AuthorTopic: Ok all you mechanics need your help  (Read 976 times)

Offline stevepage3

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Ok all you mechanics need your help
« on: February 20, 2009, 18:48:22 »
Land rove series 2.25 diesel.

emits white smoke on tickover and when you put your foot down emits a big cloud of white/grey smoke. I think this is incorrect timing setup but the fuel injection pump has bee turned as far clockwise as it can go.

My question is where do I go from here.

Do I need to change the timing chain and tensioner ? or is there another solution. ?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome as I want to get the truck MOT'd as soon as possible.

Cheers

Steve

Offline nellyscossy

Attack Member
Re: Ok all you mechanics need your help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:08:55 »
if this was a timing issue then the engine would run lumpy and there would be enourmous amounts of "diesel knock" (a sound thats like something knocking in the engine when you rev it up)  as a rule the coulor of the smoke defines what is burning
..white means water....grey/black means fuel...and blue means oil....

if you have white smoke then sounds like head gasket etc

hope this helps
if i can still see my bonnet then the water aint deep enough!!!!

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Re: Ok all you mechanics need your help
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 19:51:21 »
The use of a Rat tail file just to gain a wee bit more turn on the injector pump.   ;)  It it is still smoking white and smelling of unburnt fuel then it is time for a new timing chain. The tensioner is run using a oil pressure to push the chain tight to put it simply.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal