AuthorTopic: green stuff brake pads  (Read 2282 times)

Offline jjsaul

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
  • Referrals: 0
green stuff brake pads
« on: December 18, 2008, 00:46:01 »
EBC green stuff brake pads.... worth the money??

My 4.6 classic is due new pads and i don't know whether to put standard ones back on (i think theyve lasted about 12 months / 15k) or to put green stuff ones on. Obviously there is a significant price difference and wondered if anyone has tried them and can offer an opinion?

Thanks

James
James

...lovin dirty days out...

1983 OneTen V8 Station Wagon 3.5 (LPG)
1972 Range Rover V8
1992 Range Rover 4.6 (LPG)
1978 Range Rover Carmichael Commando 6x4
1972 Range Rover - Major project, FOR SALE
1976 Range Rover - Less of a project, FOR SALE
Previously: Range Rovers 1988, 1990 and others...
2005 Volvo V70 T5 SE (LPG) - daily driver

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
Re: green stuff brake pads
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 12:06:43 »
Ill be quite onest Ive tried them but dont think it makes a lot of difference just makes you more consious how you break so weahter this also has a effect who no;s but the price difference I dont think is warnted
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline squaddie_fox

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 12:23:59 »
i would stick with standards. had uprated ones on my old v8 rangie. didnt make much of a difference for the price as stated above.

unless you go all out with performance discs etc, i dont think it would be worth it.

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 21:12:28 »
How much difference? Halfrauds sell Disco pads for the same price as Paddocks sell Grenstuff pads, £26 for the front lest time I checked.

They aren't noticeably better than a good standard pad though, unless you cane them and get them hot.  I put greenstuff disks and pads in thge back of the LSE and it made a noticeable diffenrece for the better, still got the front to do though,

Greenstuff disks also corrode if you don't use them.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:20:34 »
How much difference? Halfrauds sell Disco pads for the same price as Paddocks sell Grenstuff pads, £26 for the front lest time I checked.

They aren't noticeably better than a good standard pad though, unless you cane them and get them hot.  I put greenstuff disks and pads in thge back of the LSE and it made a noticeable diffenrece for the better, still got the front to do though,

Greenstuff disks also corrode if you don't use them.
I nearly bought pads in halfords then walked away when i saw the price. Standard ones are about £12 ish from memory from paddocks etc.

I do tend to drive it quite hard and get the brakes warm if i'm driving a road with a lot of roundabouts (A5 tamworth to cannock for example) but haven't really had any problems with the standard ones other than they start to squeak a bit when they're warm as you pull up to stop.

From what everyone has said so far I might stick with standard ones for the moment as the discs don't need changing yet. Might upgrade the whole lot once the discs need doing.
James

...lovin dirty days out...

1983 OneTen V8 Station Wagon 3.5 (LPG)
1972 Range Rover V8
1992 Range Rover 4.6 (LPG)
1978 Range Rover Carmichael Commando 6x4
1972 Range Rover - Major project, FOR SALE
1976 Range Rover - Less of a project, FOR SALE
Previously: Range Rovers 1988, 1990 and others...
2005 Volvo V70 T5 SE (LPG) - daily driver

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 14:36:41 »
I'd say for a tenner more stick a set of greenstuff on and try them. They aren't as good on the LSE as on blue, despiter Blue having bigger tyres so I reckon the disks are a bit on the hard side, they do look in good nick which makes me think they are (soft ones tend to scrore).  I know the ones on Blue are Delphi from Paddocks, they have greenstuff on them and I've no complaints.

I tend to ignore the cost when it comes to safety related parts ;)
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline squaddie_fox

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 22:04:50 »
so basically, buy the uprated pads and discs at the same time as the standard discs are too hard for the pads alone to make much of a difference for the cost :roll:

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:03:37 »
Well it deepnds what's there already, I don't know what brand are fitted to the LSE and they aren't brillilant whatever pads I fit.  I know what brand of disks are on Blue and depsite having bigger tyres it stops well with greenstuff on.  Whether it's that much better I've never tried, but I havn't any complaints about the brakes, it will lock up on all but the dryest roads.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 10:18:32 »
As RRB said, when it comes to safety: tyres, lights, wipers and brakes buy the best. I put Green stuff 6000 pads all round along with the dotted and slotted Green stuff discs and there was an improvement but not a massive difference. I did notice they coped with brake fade alot better. I had original pads and discs on and towing a trailer over the hills suffered from brake fade quite badly (they were on there last legs though) the Green stuff set up in the same situation still stopped me with only a little deterioration in performance.

The other reason I like the Green stuff kit is that it does seem to be a little better quality than all the rest out there...... and I think its made in the U.K...... got to be the best!   :thumbup:

Merry Christmas all!

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 20:50:12 »
Break fade buy series 2a then tell me about break fade lol  sorry I no what you mean on a 3.9 v8 it can be quite hairy when that happens( scorch if you catch my drift)
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline Reggieroo

Attack Member
    • Nr Pershore, Worcestershire
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 12:42:24 »
EBC green stuff brake pads.... worth the money??

My 4.6 classic is due new pads and i don't know whether to put standard ones back on (i think theyve lasted about 12 months / 15k) or to put green stuff ones on. Obviously there is a significant price difference and wondered if anyone has tried them and can offer an opinion?

Thanks

James

To be honest James I don't really rate the EBC stuff. I fitted some performance EBC discs & green stuff pads to my BMW 740i & it was better before with standard stuff, if you brake hard you get brake shudder sometimes & I bedded them in proper. A friend of mine also fitted the same set up to his Volvo T5 & gets slight brakes shudder sometimes also.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:43:59 by Reggieroo »
1993 3.9 V8 Range Rover Classic
Audi 4.2 V8 S6 Quattro

For a taste of Ireland delivered direct to your door www.theirishshop.co.uk

My 4x4 websites.
www.offroad4x4s.com
www.offroadrangerovers.com
www.offroadlandrovers.com

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 20:13:43 »
To be honest James I don't really rate the EBC stuff. I fitted some performance EBC discs & green stuff pads to my BMW 740i & it was better before with standard stuff, if you brake hard you get brake shudder sometimes & I bedded them in proper. A friend of mine also fitted the same set up to his Volvo T5 & gets slight brakes shudder sometimes also.

Its difficult not comparing like with like.  My mate who rallies a Peugeot wouldn't touch EBC having tried them on a road rally car, but I have had nothing but good experiences with them on the Discovery racer. We use the brakes very hard, but they respond superbly.

That said for normal road use there is little wrong with genuine standard pads.

H

Offline ariane44

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 13:14:32 »
Hi!

On my LSE I started with OEM discs and pads. They wore slowly but braking was no better than only just OK with much fading after braking hard. Then I switched to Brembo Discs with original LR pads which eliminated the fading. Now I have green stuff with the brembos and cold they are equal to the originals, but when warmed up (which is usually the case for me in city traffic) they rock.

Cheers

Carsten ;-)

Offline Boddle

Attack Member
  • Boddle on Xbox
    • Coventry UK
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 08:24:15 »
 Tried Greenstuff  on 110 had a few problems with first time braking and coming of motorways where brakes didn't seem to work very well at all.
 I have used Mintex since which have given me better braking all round don't cost any more, Whether that would be the case if I were to use them for rallying I don't know but I would recommend Mintex pad for road use.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 17:34:30 »
You should never go far wrong with Mintex, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't one of the OEM suppliers anyway.

As always, if you buy branded they should be ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal