwhile process depends on how many miles you are going to be doing.

Actually I don't do enough to make it worth so much work. Particularly off putting are the "fiddly bits" which I know from experience can get very fiddly. But the thought of saving 40 Euros every time I fill up is nice.

Maybe I just need a new LR?

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal